Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Hello,

I just placed an order for one of these boards but was wondering if it (or any brand for that matter) need any waxing or care otherwise coming straight from the shipping container before it's ready to be played on? Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Hello,

I just placed an order for one of these boards but was wondering if it (or any brand for that matter) need any waxing or care otherwise coming straight from the shipping container before it's ready to be played on? Thanks in advance.

Yep - it will be ready to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Perry
United States
Red Lion
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the info. Mr. Willard himself just responded to an email I sent him which leaves me with some follow-up questions:

The board's lacquer finish is playable without anything further needing to be done. However, it will not be very fast. The simplest product is an aerosol spray designed for furniture polishing/cleaning. In Canada a brand name is Pledge. Any generic brand will work just as well. Simply spray on and thoroughly wipe off with a clean dry cloth. This will remove body oils from players' hands and food residue from snacks and drinks. If playing for a number of hours it's good to take a break during which time you clean the board.

Through our own experimentation, I do not recommend using heavy paste wax products. However, the rule of thumb is that any product used on the board is compatible with furniture waxing and cleaning.

1.) How important is "being fast?" Does a quicker board equate to a more enjoyable game?

2.) Everything I've read says that using a cleaner like Pledge is very bad while waxing is very good/important. Is this board an exception?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
flag msg tools
Kusanagi888 wrote:
Thanks for the info. Mr. Willard himself just responded to an email I sent him which leaves me with some follow-up questions:

The board's lacquer finish is playable without anything further needing to be done. However, it will not be very fast. The simplest product is an aerosol spray designed for furniture polishing/cleaning. In Canada a brand name is Pledge. Any generic brand will work just as well. Simply spray on and thoroughly wipe off with a clean dry cloth. This will remove body oils from players' hands and food residue from snacks and drinks. If playing for a number of hours it's good to take a break during which time you clean the board.

Through our own experimentation, I do not recommend using heavy paste wax products. However, the rule of thumb is that any product used on the board is compatible with furniture waxing and cleaning.

1.) How important is "being fast?" Does a quicker board equate to a more enjoyable game?

2.) Everything I've read says that using a cleaner like Pledge is very bad while waxing is very good/important. Is this board an exception?

I was somewhat disappointed when I received my willard pro, after having watched crokinole tournament videos where the disks were flying around like air hockey pucks. I also read reviews of other boards that spoke of disks gliding smoothly across the surface. This was definitely not the case for me on the new willard pro, and this email at least indicates that my board surface is not defective.

I'd also like to know the answers to your questions. Fyi, the board comes with a tube of some granular substance to use like shuffleboard powder during play. I haven't treated the board surface in any way and use the powder for faster play, but am not sure if the powder adds wear to the surface finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Allen
United States
Longwood
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago I found recommendations on this site for waxing then buffing with 100% pure carnauba wax. This is what I do and it definitely works great for me. I have a Hellinski board but I assume the same applies.

Here is a thread discussing this:
What Carnauba Wax Brands have people tried...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.