United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game is obviously getting a lot of love; it has amazing components and artwork, not to mention the fact the game itself is actually really good.

We have Scythe: Invaders from Afar releasing in a couple of months, but we know this was essentially designed alongside the main game (the home bases are printed on the original board amongst other things).

I just wonder if this will get any further expansions, and if so what will the be? Obviously this thread is pure speculation (for now, maybe Jamey might drop some hints now and then).

The only other thing I would say is even if this doesn't get any more expansions I'm more than happy with it as it is. Plenty of variability, and a good long life I reckon.

So my thoughts are:

- The obvious one is more objective, factory and encounter cards. This could just be a small box expansion (maybe even a clamshell pack?) with a bunch of each of them in.

- New player boards with different combinations of top and bottom row actions (not really necessary as with 7 different one (with the expansion) there can't be much more variety left).

- New factions could be introduced in an expansion the same size of Invaders. These could come with a large home base token that sits on top of an unused faction. The issue I could foresee with this is that (I imagine) the existing factions have been developed with their home bases, adjacent territories and abilities in mind - so any new ones would have to be the same. There would then be the issue of where do you place the new one, if you draw factions randomly you couldn't guarantee the right one would be missing to replace. The other way would be to develop the factions so they can sit on any of the original factions, but this could lead to them maybe having to have generic abilities? Either way I'm sure someone cleverer than me could work it out!

To clarify: I am incredibly happy with the game Jamey has created; it is awesome as it is and with the addition of Invaders it is going to be amazing. I don't need an expansion. I don't even particularly want one (my bank balance can't handle it). This thread is purely about discussing what could be done; speculation, hypothetical. Please refrain from just coming on here to say "It doesn't need it" or "We won't get one" etc. This is all about speculation and imagining what could be done. If you're not interested in that, carry on your way. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Crutchington
United Kingdom
St Neots
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am going to say that the next one will be a new Board, about half the size of the current one.
It will be mainly Ocean though, with some archipelagos.

2 new factions, based on the Atlanteans and the Indonesian cultures.

They will obviously start with riverwalk an the ability to walk on lakes, and will need to upgrade Mechs to gain Land Walk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel King
United States
Franklin
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure what they will do. I don't really see them releasing new factions just because there would be a lot of extra fiddliness to use them since you would have to have some kind of overlay. I would be interested in new encounter, objective, and factory cards just for some more variety, but none of those things are a must. Personally Scythe feels like a pretty complete and deep package and I'm more excited to see what new and interesting designs Jamey comes up with for different games in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Derr
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Get off my Avatar NERD!
mbmbmbmbmb
For new factions, I'm guessing they'd have to have a set color that you would have to use in place of the other. For instance, the expansion would include a new red faction that could only be used if Rusviet wasn't in the game.

How about a new map/board? It'd take some work to get a map with a different shape that would be balanced for all factions, but that would certainly add a lot of freshness to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milo Gertjejansen
United States
Hopkins
Minnesota
flag msg tools
~ >
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be neat to add combat cards that do things.

There could be combat cards that have smaller bonuses (0 to 3 or whatever) but then maybe let you capture a worker in the same spot (they put the worker back, you deploy a worker).

There could also be combat cards that give you spoils like coins or maybe resources by default.

There could also be cards that would give larger bonuses (4 to 7 or whatever) but have a drawback like removing a working or winning the combat but you are forced to retreat to an adjacent territory and your opponent gets to stay where they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about a Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia crossover? It could come with a sideboard that connects to the main board via the tunnels. The Euphorians, Wastelanders, Subterrans and Icarites would make great Scythe factions and bliss would be a fun new resource.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznan
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very surprised if this game would receive further expansions. It's clearly designed as a whole. It doesn't need further expanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"but we know this was essentially designed alongside the main game (the home bases are printed on the original board amongst other things)."

I should clarify that a little bit. My typical design method is that I don't design expansions at the same time as the base game, and that was the case with Scythe. I knew that I wanted to design 2 new factions at some point, and Jakub proposed a few thematic ideas, hence why there are home bases for those factions on the board. But I really didn't start designing Albion and Togawa until January 2016 (after Scythe was already well into production).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
United States
Riverside
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be surprised if there is any major expansion soon after Invaders. Most likely there will be tons of promos for encounters. Introducing additional mechanics would be like expanding the game of chess...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
darkrenown wrote:
I am going to say that the next one will be a new Board, about half the size of the current one.
It will be mainly Ocean though, with some archipelagos.

2 new factions, based on the Atlanteans and the Indonesian cultures.

They will obviously start with riverwalk an the ability to walk on lakes, and will need to upgrade Mechs to gain Land Walk.

Ooo yeah lots of small individual islands of 2-3 hexes! That would be amazing. Great idea for starting in water and upgrading to land!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
wkufan89 wrote:
I'm not sure what they will do. I don't really see them releasing new factions just because there would be a lot of extra fiddliness to use them since you would have to have some kind of overlay. I would be interested in new encounter, objective, and factory cards just for some more variety, but none of those things are a must. Personally Scythe feels like a pretty complete and deep package and I'm more excited to see what new and interesting designs Jamey comes up with for different games in the future.

Yep that is all fair enough. As I said I am more than happy with what is available already. I'll be keeping this in my collection and look forward to plenty of plays! No harm in a bit of speculation though! I agree that at some point in the future (no rush as there's already plenty) a pack of new cards would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
rderr27 wrote:
For new factions, I'm guessing they'd have to have a set color that you would have to use in place of the other. For instance, the expansion would include a new red faction that could only be used if Rusviet wasn't in the game.

How about a new map/board? It'd take some work to get a map with a different shape that would be balanced for all factions, but that would certainly add a lot of freshness to the game.

Ooo thats a good idea about the colours! Although you'd still have the issue I mentioned where if drawing randomly you could end up with 2 "Red" factions (for example.

I do like the idea of a new map board, it could be double sided (two new boards!) with very different maps on either side. I like the idea from a previous post about an archipelago with lots of small islands and water.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:

There could be combat cards that have smaller bonuses (0 to 3 or whatever) but then maybe let you capture a worker in the same spot (they put the worker back, you deploy a worker).

There could also be combat cards that give you spoils like coins or maybe resources by default.

There could also be cards that would give larger bonuses (4 to 7 or whatever) but have a drawback like removing a working or winning the combat but you are forced to retreat to an adjacent territory and your opponent gets to stay where they are.

Mmm yeah they could be cool1 I like the idea of combat cards with other conditions. Great idea!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thought:
Similar to how Terra Mystica has two races per color, maybe a whole other set of factions with the same colors and symbols as the current ones, but with new abilities and characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
rattkin wrote:
I would be very surprised if this game would receive further expansions. It's clearly designed as a whole. It doesn't need further expanding.

I never said it needed expansions. In fact I was very clear to say that I am more than happy with the game as is. As I said up top this is pure speculation thread, nothing more. If anything else ever comes out great, if not then I'm perfectly happy with the game as is. Doesn't stop us having a nice discussion about what could be done, whether or not it will. Live a little...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
jameystegmaier wrote:
"but we know this was essentially designed alongside the main game (the home bases are printed on the original board amongst other things)."

I should clarify that a little bit. My typical design method is that I don't design expansions at the same time as the base game, and that was the case with Scythe. I knew that I wanted to design 2 new factions at some point, and Jakub proposed a few thematic ideas, hence why there are home bases for those factions on the board. But I really didn't start designing Albion and Togawa until January 2016 (after Scythe was already well into production).

Ah ok thanks for the info Jamey, that's interesting to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
ayejae wrote:
I'd be surprised if there is any major expansion soon after Invaders. Most likely there will be tons of promos for encounters. Introducing additional mechanics would be like expanding the game of chess...

Oh I never said it would be soon, if ever. I'm more than happy with the game as it is, but it doesn't stop us discussing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
joepunman wrote:
Another thought:
Similar to how Terra Mystica has two races per color, maybe a whole other set of factions with the same colors and symbols as the current ones, but with new abilities and characters.

Nice idea! Could see that working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A single chipboard sheet of new end game bonuses.
More encounter and factory cards.

I don't think there is much else that could be added that wouldn't add significant changes to the original balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Chester Steve wrote:
A single chipboard sheet of new end game bonuses.
More encounter and factory cards.

I don't think there is much else that could be added that wouldn't add significant changes to the original balance.

Oh yeah forgot about the end game building bonuses! Definitely scope for more of those, maybe with specific goals (Mill on a farm, Armoury on a mountain etc) or with something besides buildings?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes an endgame bonus expansion would be great. Something similar to what terra Mystica did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Gast

Weyauwega
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
miloshot wrote:

That would be awesome to have combat cards that have special effects and also ones that are blank but higher power. I think an alternate deck like this for those who want combat more interesting and fun could use it. Those who don't like it could always use the standard combat deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Brock

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about an expansion where some of the factions have interbred (Poloniaxons, Nordviets, Albiawas, ... )? These new larger, multi-homeland-based factions would, of course, have new Faction and Mech abilities. There may need to be a new class of workers (with multi-colored meeples) that have extra abilities due to the interbreeding. They might need new player boards dedicated to the larger clans.

Another expansion could be the Factionless. These workers wander around the countryside under the radar of the larger, more organized, Factions. Maybe they help other Factions. Maybe they steal technologies and resources, and sell them to other Factions.

And what about the blind Tunnel-dwelling faction that can only move between Tunnels, territories with mines (anybody's), and possibly every faction's Home-Bases (that's how the wayfaring Crimeans do it, right?!). Workers that were scared off of territories by combat are now snatched into the darkness of the Tunnels from their Home-Bases. A lot of workers might be bred there in the dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Miller
United Kingdom
Newport
Gwent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wkufan89 wrote:

For new factions, the obvious is Alternate Faction Leaders that bring different traits to the table, giving different takes on what the faction already is good at.

But this seems unlikely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
What about a faction that starts on the factory hex? They could be the Industrialists and could have an ability like "while your character is on a hex adjacent to another factions home base, if that player owns a factory card you may use its ability". Basically use the ability of another players factory in addition to your base action or just have the ability to use any other players factory card as if you controlled it for your base action long as you are next to their home base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.