Subject: So many megacredits! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing my first game with the husband, and about 13 generations in, I already have over 120 megacredits. At first I was concerned/confused about income - the player mat uses the "TR icon" + production = income, which I (correctly?) assumed meant TR rating + production = income, but then I started second guessing myself; did it mean 20 + production = income, since the TR icon is parked at 20? That would certainly compensate for the very large amount of MC I'm currently amassing on my mat.

The rules clearly state that your MC income is your TR rating + MC production. I guess my questions are: is that too much income? Is there something I could be doing with all of this excess money? Is this only happening because it's a 2-player scenario?

I'm loving the game, by the way. Can't wait to get some more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that what you are missing is that you get as many turns as you like during the action phase, with 1 or 2 actions per turn. Buy for all your worth! After that comes the production phase where you get new income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
I've been playing my first game with the husband, and about 13 generations in, I already have over 120 megacredits.

At 13 generations in, you should be very near the end of the game. Saying you "already" have 120 MCs makes me think that you're not near the end of the game, so my assumption is that you're not playing the turns/generations correctly.

Each "generation" consists of getting your new cards, paying for the ones you decide to keep, and then you and your husband alternately taking one or more "turns". In each turn, you can perform one or two "actions". So a generation could potentially consist of 10-15 actions between the two of you. This "generation" continues with both of you taking turns playing 1 or 2 actions until both of you pass, i.e., take no action. Only then is the marker moved and the next generation starts. Is that the way you're playing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The amount of money you make each generation is your TR + Production.

Your TR starts at 20. You only move your TR up if you have advanced one of the 3 parameters needed to Terraform Mars. Temperature, Oxygen, Oceans.

There are 19 steps on the Temp track, 14 steps on the Oxygen track, and 9 Ocean tiles. For a total of 42 Steps

So for arguments sake lets say you have 20 + 42 TR for a total of 66. That means you are producing a minimum of 54 mega-credits on your player board?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep. Definitely missed that.

*hangs head in shame*

I definitely did not read that as alternating back and forth until we both pass, but rather as each of us gets 1-2 actions max per generation.

This changes everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dmoser22 wrote:
ShaneXtopher wrote:
I've been playing my first game with the husband, and about 13 generations in, I already have over 120 megacredits.

At 13 generations in, you should be very near the end of the game.

Oh, for sure. I have a feeling when we both get home from work tonight, the game will end on the first generation back, now that I understand what I missed. Global Parameters are each 1-3 steps from max, and between the two of us we have 200+ MC, 50 or so heat, and 50 or so plants as well.

Amazing what a little (glaring) misinterpretation can do to change a game.

Or did I just unintentionally create a variant?! Muhahahaha!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the most often missed rule in the game. I hope the reprint will contain a callout box or some other notation in the rulebook to clarify the flow of the Action phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mvettemagred wrote:
This is the most often missed rule in the game. I hope the reprint will contain a callout box or some other notation in the rulebook to clarify the flow of the Action phase.

Yes we will clarify that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's amusing how the same mistake has led to so many interpretations of what the problem might be. I was convinced it had something to do with income, it looks like other people (in other threads I have since read) thought it was related to other issues. I'm glad I'm not the only person to have made the error, and I'm appreciative of those who are kind, patient, and thoughtful with their responses.

And yes, looks like something to bring attention to in the next printing!

And on another note, here's a horrible Terraforming Mars joke that my husband made:

"If men are from Mars, does that mean when we play this game, we're manscaping?"

And yes, we now refer to the game as Manscaping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:

"If men are from Mars, does that mean when we play this game, we're manscaping?"

I think this would be plural as more than one man would be scaping, so menscaping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lifelesspoet wrote:
ShaneXtopher wrote:

I think this would be plural as more than one man would be scaping, so menscaping.

Thank you for your valuable contribution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Pastor
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I misread that rule as well. We were playing a five player game and I noticed we had so many resource. One person had 150 MC and another had so much heat I thought the game was going to spontaneously com-bust and so on. Then one of the players found this thread...

I hang my head in shame as well

I should have watched at least the first 5 minutes of the sample game and I would have caught this.

Sigh!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

Please hire Paul Grogan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nottingham wrote:
I misread that rule as well. We were playing a five player game and I noticed we had so many resource. One person had 150 MC and another had so much heat I thought the game was going to spontaneously com-bust and so on. Then one of the players found this thread...

I hang my head in shame as well

I'm glad to know that my folly righted yours!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Fryxen wrote:
mvettemagred wrote:

Please hire Paul Grogan.

This part of the rules was clear and right where one would expect the rule.

The part of the rules that disappointed me was that there were rules on page 4, which describes the game board. Bonus Steps are described here and not anywhere else in the rules. This looked like a page explaining components and I didn't expect to find rules here. I would have preferred this be referenced again during the actions "convert plants to greenery" and "convert heat to temperature" or a section of its own.

Otherwise the rules read well, despite being hard to look at at times due to the wall of text feel to them.

One other complaint is that there is a card that says add a greenery tile and increase your TR. Since you normally increase your TR when placing a greenery tile, you would assume you place a greenery tile and increase your TR twice. But the symbol on the card indicates that you should get the greenery tile and the associated TR (not extra TR).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
.. there is a card that says add a greenery tile and increase your TR. Since you normally increase your TR when placing a greenery tile, you would assume you place a greenery tile and increase your TR twice. But the symbol on the card indicates that you should get the greenery tile and the associated TR (not extra TR).

This was the biggest point of confusion the one time I've played. In general, if the rules say, "Whenever you do A, then do B also." and then a card or effect says "Do A, then do B.", it's very unclear whether that's the B you're supposed to do, or an extra one. I wish game designers were more clear about this, or would try to avoid situations like this altogether.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Howitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ShaneXtopher wrote:
Yep. Definitely missed that.

*hangs head in shame*

I definitely did not read that as alternating back and forth until we both pass, but rather as each of us gets 1-2 actions max per generation.

This changes everything!

Just made the exact same mistake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas De Wolf
Belgium
Gent
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
I am the Black Wizards
badge
My hammer listened to Amon Amarth and became Mjölnir
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup our group also had this happen. Emptied the resource pool and we even started to use player cubes as 50 M denominations. Already seemed weird that actions felt extremely precious, so nobody wanted to spend their actions, raising temperature and so game dragged on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.