$30.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Today in Racism rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, lookie-loo... a cracker performing a racist act.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tristan-rettke-charged...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's great about this post is we don't even have to open the link to see someone being a racist (though the subject of the link is an asswipe racist)
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
What's great about this post is we don't even have to open the link to see someone being a racist (thought the subject of the link is an asswipe racist)
LOL, I know.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
What's great about this post is we don't even have to open the link to see someone being a racist (thought the subject of the link is an asswipe racist)


There is something dripping off your chin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
There is something dripping off your chin.
The blood from your aorta from owning you?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
What's great about this post is we don't even have to open the link to see someone being a racist (thought the subject of the link is an asswipe racist)


There is something dripping off your chin.
No, it's

THE CHIN!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
There is something dripping off your chin.
The blood from your aorta from owning you?


The only thing you own is the $25 for the services rendered.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
The only thing you own is the $25 for the services rendered.
Halfway to buying a game!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the story

"A white student at East Tennessee State University was arrested and charged with civil rights intimidation on Wednesday after showing up to a campus Black Lives Matter protest wearing a gorilla mask and handing out bananas to African American students.

Tristan Rettke, a freshman at the university, also carried a rope and a burlap sack painted with the Confederate flag and a marijuana leaf, according to WCYB. "

One ponders a scenario where this kid is looking to get his ass kicked whilst a a friend video tapes said kicking
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Back to the story

"A white student at East Tennessee State University was arrested and charged with civil rights intimidation on Wednesday after showing up to a campus Black Lives Matter protest wearing a gorilla mask and handing out bananas to African American students.

Tristan Rettke, a freshman at the university, also carried a rope and a burlap sack painted with the Confederate flag and a marijuana leaf, according to WCYB. "

One ponders a scenario where this kid is looking to get his ass kicked whilst a a friend video tapes said kicking

At what point is he exceeding his right to free speech? I realise he might be breaking civil rules or byelaws, but what criminal laws is he breaking? (Yes of course he's being an arsehole but that's a different matter)
He would be breaking laws in the UK but half of RSP is always telling us we don't have freedom of speech here.
7 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
One ponders a scenario where this kid is looking to get his ass kicked whilst a a friend video tapes said kicking
It's almost as if the protesters didn't conform to his stereotype of them, but he conformed to the stereotype that many people have of racists.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Back to the story

"A white student at East Tennessee State University was arrested and charged with civil rights intimidation on Wednesday after showing up to a campus Black Lives Matter protest wearing a gorilla mask and handing out bananas to African American students.

Tristan Rettke, a freshman at the university, also carried a rope and a burlap sack painted with the Confederate flag and a marijuana leaf, according to WCYB. "

One ponders a scenario where this kid is looking to get his ass kicked whilst a a friend video tapes said kicking

At what point is he exceeding his right to free speech? I realise he might be breaking civil rules or byelaws, but what criminal laws is he breaking? (Yes of course he's being an arsehole but that's a different matter)
He would be breaking laws in the UK but half of RSP is always telling us be don't have freedom of speech here.
I was wondering that. He did seem to bend over backwards to try and be offensive.

I wonder if this is what happens when Trolls forget that in the real world people know where you are (in front of them).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
Back to the story

"A white student at East Tennessee State University was arrested and charged with civil rights intimidation on Wednesday after showing up to a campus Black Lives Matter protest wearing a gorilla mask and handing out bananas to African American students.

Tristan Rettke, a freshman at the university, also carried a rope and a burlap sack painted with the Confederate flag and a marijuana leaf, according to WCYB. "

One ponders a scenario where this kid is looking to get his ass kicked whilst a a friend video tapes said kicking


Huh, yeah, sounds like the Westboro Baptist Church business model of showing up, protesting something as offensively (and legally) as they can, and trying to get punched so they can sue.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Schoell
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Hey, lookie-loo... a cracker performing a racist act.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/tristan-rettke-charged...



Why would you use a racial slur to condemn someone using racist behavior?
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doc Mage wrote:
Why would you use a racial slur to condemn someone using racist behavior?
He's trying to make race relations worse so more black civilians and cops are killed by each other.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Back to the story

"A white student at East Tennessee State University was arrested and charged with civil rights intimidation on Wednesday after showing up to a campus Black Lives Matter protest wearing a gorilla mask and handing out bananas to African American students.

Tristan Rettke, a freshman at the university, also carried a rope and a burlap sack painted with the Confederate flag and a marijuana leaf, according to WCYB. "

One ponders a scenario where this kid is looking to get his ass kicked whilst a a friend video tapes said kicking

At what point is he exceeding his right to free speech? I realise he might be breaking civil rules or byelaws, but what criminal laws is he breaking? (Yes of course he's being an arsehole but that's a different matter)
He would be breaking laws in the UK but half of RSP is always telling us we don't have freedom of speech here.


Cajones the size of watermelons? Check!
Highly offensive plan to see who can be outraged? Check!
Stupid, typical dumn-ass college student? Check!

Breaking the law...wait a second.

I am with David here. Stupid, (and highly offensive), of course. But illegal?

I thought things like "civil rights intimidation" would be something like burning a cross in the front yard or something like that. Like an actual "act of terror". IF KKK members are legally protected and allowed to protest certain events with hoods, bullhorns, and signs, why cannot this individual do something just as outrageous? I see the only harm here (especially since it appears to be one guy) is just lots of pissed off people that were offended.

I am not quite sure if "offensive" behavior is really the same as "intimidating" behavior. However, I did not read the article yet - only David's synopsis. Did he actually do something threatening with the rope, burlap sack, or bananas?
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Back to the story

"A white student at East Tennessee State University was arrested and charged with civil rights intimidation on Wednesday after showing up to a campus Black Lives Matter protest wearing a gorilla mask and handing out bananas to African American students.

Tristan Rettke, a freshman at the university, also carried a rope and a burlap sack painted with the Confederate flag and a marijuana leaf, according to WCYB. "

One ponders a scenario where this kid is looking to get his ass kicked whilst a a friend video tapes said kicking

At what point is he exceeding his right to free speech? I realise he might be breaking civil rules or byelaws, but what criminal laws is he breaking? (Yes of course he's being an arsehole but that's a different matter)
He would be breaking laws in the UK but half of RSP is always telling us we don't have freedom of speech here.


Cajones the size of watermelons? Check!
Highly offensive plan to see who can be outraged? Check!
Stupid, typical dumn-ass college student? Check!

Breaking the law...wait a second.

I am with David here. Stupid, (and highly offensive), of course. But illegal?

I thought things like "civil rights intimidation" would be something like burning a cross in the front yard or something like that. Like an actual "act of terror". IF KKK members are legally protected and allowed to protest certain events with hoods, bullhorns, and signs, why cannot this individual do something just as outrageous? I see the only harm here (especially since it appears to be one guy) is just lots of pissed off people that were offended.

I am not quite sure if "offensive" behavior is really the same as "intimidating" behavior. However, I did not read the article yet - only David's synopsis. Did he actually do something threatening with the rope, burlap sack, or bananas?


On reflection, a rope might be considered a method of intimidation -- it's obviously meant to reference lynching, right? That goes a bit beyond saying "You're monkeys," and moves into "You're monkeys and we should hang you."

Personally, I don't know that that should be illegal, but there is probably a case for it being threatening. I wouldn't be all that bothered if it was illegal.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Seguin
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terwox wrote:
chrisnd wrote:
DavidDearlove wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Back to the story

"A white student at East Tennessee State University was arrested and charged with civil rights intimidation on Wednesday after showing up to a campus Black Lives Matter protest wearing a gorilla mask and handing out bananas to African American students.

Tristan Rettke, a freshman at the university, also carried a rope and a burlap sack painted with the Confederate flag and a marijuana leaf, according to WCYB. "

One ponders a scenario where this kid is looking to get his ass kicked whilst a a friend video tapes said kicking

At what point is he exceeding his right to free speech? I realise he might be breaking civil rules or byelaws, but what criminal laws is he breaking? (Yes of course he's being an arsehole but that's a different matter)
He would be breaking laws in the UK but half of RSP is always telling us we don't have freedom of speech here.


Cajones the size of watermelons? Check!
Highly offensive plan to see who can be outraged? Check!
Stupid, typical dumn-ass college student? Check!

Breaking the law...wait a second.

I am with David here. Stupid, (and highly offensive), of course. But illegal?

I thought things like "civil rights intimidation" would be something like burning a cross in the front yard or something like that. Like an actual "act of terror". IF KKK members are legally protected and allowed to protest certain events with hoods, bullhorns, and signs, why cannot this individual do something just as outrageous? I see the only harm here (especially since it appears to be one guy) is just lots of pissed off people that were offended.

I am not quite sure if "offensive" behavior is really the same as "intimidating" behavior. However, I did not read the article yet - only David's synopsis. Did he actually do something threatening with the rope, burlap sack, or bananas?


On reflection, a rope might be considered a method of intimidation -- it's obviously meant to reference lynching, right? That goes a bit beyond saying "You're monkeys," and moves into "You're monkeys and we should hang you."

Personally, I don't know that that should be illegal, but there is probably a case for it being threatening. I wouldn't be all that bothered if it was illegal.


I too was thinking that the rope would be the only thing moving it from "stupid" to "criminal". But if it was only a "rope" and wasn't necessarily knotted or tied in a "threatening" way (i.e. a "noose"), I am still trying to find the criminality in the whole thing. It concerns me when "offensiveness" turns into "criminality" because of "hurt feelings". It's what makes Canadian comedians stop telling jokes.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas about the "criminal" aspect, but it looks like the best anyone can offer up (other than your rope=lynching connection) is "stupid dumb-f*&k racist does stupid dumb-f*&k thing."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisnd wrote:
I too was thinking that the rope would be the only thing moving it from "stupid" to "criminal". But if it was only a "rope" and wasn't necessarily knotted or tied in a "threatening" way (i.e. a "noose"), I am still trying to find the criminality in the whole thing. It concerns me when "offensiveness" turns into "criminality" because of "hurt feelings". It's what makes Canadian comedians stop telling jokes.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any ideas about the "criminal" aspect, but it looks like the best anyone can offer up (other than your rope=lynching connection) is "stupid dumb-f*&k racist does stupid dumb-f*&k thing."


Yeah, I agree.

When Westboro comes to town and yells the stuff they yell, they aren't also carrying a bag of rocks with the implication that they could stone us too.

They have a right to do what they do, but they (very deliberately) ride the line. You shouldn't necessarily go to jail for being a dipshit racist, but public humiliation is apropos.

This is so close to the line that I don't have a real opinion on it -- if the guy gets prosecuted or not, I wouldn't second-guess a judge's decision either way, even if it was just to throw it out of court.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Re: Today in Racism Bro. Racer Malcolm-"X"
wow ~"GO! Speed RACIST! Go on, then!"
/kiss\-"trixies/thiefsies/shorties" = heart
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if this is a false flag operation. I searched for him in the TN online courts search and found nothing. Its odd to go from zero to risking your life with a stunt like this without some previous level of trouble.

I also cant find much info on him in my typical nutter website searches. The only thing interesting is his twitter account where his account posts hundred of tweets a day but previous to Trump getting the nomination, he does not have an real political leanings.

Also, his use of words is odd. Maybe from another nation ?

Quote:
Capitalist, Dutch/Neo-Boer, Author, Journalist, proud #RWDS member, Against all Anglos and a Visionary.


https://twitter.com/keksec__org

Also, in Europe soccer, dressing like an Ape and throwing bananas is generally acceptable behavior for the racists there and not really something American racists engage in.

also the photo on his twitter account is the same one they seem to be using in the news like a mug shot. That's seems odd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
I wonder if this is a false flag operation. Its odd to go from zero to risking your life with a stunt like this

Interesting country you live in.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
wow ~"GO! Speed RACIST! Go on, then!"
/kiss\-"trixies/thiefsies/shorties" = heart


Vrooom, vrooom.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Istanbul
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Doc Mage wrote:
Why would you use a racial slur to condemn someone using racist behavior?
He's trying to make race relations worse so more black civilians and cops are killed by each other.


Ha... if in your world, if a comment posted to a boardgame forum motivates the slightest action by anyone, I'll buy you one of those fancy girl dolls you always coveted.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
also the photo on his twitter account is the same one they seem to be using in the news like a mug shot. That's seems odd.


That's just journalism being dead.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.