Ben Winterton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello everyone, my name is Ben, and I'm a long time reader of the Game of Thrones strategy pages on board game geek. I'm normally one of those quiet observers who reads lots but doesn't get involved, but I'm taking the plunge today and doing my very first Board Game Geek post.

I've written a very long (over 10,000 words!) series of articles about strategy for the Game of Thrones Board Game, as below, and would love to hear people's views or comments and them. I've done them as external links to my friend's blog, which is hosting them, primarily due to the size and formatting of the articles, but can copy-paste the text across if it's easier.

Thanks, and hope people find them interesting!

Part 1: Territory Control and House Cards
http://103percent.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/how-to-win-at-game-...
Part 2: Combat, Managing Troops and Power Tokens
Part 3: Stark and Greyjoy
Part 4: Lannister and Baratheon
Part 5: Tyrell and Martell
http://103percent.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/how-to-win-at-game-...
Part 6: Taking the Win, Meta-Game and Alliances, and Alternative Ways to Play
http://103percent.blogspot.co.uk/2016/09/how-to-win-at-game-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some good points and a good read. The one thing that stands out for me is the Stark order in The Shivering Sea. Anything but a March+1 is the wrong order in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an excellent piece of work.

Kudos to you, good Sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Angioletti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Overall a nice reading, but I disagree with some of your suggested openings:

Stark should always place March +1 in the Shivering Sea no matter what. The Narrow Sea is the most powerful area in the game and should never be conceded if possible.

Baratheon opening is either Special Consolidate in Dragonstone or rush to King's Landing, depending on how much pressure you would like to apply to Lannister by favoring a mustering in Round 2

Tyrell opening should always be March -1 in Redwine Straight and March +0 Highgarden, and you should never threaten Martell by occupying Starfall or Prince's Pass that early: he will muster in round 1 and punish you in round 2 should a Mustering does not come up

Martell must open with March +1 in the Sea of Dorne for the same reason of Stark. Special Consolidating in Sunspear is also quite good as there is no reason to quickly expand

Also, the last part of theorycrafting assumes that hovering around 5 castles is possible, but good players should immediately attack anyone over 4 castles or at least be very wary of him

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Cutter
msg tools
I agree with the previous poster, lot of work especially on openings needs to be done. Lannister is completely wrong, having control of Sunset sea for a few turns gives player nothing, and opens naive Lannister to Greyjoy blitz and round 3 annihilation.

But thanks for your piece on alliances:

"for more information, see World War 2"

I laughed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L F
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi there,

please understand my comment in scientific way, seeking for truth but avoiding redundance. Further I have only overfly your guide.

Cliech wrote:
I'm a long time reader of the Game of Thrones strategy pages on board game geek.

So what was your intention to write this (beginner) guide? Within this forum the best opening moves are already discussed with great detail. Also there is a set of detailed strategy guides available, especially those of Perrytom.

I just wonder if your intention was to get just some of the blog readers to play AGOT or if you want to discuss an idea/strategy/set-up which is new to this forum. Please feel free to highlight those for us!

And welcome to the community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Bowden
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
This raises a point about Stark's strategic position at the start of the game that I'm unsure about.

If Baratheon moves into narrow sea on the first round, then the ensuing fight between Baratheon and Stark is not good for Stark. Baratheon only needs to play patchface to force Roose Bolton to be discarded. After that, Stark's game is hobbled and he becomes an easy target for Greyjoy.

At the same time, losing the narrow sea as Stark is also disastrous as Baratheon can cut Stark off from expansion, raid, even invade if the opportunity presents itself. In this situation, Stark eventually could pushed out of the shivering sea as well, virtually ensuring defeat.

It just seems to me that forcing the discard of Roose Bolton at the cost of 1 ship and march order is always worthwhile for Baratheon. By doing this, Baratheon essentially eliminates Stark from contention for victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Grafström
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Dragon_Slave wrote:
This raises a point about Stark's strategic position at the start of the game that I'm unsure about.

If Baratheon moves into narrow sea on the first round, then the ensuing fight between Baratheon and Stark is not good for Stark. Baratheon only needs to play patchface to force Roose Bolton to be discarded. After that, Stark's game is hobbled and he becomes an easy target for Greyjoy.

At the same time, losing the narrow sea as Stark is also disastrous as Baratheon can cut Stark off from expansion, raid, even invade if the opportunity presents itself. In this situation, Stark eventually could pushed out of the shivering sea as well, virtually ensuring defeat.

It just seems to me that forcing the discard of Roose Bolton at the cost of 1 ship and march order is always worthwhile for Baratheon. By doing this, Baratheon essentially eliminates Stark from contention for victory.

I had this happen to me in a game where I was Stark. What happened was that I was forced to play Eddard or Robb to ensure victory, and I punished Baratheon by playing Eddard and thus lose the ship. Baratheon played Patchface and took Roose Bolton. What happened after this was that Martell won the battle over Shipbreaker Bay and in the end Baratheon was eliminated from the board. Greyjoy won the game by winning the fight over Lannister and then taking Winterfell as castle number seven in turn 9.

As Martell almost always plays a CP* in Sunspear there's a wonderful opportunity to go for a Baratheon who just lost a ship in The Narrow Sea. Yes, I agree that the move does hamper Stark very much but I'd say that it makes Baratheon even more vulnerable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Hall
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most houses have some vulnerability to an early move that hurts them, but actually tends to hurt their opponent worse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Serban
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Tuzzo90 wrote:

Tyrell opening should always be March -1 in Redwine Straight and March +0 Highgarden, and you should never threaten Martell by occupying Starfall or Prince's Pass that early: he will muster in round 1 and punish you in round 2 should a Mustering does not come up

This happened exactly in the last game I played. Tyell was destroyed that game from the very beginning for being so greedy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.