BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Card Games - Citadels rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annique Smith
South Africa
Pretoria
flag msg tools
I am looking for a card game that can be played by 2 people or more. I have come across Citadels. I am wondering how this game plays with 2 people.

Are there any other good card games that I can look at? I have considered Bang but I know you need min 4 players for that. I am not a huge fan of Dominion. I have the 7 Wonders Boardgame so I am not sure that I also want to Duel game unless it's very different and very good.

I am not looking for a long game like the Lord of the Rings TCG etc, but something that can be played in an hour or less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your limit for "more people"? Should the game be playable with 4 or 5 or even more?

I have played Citadels with 3, and it works fine. For 2-player experiences, check for example Rahdo's video.

Have you come across Innovation? We play with 3, but people usually play and prefer it with 2. (Plays upto 4, although we have not tried it.) Usually plays around an hour, sometimes more, sometimes a little less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Bennetts
United Kingdom
Wellington
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tides of Time or Tides of Madness would fit, for two players exclusively, I reckon.

For 2 up it gets a bit trickier.

Diamonds for a more traditional card game goes 2-6 and works well with any number between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLastPixelNinja wrote:
I am looking for a card game that can be played by 2 people or more. I have come across Citadels. I am wondering how this game plays with 2 people.

Are there any other good card games that I can look at? I have considered Bang but I know you need min 4 players for that. I am not a huge fan of Dominion. I have the 7 Wonders Boardgame so I am not sure that I also want to Duel game unless it's very different and very good.

I am not looking for a long game like the Lord of the Rings TCG etc, but something that can be played in an hour or less.

Citadels with 2 is similar to Citadels with 4, as in: there are 4 characters (and 4 cities) on the table.

Aside from the fact that you work two characters, the game is similar.

It works pretty well with 2 people!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Prather
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
Jambo
Bohnanza
Lost Cities
Star Realms

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Citadels with 2 quite a bit. It is actually a game, I prefer with lower player counts.

These are similar:
Imperial Settlers
51st State: Master Set

Going OOP:
Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game
Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game

Has dice as well, but works well with 2:
Seasons
Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Card game" is a loose term anymore but here goes...

Strictly card games for 2-players but they can play more people:

6 Nimmt! (or whichever reiteration you prefer)
Coloretto
Cthulhu Realms

Games that are card games but have some additional parts (tokens and whatnot):
Imperial Settlers
Progress: Evolution of Technology
Machi Koro: Bright Lights, Big City

EDIT:

Forgot to say that Citadels is a very good game but what VERY unusual is that it plays well with either just two OR as many as the game can handle. The only reason I don't play this more is that it does tend to run a little long and 2/3 of the way through it starts to feel a bit redundant (to me).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would like to voice another vote of support for "Citadels" at 2 players. Some people say it's best with more but I think it's more strategic with 2 (although admittedly quite different than with 4 or more).

Incidentally, it doesn't work well with 3 players with the official rules; there's a serious flaw that can be rectified with a variant (suggested by the designer himself), see here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/6212284#6212284

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.