Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Texeira
Germany
Dusseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So, due to my being entirely dense, in the last game I was playing, I was very close to an Alliance victory via objectives, and knew that the Imperial player knew where my base was, but had no units close to it. I made a rookie mistake, however, and didn't get an alliance for the system (Ryloth). My opponent on the their last mission did get loyalty on the system and was able to deploy a star destroyer and an AT-AT during the refresh phase.

The question is this:

Given that they had a troop on the system during the deployment phase, do I have to reveal my base during that phase, and does the corresponding movement of troops from the Rebel Base spot mean combat initiates during that phase?

I haven't been able to find corroboration on this point anywhere. Perhaps I'm just being dense again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Tarr
United States
Floyds Knobs
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as Ryloth became loyal to the empire, since your system was hidden there, you should have revealed the base.

Then, since you had troops in the Ryloth system, your opponent would not have been able to deploy there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rampson
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tarrkid wrote:
As soon as Ryloth became loyal to the empire, since your system was hidden there, you should have revealed the base.

Then, since you had troops in the Ryloth system, your opponent would not have been able to deploy there.

I don't have my rulebook handy, so I may be wrong, but I don't think you have to reveal the base if the Empire gains loyalty in the system. The Imperials need boots on the ground (or a card effect) to discover the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonia
Germany
Aachen
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scud-O wrote:
tarrkid wrote:

I don't have my rulebook handy, so I may be wrong, but I don't think you have to reveal the base if the Empire gains loyalty in the system. The Imperials need boots on the ground (or a card effect) to discover the base.

This is definitely wrong.

Quote:

Rules Reference Guide, pg. 11
REVEALING THE REBEL BASE
If the Imperial player ever has loyalty or ground units in the Rebel
base’s system, the Rebel player must reveal the Rebel base.

Back to the question: Due to the rule quoted above, the whole scenario would not happen in this way. Because the Rebel Base would have been revealed beforehand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Texeira
Germany
Dusseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool. Thanks guys. Well, I tend to accept not playing the first couple of games properly, so I'll take this as a learning opportunity. Good to know there are safeguards to protect from that type of thing, though to be honest, I should have gotten loyalty on that system the minute I knew that the Empire knew.

Also, it clearly makes putting the base on remote systems slightly more advantageous in the sense that there's one less way for the Empire to discover you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
mdtexeira wrote:

Also, it clearly makes putting the base on remote systems slightly more advantageous in the sense that there's one less way for the Empire to discover you.

True, but when you put it on a populous system you have the advantage of being able to deploy units to the system if it's loyal as well as to the rebel base space as long as the base is hidden. If you're wanting to turtle that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Texeira
Germany
Dusseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
True. Hmmm, I've only played the game twice as of now, and both with different people, and as such, we've still only used the beginning rules. I can imagine the question of hiding vs turtling becomes even more interesting when you're using action card abilities and have some choice of initial systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mdtexeira wrote:
True. Hmmm, I've only played the game twice as of now, and both with different people, and as such, we've still only used the beginning rules. I can imagine the question of hiding vs turtling becomes even more interesting when you're using action card abilities and have some choice of initial systems.

Do yourself a favor and ditch the starting rules forever. You haven't really played until you've done random starting systems and added the action cards in.

Plus, you haven't lived until you've watched the Empire cry because two or three of their starting systems have just one production icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Umstattd
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
All Hail Lelouch
mbmbmbmbmb
mdtexeira wrote:

The opening setup is ok. But the action cards really don't add much more complexity.

Also the rebels are at a significant disadvantage without the use of action cards as the rebel action cards are generally better than the empire ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.