Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paizo has put the first preview of Mummy's Mask on their blog. It shows cards from the Base Set.

Link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wasn't tempted by the last set but this one looks interesting, especially the new characters and allies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can anyone explain Kafar's card? The check to acquire calls for a Wisdom, Charisma or Diplomacy roll of 9, but the body text seems to negate it. The text reads:

Quote:
When you examine this card, succeed at a Charisma Diplomacy 4 check to acquire this card. If you fail to acquire this card, banish a non-Basic boon.

How do you acquire this card?

Same for the Evil Eye barrier. The check to defeat is Stealth, Knowledge, Arcane, Divine, or Diplomacy 6. The text on the card reads:

Quote:
When you examine this card, suffer a scourge and then banish this card.

How would you ever encounter this card to defeat it if you banish it as soon as you examine it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
When you examine this card, succeed at a Charisma Diplomacy 4 check to acquire this card. If you fail to acquire this card, banish a non-Basic boon.

It seems this is the new trick of having effects when you examine, different from when you encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Quote:

It seems this is the new trick of having effects when you examine, different from when you encounter.

Examine must be a new mechanic with which I am unfamiliar... Anyone in the know care to elaborate?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Botkin
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like when you use the Scrying spell or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Crawford - Greybeard
United States
Amarillo
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The spyglass from Rise of the Runelords is an example.

"Discard to Examine the top 2 cards of your location deck and put back in any order".

It seems this would allow you to acquire (or suffer the effects) of cards examined this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
examining appears in runelords and s&s rulebooks. (page 14 in s&s).

"that means looking at the specified card and then putting it back where it came from".

sometimes you had to examine a deck until you found a specific card, like in "ambush" barrier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
examining appears in runelords and s&s rulebooks. (page 14 in s&s).

"that means looking at the specified card and then putting it back where it came from".

sometimes you had to examine a deck until you found a specific card, like in "ambush" barrier.

Ahh, now I remember, thank you. There's an interesting conversation on how the Dry Quicksand card works on the Paizo forums. I found that one a bit difficult to decipher, too. Mike said his rules writer will address it when he gets back in the office next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Ahh, now I remember, thank you. There's an interesting conversation on how the Dry Quicksand card works on the Paizo forums. I found that one a bit difficult to decipher, too. Mike said his rules writer will address it when he gets back in the office next week.

i haven't seen the bane cards because i like to avoid spoilers... but you has give me curiosity about this barrier card.

it's amazing! until now, i never used the token cards (i use standees), and it's great to see a utility for these cards. and thematically is very acurate.

but it's true that the card needs some clarifications as if you can play cards or not, or what happens if somebody encounters your token card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
but it's true that the card needs some clarifications as if you can play cards or not, or what happens if somebody encounters your token card.

Vic Wertz already posted a rules excerpt about token cards in location decks: http://paizo.com/paizo/blog/v5748dyo5lj4m&page=2?From-the-Ra...

Part of which is: "When your token is examined, encountered, or would be returned to the box or removed from the game, remove it from the location deck and place it at that location. While your token is in a location deck, you may explore, encounter cards, and play cards; you cannot move, and you must evade any banes you encounter."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Morro Bay
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nefrubyr wrote:
While your token is in a location deck, you may explore, encounter cards, and play cards; you cannot move, and you must evade any banes you encounter."

I'm still not sure what "you must evade" really means.

Does it mean "you must attempt to evade"? I doubt it.

Does it mean "you automatically evade"? Probably, except for things that cannot be evaded.

Using the word "must" implies an obligation on the part of the player, where I really see this as alerting the player about what the game is going to do to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcolm Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
Nefrubyr wrote:
While your token is in a location deck, you may explore, encounter cards, and play cards; you cannot move, and you must evade any banes you encounter."

I'm still not sure what "you must evade" really means.

Does it mean "you must attempt to evade"? I doubt it.

Does it mean "you automatically evade"? Probably, except for things that cannot be evaded.

Using the word "must" implies an obligation on the part of the player, where I really see this as alerting the player about what the game is going to do to them.

I agree, and I wonder if that rule would have been clearer if it simply said "... and you evade any banes you encounter."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Seu L'eaux
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wow, this set looks really cool and innovative. Looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.