Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Will the upcoming Kickstarter prices be significantly lower than retail? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Viper .
msg tools
I would hope so. It would only make sense if the upcoming Kickstarter offered significant discounts over retail. Otherwise, why wait months or even a year or more for delivery?

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No, why would they be? The only reason the initial KS was so low was because they severely misjudged how much money they would need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Gerba
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Viper5121 wrote:
I would hope so. It would only make sense if the upcoming Kickstarter offered significant discounts over retail. Otherwise, why wait months or even a year or more for delivery?

Opinions?

Please look through the forums before posting about a topic that has already been brought up.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1640307/ks-price-guessings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you can't buy retail! So it's not like it'll come to cool stuff at 60% msrp.

Plus it's awesome and should be supported!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Boyeldieu
United Kingdom
Glasgow
-
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, if you buy it retail, you will wait even longer than the backers to get it. So if the reason you don't want to kickstart is because you don't want to wait, you can't get it any faster elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theweefrenchman wrote:
Also, if you buy it retail, you will wait even longer than the backers to get it. So if the reason you don't want to kickstart is because you don't want to wait, you can't get it any faster elsewhere.

Well, except for eBay. But I would assume the Kickstarter will be cheaper than some of the madness on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no reason it won't be cheaper than the first kickstarter. After all, everything is already done and they just need to press the copy button.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
And if people DON'T kickstart it, they won't even have the money to reprint it in the first place.

So it only makes sense for the game to be priced at whatever is reasonable and appropriate for Adam and the business, and that may mean retail pricing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Elyklord wrote:
And if people DON'T kickstart it, they won't even have the money to reprint it in the first place.

So it only makes sense for the game to be priced at whatever is reasonable and appropriate for Adam and the business, and that may mean retail pricing

I don't want to ruin the mood here, but Kickstarter for reprints is just a way to keep track of how many units it is legitimate to reprint, nothing else (at least, when the KDU newsletter announcing the reprint was done, that was the original intention). And Kickstarter eats a chunk of the profits, so I would not expect a big discount for that.

On the other hand, new stuff, maybe... Or maybe I'm wrong anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerbanator wrote:
Viper5121 wrote:

Opinions?

Please look through the forums before posting about a topic that has already been brought up.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1640307/ks-price-guessings

Wait, do people do that? There's a search function?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
I see no reason it won't be cheaper than the first kickstarter. After all, everything is already done and they just need to press the copy button.

I can tell you I'll personally be insulted if the game isn't free to at least the first 200 backers. I mean, we're doing all the work here being forced to wait for the game to be printed. Plus I heard Poots made like $150 million bucks profit on the first printing, so it's about time he gave back to the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

I can tell you I'll personally be insulted if the game isn't free to at least the first 200 backers. I mean, we're doing all the work here being forced to wait for the game to be printed. Plus I heard Poots made like $150 million bucks profit on the first printing, so it's about time he gave back to the community.

When will we have a designer that makes board games great again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Retail? What retail?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Doe
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Seems like a key point of tension is the high quality minis that miniatures folks like, value, and pay for... versus "gamers" who like minis, but don't need the high quality and generally don't want to pay for them.

I would love to see different price points for different audiences. One package with "poor quality but cheaper and pre assembled" minis for board gamers. Another package with the current "high quality minis" for miniature fans and collectors. I suspect logistically that would not be doable, but as somebody in the "gamer" camp and really struggling on the ability to justify the price for a game, I can hope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlayerZ wrote:
Seems like a key point of tension is the high quality minis that miniatures folks like, value, and pay for... versus "gamers" who like minis, but don't need the high quality and generally don't want to pay for them.

I would love to see different price points for different audiences. One package with "poor quality but cheaper and pre assembled" minis for board gamers. Another package with the current "high quality minis" for miniature fans and collectors. I suspect logistically that would not be doable, but as somebody in the "gamer" camp and really struggling on the ability to justify the price for a game, I can hope...

Poots is famous for saying time and again that he'd love to produce a mass market version that mostly just uses cardboard counters, but that the demand for such a thing just isn't there.

Indeed, his original vision for this game was to get it mass produced to the point where you can find it on the shelf at Walmart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Doe
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
It's certainly a tough problem to solve. Personally I would love "cheaper" minis (with less quality), but would not want to have to settle for cardboard standees (and would be willing to pay for it). Gets complicated fast.

In a fantasy world, they would team up with CoolMiniOrNot and use their production/distribution reach to get the scale to get the price per mini down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he'll do what he did last KS and let you swap the minis out in the pledge manager. I swapped all of mine from the base game and it credited me enough to get the expansions. I just wish I could have swapped out the expansion minis too. Instead I sold them on Ebay later. The nice thing is that it provided me some extra money to get a sweet set of custom standees printed up at my local Staples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rod
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'd be surprised if it's less than 250-300 dollars, there is absolutely no way that it'll be priced like the first kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
PlayerZ wrote:

On the other hand, if the option was there in the original KS, I would have picked a miniatures only pledge without all the game stuff. However, now that I have the game and decided to get into it, I am really glad I did. This is a unique game and part of its uniqueness is really high quality miniatures. Step out of your comfort zone and embrace something a little different. Or get the game and sell off the excess miniatures then end up with a cheap game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you buy a game and then sell miniatures separately you can very well end up having a free game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Gloucester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:

I see two reasons it won't be cheaper than the first kickstarter: supply and demand. There is easily a lot of demand at the price levels of the original kickstarter, if not higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han Solo
msg tools
t3clis wrote:
Elyklord wrote:

I don't want to ruin the mood here, but Kickstarter for reprints is just a way to keep track of how many units it is legitimate to reprint, nothing else (at least, when the KDU newsletter announcing the reprint was done, that was the original intention). And Kickstarter eats a chunk of the profits, so I would not expect a big discount for that.

On the other hand, new stuff, maybe... Or maybe I'm wrong anyway.

That's not the only reason. Manufacturers have minimum orders for reprints (usually at least 5k)so its probably not actually financially feasible for Adam to foot the bill up front. You're talking at least $500k.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qualm wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

I see two reasons it won't be cheaper than the first kickstarter: supply and demand. There is easily a lot of demand at the price levels of the original kickstarter, if not higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Qualm wrote:
sirgalin wrote:

Is your name Inigo Montoya?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remy H.
United States
Jacksonville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
It'll be interesting to see how they price it, especially since the original KS was actually pretty affordable wasn't it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.