Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I bought Dreamscape, I just mixed it in with all of the other sets. But I find that I'm going through entire games without anyone finding cards that generate Insight.

Is this set not meant to be mixed in with the other sets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
When I bought Dreamscape, I just mixed it in with all of the other sets. But I find that I'm going through entire games without anyone finding cards that generate Insight.

If Insight isn't prominent enough, as well as related mechanics like dreamscape (those private archive of cards of yours) and Dreamborne cards (that come out in the CR), then you'll want to not combine everything.

If you want to try out the card interactions between sets, then this is less of an issue.

For the former, you can at least come up with a variant so that Insight and ds come into play more. Off the top of my head... make all cards from the DS set give you an Insight when it hits the CR (not just Dreamborne), and the buyer gets an Insight as well. To go further, randomly pick 1 or 2 other sets that also provide Insight.

I'm playing on iOS, and best I can do is to roll a die, and pick 1 to 2 other sets at most so that dreamborne cards come out more often, but I still get to explore card synergies across other sets. With everything, I've managed to get ds cards into play, but it's been rare.

And my choices at the beginning of the game strive for ones that are cheap and/or good on their own. For example, Vigil's Reserve (2/2 no faction/construct) is nice since Mystics and HI are plentiful in almost any game. Did manage to snag 4 Constructs (24 honor!) with the 5-Insight one that lets you get all constructs in the CR for free!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:

It is not.

They used to release them in blocks (1 big and 1 small expansion) now they just have one release (larger set) and there is no compatible mixable smaller set.

You might be able to mix dreamscape with one other set (I have not tried this) but I suspect that is the limit before you dilute the set specific mechanics too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
randomlife wrote:

It is not.

They used to release them in blocks (1 big and 1 small expansion) now they just have one release (larger set) and there is no compatible mixable smaller set.

You might be able to mix dreamscape with one other (set, I have not tried this) but I suspect that is the limit before you dilute the set specific mechanics too far.

Would you mostly play it by itself, or would you at least mix it with the base set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Runcible Spoon wrote:
randomlife wrote:

It is not.

You might be able to mix dreamscape with one other (set, I have not tried this) but I suspect that is the limit before you dilute the set specific mechanics too far.

Would you mostly play it by itself, or would you at least mix it with the base set?

To be clear by base I assume you mean Ascension: Chronicle of the God Slayer. There really isn't a base set in Ascension. There is a first set, CotGS, but you can jump in with any of the bigger boxes with no problem, there is no necessity to having CotGS to player the other big sets (Dreamscape etc.)

I would not mix them, but that really is a matter of preference. I am a fan of rule zero - make sure that the game works for you and those you play with. The reason I would not is that the new mechanics in dreamscape will just be diluted as you add cards that don't make use of those powers.

If the combined diluted set works for you then go for it, if not then you can also move back to just CotGS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions can all mix together, including Dreamscape, but that doesn't mean they're designed to mix **all** together. As you've seen, it dilutes the set-specific mechanics, which is a little more obvious in DS, but if you play every set mixed, how often do you see a Soul Gem, for instance? Most games there will be very few. Or how often does a Rally effect from DoC come into play?

I find that mixing any set with at most one or two others is the most interesting, but they don't have to **any particular** others. You can just pick whatever two or three sets sound like they could be fun together. Of course this is easier to do in the app than in paper, where you have to resort them when you're done. But the point is that you don't have to just mix DS with the first set. You can mix it with anything else. Just don't mix it with everything else if you want any one set's mechanics to be prominent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Runcible Spoon wrote:
To be clear by base I assume you mean Ascension: Chronicle of the God Slayer. There really isn't a base set in Ascension. There is a first set, CotGS, but you can jump in with any of the bigger boxes with no problem, there is no necessity to having CotGS to player the other big sets (Dreamscape etc.)

There has been some ambiguity in how folks use "base game".

One is it is required to play expansions for it, or can expand other "base games" (e.g. Zooloretto is a base game, and so is Aquaretto, but they can be combined together for a different experience)

Another is more of a "first set". This game has the simplest of mechanics amongst future sets (like Ticket To Ride vs. Ticket To Ride Europe), or expansions (like Dominion) where knowing this "base game" means new players are already halfway past learning any expansions.

Cliffy73 wrote:
The expansions can all mix together, including Dreamscape, but that doesn't mean they're designed to mix **all** together. As you've seen, it dilutes the set-specific mechanics, which is a little more obvious in DS, but if you play every set mixed, how often do you see a Soul Gem, for instance? Most games there will be very few. Or how often does a Rally effect from DoC come into play?

As far as dilution goes...

NOTE: when I say "one card", this is still uncommon given the odds of 1 set over 9 sets worth of cards. Or could be even less as not all cards in a set have that mechanic (e.g. 0.5 sets out of 9).

Soul Gems
This isn't as bad. You only need one card, and then perhaps some other "common condition" like killing a monster in the CR

Rally
Once you get to 7-rep, you just need the matching faction to be in the CR, and if the next card is also a matching faction, then you're set. Enlightened, lb, void, and mech. are at least plentiful in EVERY set.

Insight
This I will say is bad... you need multiple cards within a set to be able to do anything "meaningful", so that's why I often count on NOT being able to do much with Visions, nor any card in your dreamscape.

Cliffy73 wrote:
I find that mixing any set with at most one or two others is the most interesting, but they don't have to **any particular** others. You can just pick whatever two or three sets sound like they could be fun together. Of course this is easier to do in the app than in paper, where you have to resort them when you're done. But the point is that you don't have to just mix DS with the first set. You can mix it with anything else. Just don't mix it with everything else if you want any one set's mechanics to be prominent.
When I want to randomize 2 other sets, I either roll a d10 (which I have at my office and home), or just use a randomizer on my iOS device, like Starting Player (which last I checked is no longer available) to randomly resort a list and pick the first 2 entries that come up, or roll virtual dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Runcible Spoon wrote:

There has been some ambiguity in how folks use "base game".

Yes.

Hence my response.

If the OP found my assumption about the term "base game" to be incorrect I would expect a correction. Otherwise I will go with the assumption and hence the reason I used the word 'assumption.' I used it in a way such that it is a linguistic marker by me, the speaker, that I am responding to am ambiguous statement and providing one potential response to it.

Language is sparse and full of connotation requiring interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I meant CotGS. I considered it the base game because it comes with all of the Apprentices and Militias. So I thought it was essential to all of the other expansions. But I didn't realize that some of them are stand-alone and probably also come with Apprentices and Militias.

So it sounds like one of the most fun things to do would be to randomly choose 3 expansions every time I play so that some of the unique mechanics don't become too diluted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not mix with other sets. Makes for a not fun experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
Yes, I meant CotGS. I considered it the base game because it comes with all of the Apprentices and Militias. So I thought it was essential to all of the other expansions. But I didn't realize that some of them are stand-alone and probably also come with Apprentices and Militias.

So it sounds like one of the most fun things to do would be to randomly choose 3 expansions every time I play so that some of the unique mechanics don't become too diluted.
IIRC, every one of them includes Militias, Apprentices, "always on" cards, etc., except for the promos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.