Subject: Feel like Imperials really don't do anything? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher James
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I might be doing something wrong..and don't get me wrong I love this game. (just spent 40 bucks on a plano case for storage and bought hoth). But some missions it just feels like theres not much I can do. Heroes just eat my dudes...even if I wound a couple they are still strong.

Even if I delay them slightly they still win...

I feel this could benefit from tier'd rewards like ..they get worse the longer the msision takes vs a winner take all method.

PErhaps I am just playing wrong? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Bolles
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tierdal wrote:
I might be doing something wrong..and don't get me wrong I love this game. (just spent 40 bucks on a plano case for storage and bought hoth). But some missions it just feels like theres not much I can do. Heroes just eat my dudes...even if I wound a couple they are still strong.

Even if I delay them slightly they still win...

I feel this could benefit from tier'd rewards like ..they get worse the longer the msision takes vs a winner take all method.

PErhaps I am just playing wrong? Thoughts?

Wait 'til the final mission devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
The heroes rebel scum are supposed to be eating your dudes. They are cannon fodder mostly. You get to bring more guys, they can't.

In most of the time, you need to be doing other stuff, like delaying them, reaching objectives etc. Wounding all heroes is sort of like a secondary objective you can try and reach but usually don't really need.

I'm currently playing 2 campaigns, a rebel in one and imperial player in another. I actually find the empire much more enjoyable since you have so many choices to make - what to bring each missions, strategies to pick, a lot more units to play with etc

While the rebels barely have much to decide. It's not until you get into a couple of missions that you start getting some XP abilities \ interesting equipment. Heck, I would probably not even like it as much if I wasn't playing insanely versatile Diala. In comparison, the wookie is powerful for sure, but doesn't seem to do much other than just walk and bash people in the face and feel like auto pilot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teth Adam
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Imperial player is playing to delay the heroes. The Imperial player generally has some fixed objective that they need to last until. So if you have an end of turn 8 win condition - all you have to do is toss down obstacles that delay the heroes.

Stun is the best negative condition to toss on a hero for this reason - that it removes an action. MHD / Bacta / Biv are great in that they have chances or guarantee the removal of a condition w/o the cost of an action.

So create bottle necks, create false targets of opportunity, give the rebels a reason to roll dice - keep them focused on killing so they ignore their objective.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not really a spoiler, but most of the Hoth missions removed the time limit from the Rebels. This really hurt the balance of the game and what I said. Hoth is very Rebel friendly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
How many rebel heroes are there?

With only two, that added +10 to health makes the Rebels crazy fast and hardy. It's pretty hard to take them down like that. I think the best balance overall is 4 heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which class deck you are using? It has a big effect to the result.

The first thing to learn is to try to shield your unactivated figures with the figures that have already activated. Heroes would want to take out the unactivated ones if they can. Positioning is often a key element, both in making the rebels spend actions for Move to get their shot and for costing them move to run through the imperials.

Although this is more often needed when the rebels are losing, have you read:
What are some crazy or common rule-breaking mistakes your group made whilst learning the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M.

Tucson
Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
necksnappingadam wrote:
The Imperial player is playing to delay the heroes. The Imperial player generally has some fixed objective that they need to last until. So if you have an end of turn 8 win condition - all you have to do is toss down obstacles that delay the heroes.

Stun is the best negative condition to toss on a hero for this reason - that it removes an action. MHD / Bacta / Biv are great in that they have chances or guarantee the removal of a condition w/o the cost of an action.

So create bottle necks, create false targets of opportunity, give the rebels a reason to roll dice - keep them focused on killing so they ignore their objective.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Not really a spoiler, but most of the Hoth missions removed the time limit from the Rebels. This really hurt the balance of the game and what I said. Hoth is very Rebel friendly...

This is what I came here to say. Once the rebel players figured out they didnt need to fight my guys simply run to the objectives they started winning more.

I had to change my play style to delay the players like Teth pointed out. Things like stacking four models in chokepoints and door ways or near objectives so that they couldn't just run past me and engage the objective since it takes two movement to go through an enemy model.

Another thing that helped was having all my forces focus on one hero at a time. Try and flip them to wounded in a single turn. I cant tell you how many times I would get 8-9 damage on a hero just to have them double rest while the other three players continued on.

Also, harmful conditions are your friend! If they have to spend turns unstunning and removing bleeds they are less mobile. Something to think about when choosing open groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another factor that has helped me improve my game as the Imperial Player relates to my class deck. Whatever class deck you choose, make sure you are able to use those cards, as often as they allow. Every round that you don't use a class card is a missed opportunity. Where possible, chose open groups that synergize with your class cards. I recently made this a point of emphasis in our current Hoth campaign. It has made a significant difference in my win/loss ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Tadley
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Tip - the games designer has a house rule that if a faction looses two games in a row, they get rewards as if they won the second game. This prevents one side totally out levelling the other and keeps the campaign close. Also the class deck that comes in the hoth box is brutal, give that a try
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Allenberg
msg tools
Riki39561 wrote:
Also the class deck that comes in the hoth box is brutal, give that a try

Well, there were two in that box, Precision Training and Armored Onslaught. I'm using Precision Training right now in the Core Campaign and it's been a fun deck so far; it feels pretty balanced against the heroes.

I've heard Armored Onslaught is pretty good too, but from what I can tell it looks more like it's geared toward the Hoth Campaign.

CmdrCorsiken wrote:
Every round that you don't use a class card is a missed opportunity.

Just want to second this. I can't tell you how many times I forgot that I can apply Pierce 1 and +1 Accuracy to all my attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.