3 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » General

Subject: Thoughts from non-hobby gamers? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize it’s going to be tough to get a first-person answer from inside the BGG forums here (I think it’s safe to assume that if you’re here, you’re pretty enfrachised into the gaming community), but I’m curious: How are “non-gamers” responding to the game?

Given that so much of the design was structured to help introduce players unfamiliar with this kind of game into the fold, what’s the experience been like for people who “came for the Harry Potter, stayed for the game”?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I played with 2 players who are not really gamers and certainly wouldn't know the term Deck-builder. Just friends of ours, and they were Harry Potter fans. This was at the BGG@Sea convention, so they had an early copy.

We played Game 1 and they took to the mechanics pretty easily. It helped that the cards matched spells, items, and characters from the movies and they had fun playing those cards.

They seemed excited to see what would come next and wanted to play the next game so we opened the second box and there wasn't much else new here except some new cards. They were intrigued when we'd have a new character or item pop up in the Hogwarts deck.

We had a ton of fun. My wife was just visiting with them the other day and telling them the game would be coming out soon. They seemed excited with the idea of coming over to continue the adventure when the game comes out, and turns out I just got the game in the mail on Tuesday. I'm looking forward to it as well.

I think the approach of having Harry Potter fans be able to get this game that has relatively simple rules and building on them game after game is a great one, and really can make some new gamers out of Harry Potter fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kami Mandell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I found this review on Amazon from what I assume is a "non-gamer":

We just completed the first game in this saga, and it was fun! None of us had any experience with cooperative deck-building games, so the learning curve of game set up and play was a little daunting at first, but it took just a couple of turns to get into the swing of it. The full-color instructions were very helpful as well. As some other reviews have stated, the production quality of this game is exceptional. From the box to the board to the cards and the game pieces, it all adds to the Harry Potter experience. I'm looking forward to advancing our game play through the 7 games. I can see how this will become challenging in a hurry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.