7 Posts

Captain Sonar» Forums » Variants

Subject: Would 10 players work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm having a gaming session at my house this weekend for my birthday. I'd originally planned for 8 players but for various reasons have ended up with 10.

Most games we were planning on playing go up to 10 anyway or I can easily meddle with to work with more. However Captain Sonar I'm a bit stumped on.

My thought is maybe to give two people a role they could share (Radio Operator perhaps?), or I could have someone sit between two others so they can see and help both + be another layer of communication to help/hinder (between the Captain and Radio Operator I was thinking).

I presume no-one has experimented with this yet, but for those who have played the game do you think either of the above ideas would work even slightly?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Id split the captain into two roles. One controls the ships movement, the other controls the system activation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's actually a great suggestion. They can sit between the captain and first mate and work with both to time the activations.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

During the games I've played so far, I've noticed that the First Mate and the Engineer need to coordinate with each other very closely, and then the combined result of that coordination needs to be fed to the Captain. And this is often where things fall down!

I don't know how many times the First Mate in excitement told the Captain that he has Torpedo's ready while the Engineer shows two weapons icons crossed out! Yes, this problem is certainly fixed with experienced players, but in your case, I see this as a perfect role for the extra two players...

Details:

Someone (5th player) to stand over the shoulders of the First Mate and the Engineer to coordinate their actions in order to meet the Captain's ever-changing priorities. So instead of the Captain always having to communicate with both the First Mate and the Engineer, the Captain can instead only concern himself with communicating with the 5th player, and let the 5th player ensure that the actions by both the FM and Engineer is done in coordination with the larger picture.

So basically, the 5th player can take on the role of a true First Officer, and the First Mate can be thought of instead as the Systems Officer!

5th Player Job Description: First Officer
Coordinates the actions of Systems Officer and The Engineer to ensure continual advancement of the Captain's priorities, while maintaining awareness of the sub's overall position and status. Discusses course of action options with the Captain given the state of the sub's systems, damage, and operational status. Conveys the Captain's current priorities to the Systems Officer and Engineer, to influence the best actions to take with each movement. Continually provides the Captain with systems updates, informing him of which systems are available and operational, and which systems are due to come on line next. Keeps the Captain updated on which courses to sail, based on system's operational status, as informed by the Engineer.

That's all just off the top of my head. With a few minutes of really trying, I can re-write it to be more succinct and sound more official!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
That's awesome Barry. It sounds like a more defined version of what Christian suggested Basically someone whose primary role is to make sure that the systems are functional when they need to be and relaying all the info between the Captain and other two roles - as you say, a True First mate.

The only thing I wonder is where they should sit - ideally they want to be feeding info from 3 stations but can only sit between two, unless as you say they hover over peoples shoulders. Depends how long the game goes, standing for that long in an intense game might get quite tiring is all I'm thinking! Not to mention by standing up they might catch a glimpse of the other team over the barrier.

I'll have a think and let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, you have a great point that a standing player can see the other team's situation.

I hadn't thought about that. So standing is not an option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan T
Sweden
flag msg tools
The 5:th player could be used to solve the problem of error checking.

I´d put the 5:th player as a spy on the opponents sub (standing behind the First mate of opposing team) to check that everything is played according to rules and with a mandate to call a stop if something´s wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.