Scott Garrity
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Been working on the 3rd beta version of my game for the past couple weeks. Got a solid foundation done on the game board (finally). I'm curious what the general public would prefer.

First pic is my original printed board. It's a simple design that provides pathways with circle spaces.

The new design features MANY more spaces, as hexagons. While this might seem like a lot, it'll provide more open area for bigger battles.

What do you prefer? Paths or grids?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor van Santen
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think simplicity is key here. I really enjoy the board in Kemet as everything is equally spaced and movement is really simple (just a couple of fields).

So without knowing anything about your game, in my opinion the most interesting gameplay emerges, when the map is tight (small amount of spaces) and simple (easy overview for all the players).

Therefore I would vote for paths, as its simpler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Garrity
United States
Williamsville
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks! I figured at least having options would be a start, and see what plays better. Been testing with the circle board for a while, the hexagon board isn't printed yet. Either way I'll 100% have to create another (hopefully final) board eventually.

Details on my game here
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/202491/12-towers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first board reminds me a bit of Titan.

I prefer the grids though since I like having options for movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
The advantage of a hex grid is that it provides the maximum amount of identical polygons in a uniform distribution. If this is not something you need, then it's simply a style choice.

Where you might need it is in regulating movement or ranged-fire distances in more than 4 directions. That same can be done with a point-to-point board, assuming the points are at a uniform distance from each other. (Then again, all grids used for movement - whether they be areas, circles, hexagons, squares, etc. - are essentially point-to-point layouts.)

Your first layout has directional restrictions inherent in any irregular movement grid. If you want restrictions, then that's likely the way to go. If you don't, then a hex grid is superior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.