Hide
10 Posts

Allegiance: A Realm Divided» Forums » General

Subject: Wondering if this is for me? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris nelson
msg tools
I played Magic about 15 years ago and while I have no desire to go back to MTG because I despise chasing cards now I am looking for a game to fill that itch I get every now and then to play a Magic type game without a huge investment. I've heard this game take pretty liberally from MTG I just wanted opinions from people that have played it before I decide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisn96 wrote:
I played Magic about 15 years ago and while I have no desire to go back to MTG because I despise chasing cards now I am looking for a game to fill that itch I get every now and then to play a Magic type game without a huge investment. I've heard this game take pretty liberally from MTG I just wanted opinions from people that have played it before I decide.
well, we never played Magic...but we do really enjoy this game! the Heroes are all very diff, we can play in about 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, and it's simply a lot of fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hal Martin
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love my Oilers!
badge
I miss my boy :(
mbmbmb
This will absolutely scratch that itch. I was in the exact same boat as you and had been looking for something as well. While there are other games that might fit the bill, such as Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn or an LCG, this game takes collecting right out of the picture, which is nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The major thing missing is the deck building. Otherwise, the gameplay mechanics are very close.

I love this game. I dislike the M:tG collectable nature, so i rate Allegiances higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris nelson
msg tools
Actually the lack of deck building is a plus in my situation. I really don't want to spend a lot of time working on decks for playing against my wife and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisn96 wrote:

I was pretty much the exact same as you. I was able to play this soon after release with a friend and it absolutely scratches that itch. I didn't like the collecting/card chasing either but did enjoy the process. Plus I really like the hero boards and the way every single one plays so much different. It's a fluid and fun game.

I still haven't played every hero, but each one has been interesting and the art is fantastic.

This would definitely fill that MT:G urge for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Saxberg
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your Magic instincts will serve you well, it's a complex game, but you will learn it much faster than you would "cold" because it is definitely a cousin of MTG. But this has none of the broken combos Magic does. It's highly balanced for such diversity of characters and there's a real story arc of starting small and growing to greater and greater power before finally somebody wins.

I recommend it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game and highly recommended. Try to pick up the promo edition with 2 additional heroes and lots of extra cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only downside I have found to this game is how "hard" it is to acquire.. From the designers directly online, no real distribution so far.

For me, this game really captures what I like about card games. While luck of the draw is obviously a thing (though no mana in the deck and separate draw piles really mitigates a lot of that, but it's still a card game), over more than a single sample game, skill will clearly be rewarded. Evaluations of things like in magic, card value, tempo, board state evaluations, card advantage, matchup differences.. All those things matter in the same way they do in magic in my opinion. The full stack implementation also means that keeping resources open during your opponent's turn matters, etc. You will clearly see a lot of similarities in your decision process, and that's what rocked in Magic, at least in my opinion.

Taking the deck building out and drawing from the same shared decks makes the whole experience kinda like an arcade game of MtG. No fuss, no preparation, take a strong character, a bunch of cool cards and make the best decisions possible. Then the game is dripping with theme and plays completely different for each character.

It is an amazing card game for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egor Tilpunov
Germany
Bad Homburg
Hesse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, this game has no deck building at all.

It got several prebuild card decks (unlike MTG) for every character. So you can decide, whether you want a basic (and cheaper) creature, more advanced ( more expensive) creature or non-creature cards (something like instants/interrupts).

Also every character has a number of abilities, and while you pay for a card every time you play it, once you play for unlocking abilities, it just cools down for a number of rounds. Thus you'll use them often, and this what makes the game very different from MTG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.