Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Whitney
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a gate is sealed with the Elder Sign Relic preventing new cultists from apprearing in the town, and a card of that town is drawn during summoning that includes the shoggoth icon, do shoggoths move or is that ignored also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sims
United States
Bryant
Arkansas
flag msg tools
badge
So much for Pathos...
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation is that the Elder Sign relic would only prevent the placement of new cultists, but you would still play the Shoggoth move part of the card.

The designer, Chuck Yager, often posts here. Perhaps he'll see this and nail it down once and for all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite clear actually. No 'new' cultists or shoggoths may be placed there. Everything else works as normal (yes, they move!!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
darkabolisher wrote:
It's quite clear actually. No 'new' cultists or shoggoths may be placed there. Everything else works as normal (yes, they move!!).

it is clearly by omission, which unfortunately isn't a good solid indicator as far as board game rules go.

fully clear would be "no cultists or shuggoths may be placed there, but shuggoths may still be moved due to cards draw of that color"

But I agree that the literal reading of the rules (which can be wrong at times) says they definitely move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Whitney
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies. I played it that the shoggoths moved, but thought I'd ask how other players interpreted the situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The previous posters are correct. The Shoggoths would in fact still move if the symbol is revealed on a town marked with the Elder Sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Whitney
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Chuck. It's awesome that the game designer takes time to answer questions. My wife and I love the game by the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

fully clear would be "no cultists or shuggoths may be placed there, but shuggoths may still be moved due to cards draw of that color"
That is definitely not clear and as a matter of fact, it raises even more questions.

But anyway, the only part in the rules that is truly unclear, is where it says that in order to draw a relic you need to destroy a shoggoth by spending 3 actions, but then, it was confirmed that the hunter (who 'may' do that with only 1 action) still gets to draw one either way.

Finally, (a bit irrelevant here and I apologize) I believe that Cthulhu should've been a symbol on the board instead of a card (although it's art is stunning).

Everything else seems very well done imo! Thank you Chuck for this great variant and your quick responses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Greer
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoption as sons, by whom we cry, “Abba! Father!”
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...if you eliminate all the cultists in that area where you sealed a gate (eradicate) do you then flip to the elder sign seal as well? Or is that only done with a relic card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Whitney
United States
Morton Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand it, you have to use the Elder Sign relic card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
++++ ++++
Greece
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jstjred wrote:
So...if you eliminate all the cultists in that area where you sealed a gate (eradicate) do you then flip to the elder sign seal as well? Or is that only done with a relic card?

It's only done with the relic card 'Elder sign'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Yager
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct again on only sealing a town with the Elder Sign relic. And thanks guys for the kind words. Happy to post here and offer answers as questions arise. Good gaming to you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.