Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay Reevo
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

An exciting first attempt. Here are some highlights (mostly lowlights!) of the Russian's space program...

Gagarin is lost in lunar orbit inside his Vostok, without supplies. This was due to misunderstanding whether Gargarin had to move to the moon vicinity or if he could survey from lunar orbit. This would have saved Feoktistov too but we've learnt. However, Gagarin did successfully survey the moon; albeit, closer than planned.

Feoktistov, after a mistake with rocket power on the return to Earth and also was lost in lunar orbit during the wait home. With no ability to rescue, we have to report his death too.

The program's final effort was to get to the moon and back but by the end there was not enough power - again with miscorrections in power. There were no further fatalities thankfully but a further attempt may have been disastrous the Sutures hadn't been researched anyway. There were also huge financial wastage (unnecessary rendezvous purchase as well as maybe smaller rocket research?), which may have changed the outcome.

A summery of goals achieved (I picked all the easy plans) -

Sounding rocket
Artificial satellite
Man in space
Man in orbit (RIP)
Lunar survey (RIP)

13 points minus 4 for the fatalities equals - 9!

Lots to learn in a alternate universe next time! I'll be trawling through everybody's sessions to see what I can learn. For now, my brain aches; I'm going for a lay down!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice write up Jay, and a nice set up you have there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing worse than going for the move and realizing you're short by 1. Especially with an astronaut on board. Had a Venus Station mission that needed to be supplied by a separate rocket. When the supplies the station ran out, the other rocket would be landing with the extra supplies and rockets to get the astronaut back.

Of course, I was off by one and there was one more time marker on the trip than I calculated and millions and millions of dollars were wasted as the astronaut starved to death on Venus when the rocket showed up a year late.

We've all been there.

Darnit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stoakes
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful reminders for someone recently retired of the routine low-level incompetence of everyday corporate life. "The marketing plan was successfully rolled out in a dozen territories. Investment: two million bucks. Return: a hundred thousand dollars."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
Kitsto wrote:
Wonderful reminders for someone recently retired of the routine low-level incompetence of everyday corporate life. "The marketing plan was successfully rolled out in a dozen territories. Investment: two million bucks. Return: a hundred thousand dollars."

And a big promotion for the perp in chief I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.