Subject: Let's talk about the Ambition cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of us who do not enjoy the mastermind mode, we have 40 cards that are going to be used only when playing with the Sinister Ambitions scheme. While I'm glad that we have the opportunity to play Legendary a bit differently, I also wish that they would have come up with more schemes that used the Ambition cards.

Since the second Secret Wars volume had only 10 Ambition cards, do you thin it is possible to have such cards inserted in other big box expansions, so that it would make sense to introduce more schemes that use them? Do you think we will see Ambition cards again?

I know some people like to use Ambition cards as replacements for the weaker masterminds' tactics (Red Skull, Magneto, Dr Doom), or to place them in the villain deck. What other uses have you found for them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markococo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
For those of us who do not enjoy the mastermind mode, we have 40 cards that are going to be used only when playing with the Sinister Ambitions scheme. While I'm glad that we have the opportunity to play Legendary a bit differently, I also wish that they would have come up with more schemes that used the Ambition cards.

Since the second Secret Wars volume had only 10 Ambition cards, do you thin it is possible to have such cards inserted in other big box expansions, so that it would make sense to introduce more schemes that use them? Do you think we will see Ambition cards again?

I know some people like to use Ambition cards as replacements for the weaker masterminds' tactics (Red Skull, Magneto, Dr Doom), or to place them in the villain deck. What other uses have you found for them?

I use 'em instead of henchmen when the henchmen that are available just won't fit into the theme...

Adds a good bit of variety. You can play 'em as escape effects or ambush effects (or alternate them) depending on how difficult you want to make it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelin Dumitru
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good idea! Wouldn't it work to have them as Fight effects?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdelinDumitru wrote:
That's a good idea! Wouldn't it work to have them as Fight effects?

If they were just fight effects you might tend to just not fight them, especially the really bad ones, and maybe let them escape.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to include 3-5 of them in the Villain deck and, when they come up, I run their effect immediately and then draw again from the Villain Deck (sort of a "Pain upon Pain" or "Plots upon Plots" variation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mickey Stirrups wrote:
I use 'em instead of henchmen when the henchmen that are available just won't fit into the theme...

I'm not sure what you mean by this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
randomlife wrote:
Mickey Stirrups wrote:

I think it means - USE (10) Ambition cards as replacement to a Henchmen group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ducko Kaiju
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thud105 wrote:
I tend to include 3-5 of them in the Villain deck and, when they come up, I run their effect immediately and then draw again from the Villain Deck (sort of a "Pain upon Pain" or "Plots upon Plots" variation).

I like this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ducko wrote:
randomlife wrote:
Mickey Stirrups wrote:

I think it means - USE (10) Ambition cards as replacement to a Henchmen group.

But how is it possible that there are no available henchmen that fit into the theme?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Steele
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you want something a little creative, add the deck to the side. When a villain escapes, reveal the top card of the ambition deck. If the villain's fight cost is at least the cost of the ambition card, activate it & discard it. If not, store that fight cost in a "bank" until another villain escapes, and add that villain's fight to the bank to ultimately get those big ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Organous wrote:
If you want something a little creative, add the deck to the side. When a villain escapes, reveal the top card of the ambition deck. If the villain's fight cost is at least the cost of the ambition card, activate it & discard it. If not, store that fight cost in a "bank" until another villain escapes, and add that villain's fight to the bank to ultimately get those big ones.

For me when a villain escapes is the last moment I want to add an extra effect, I would rather have this idea when the city is empty, i.e. at anytime during a players turn when the city becomes empty of villains or masterminds play a Mastermind ambition card, if the player defeats it play another, if not do the effect on the card and the ambition card remains stationary in the city until defeated.

This way the game becomes harder in two ways but allows some control always to the players. Do I hit that last villain and draw an ambition card? Do I take out the ambition to avoid the effect? Too few city spaces got to empty some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McKeehan
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer the original question, I don't think we will see another scheme that uses them. I own both Secret Wars expansions and my group has yet to have someone play as the mastermind. I think it was an interesting idea that just never took off the way they hoped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just some feedback (edit) on my thoughts above.
I just finished a game during which the city was cleared out, this left all those attack cards lost for potential rounds when a bystander was turned over with the next hand. What if the next hand turns a master strike or a twist?
So I pulled out the ambition cards to check what would happen, I wasn't going to use them as they weren't part of the All New Weekly Challenge set by MasterGM.
As it happened the two cards that would have been played would have added little to the game, both effects would not have triggered, their attack amounted to nothing and would have been brushed aside by my hands as I was short of hitting the MM by very little. However if they had both remained, let's say I could have used all my attack on the MM both hands, then the next villain would have entered the rooftops rather the the sewers and as my next hands were recruit heavy, as in the actual game, three villains were quickly roaming the city and causing mischief. With the Ambition cards they would have been verging on escape, without the Ambition cards they were not so much of an issue.
The game turned out to be well under control but I can remember other games when the city was clear one moment but not in my control and filling quickly, charging villains etc.
An empty city can be a false friend, a frustrating one, but it always drops the tension. I'm not sure if this idea is a solution without trying it more but it could ratchet things up for the heroes on those quiet nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ovi Matteo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about this:

Each time you play a Master Strike, if it does not affect any player, then resolve the effect of an ambition card.

OR

You can play it on top of each Strike.

Since Ambition cards are played by the MM, I thought it was thematic to attach them to the strikes.

I would love to play more with these cards without having to be the Mastermind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Mills
United Kingdom
Forest Row
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ovidutz wrote:
How about this:

Each time you play a Master Strike, if it does not affect any player, then resolve the effect of an ambition card.

OR

You can play it on top of each Strike.

Since Ambition cards are played by the MM, I thought it was thematic to attach them to the strikes.

I would love to play more with these cards without having to be the Mastermind.

I've tried shuffling ambition cards into the v deck instead of ms, but I found doing the ms and the A effect quite complicated. Maybe the player affected could strike the A card before it takes effect and then resolve the ms. I even played the A card into the city as well as being a ms, but it is then hitting you three times, once for the ms, once for the A effect and once for pushing villains through the city.

That's why I started considering it as an empty city MM effect, there are no villains to carry out the MM scheme so the MM tries something. It adds another layer to the game for players to make choices about, I still haven't tried it properly though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Warpinski
United States
Green Bay
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Next game, I am going to reveal an ambition every time a villain is cleared from the city.

Then use the attack power to strike heroes from the hq... I don't know or play to another villain in the city to boost their strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.