$20.00
$60.00
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. Does having an avatar makes your posts more visible?
Yes, a lot. Posts by people with avatars are a lot more visible.
Yes, but only a bit. Doesn't matter that much.
No. There's no difference.
2. Does having an avatar makes your posts more credible?
Yes, a lot. Having an avatar makes you seem more reliable.
Yes, but only a little. It's nice to see you've put in some effort.
No, doesn't matter. It's what you write that counts.
      110 answers
Poll created by Geert Vinaskov

Thanks for answering!

Also, feel free to discuss away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Having an avatar helps people read your comments in the context of other stuff you've said - could be good or bad! I don't think it adds credibility at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it makes you more recognizable, not more visible. There are a couple of avatars I would recognize directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J.
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the_vinman wrote:
I think it makes you more recognizable, not more visible. There are a couple of avatars I would recognize directly.

Yeah, this, and maybe slightly more credible, but not much. Mostly, it's the 'New User' banner that's a red flag, not that avatars are a green flag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part avatars make users more recognizable. But note there are corner cases.

There are a number of avatars that have been used by multiple people on the site. In this case the avatars function to obfuscate the users rather than helping to identify them.

And there are also users who frequently change their avatars. Since people tend to look at the avatar and identify users that way, changing the avatar is like making a new profile.

You really should keep track of users by their username. It is the only truly unique and static part of the profile. But that is a difficult habit to get into, and difficult even to maintain. We are after all visual creatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does getting votes in a poll make an answer correct? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
col_w wrote:
I don't think it adds credibility at all.

Umm...

col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geert Vinaskov wrote:
Also, feel free to discuss away.

a thought that probably would have been more valuable on its own. Without the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.