Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Grand Prix» Forums » Rules

Subject: Refreshing tyres rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules keep talking about switching tyre types, but we assumed you could simply "refresh" your soft tyres during a pit stop (flip the marker back to the unused side).
Correct?hh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Peterson
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
schwartz!
badge
My hovercraft is full of eels!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you have to change tire type. If you currently have soft tires you have to change to hard tires, or you can change to wet tires if it's raining.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
The rules keep talking about switching tyre tipes, but we assumed you could simply "refresh" your soft tyres during a pit stop (flip the marker back to the unused side).
Correct?


Francis, you are correct. You may change tires but keep the same type. Its just that at some point you have to switch to the other type of tires.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
The rules keep talking about switching tyre tipes, but we assumed you could simply "refresh" your soft tyres during a pit stop (flip the marker back to the unused side).
Correct?


Francis, you are correct. You may change tires but keep the same type. Its just that at some point you have to switch to the other type of tires.


This is confusing. Can you go the entire race with 1 tire type (soft/dry/wet)? Meaning, you can pit and "change" from hard to hard or soft to soft?

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ianoble wrote:
Jeff Horger wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
The rules keep talking about switching tyre tipes, but we assumed you could simply "refresh" your soft tyres during a pit stop (flip the marker back to the unused side).
Correct?


Francis, you are correct. You may change tires but keep the same type. Its just that at some point you have to switch to the other type of tires.


This is confusing. Can you go the entire race with 1 tire type (soft/dry/wet)? Meaning, you can pit and "change" from hard to hard or soft to soft?



The only time you can go with only one tire type is if the race is wet for the entire time. Otherwise, at some point, you must change tire types or be disqualified after the conclusion of the race. But there is no fixed requirement for when to do that.

So you cannot go the entire race with either soft or hard. However, if you stop twice, two of the stints can be the same type, including back-to-back.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Basically tires work like this: you will have to pit either once or twice a race, depending. If you switch from, for example, hard tires to soft tires during the Pit Stop then you'd only have to Pit the one time, theoretically. If when you made the Pit Stop you switched from Soft to Soft, then you'd have to Pit at least one more time during the race in order to switch to hard tires. If it started to rain during the race then you could switch to wet tires as your second tire type. If the game started out in rainy conditions and the rain never stopped, then you could run the whole race on only the wet tires.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rccoll wrote:
Basically tires work like this: you will have to pit either once or twice a race, depending. If you switch from, for example, hard tires to soft tires during the Pit Stop then you'd only have to Pit the one time, theoretically. If when you made the Pit Stop you switched from Soft to Soft, then you'd have to Pit at least one more time during the race in order to switch to hard tires. If it started to rain during the race then you could switch to wet tires as your second tire type. If the game started out in rainy conditions and the rain never stopped, then you could run the whole race on only the wet tires.


Ok good. This is how I understood it and played it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious on what the rationale is for this rule.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Thain
Scotland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Using 2 types of tyre during a Grand Prix is part of the current regulations for Formula 1, therefore, the game is just reflecting reality.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeff Horger wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
The rules keep talking about switching tyre tipes, but we assumed you could simply "refresh" your soft tyres during a pit stop (flip the marker back to the unused side).
Correct?


Francis, you are correct. You may change tires but keep the same type. Its just that at some point you have to switch to the other type of tires.


It will still cost 2 duration points to change to new soft tires, right?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke DeWitt
United States
Highlands Ranch
CO
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
macbeth77 wrote:
Using 2 types of tyre during a Grand Prix is part of the current regulations for Formula 1, therefore, the game is just reflecting reality.


TIL
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Horger
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
Jeff Horger wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
The rules keep talking about switching tyre tipes, but we assumed you could simply "refresh" your soft tyres during a pit stop (flip the marker back to the unused side).
Correct?


Francis, you are correct. You may change tires but keep the same type. Its just that at some point you have to switch to the other type of tires.


It will still cost 2 duration points to change to new soft tires, right?


Yes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bishop
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
broggi wrote:
I'm curious on what the rationale is for this rule.


That is the rule in Formula 1 (and also in Indy Car on road and street circuits). The basic idea is that if the rules force tire stops, then there's pressure on the tire manufacturers to build tires that will have quite a lot of grip at least for a little bit, which will help greatly in qualifying, but then will wear out.

The idea behind having two compounds is to mix things up a little bit--if you start up front you usually start on the soft tires to build enough of an early lead that you can pit and keep your lead. If you start mid-pack, maybe you roll the dice and start on the hard tires, run longer, and hope to leapfrog the leaders. And maybe, if you think it's going to rain, you start on hards, hoping to switch to wets just as the rain comes, which saves you a stop over the guys who started on softs and had to pit before the rain when they wore out.

And all this was a change from the 2000's, when "the way to make things more exciting" was to forbid tire changes and make the tire companies build durable tires that maintained performance and didn't shed rubber as much, which tends to make all the corners single lane. The pendulum swings.
5 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the background. Not being a fan of actual racing (just boardgames), I don't know much about the sport.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harold Coleman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I am running on soft tires and I have taken my soft tire bonus. If I change from soft to soft, spending 2 duration points, do I get a new (2nd) soft tire bonus?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I asked this question a while back under this thread: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1635111/few-questions, and it was confirmed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.