Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » General

Subject: Is it more fun when you're Jack? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played this a couple times now, as one of the investigators. The game just feels way too long and I didn't find it to be fun at all. Even when we arrested Jack, it just felt like a relief to be done, more than anything.

Are all the people giving the game really high praise mostly playing as Jack? I could see that role being a blast... But I don't care if I never play the game again as an investigator, and I would never buy it for my group in case everyone felt the same as I do.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
Are all the people giving the game really high praise mostly playing as Jack?

That's not very likely, is it? 50% of the plays in two-player games would be by people playing as the coppers, scaling up to 94% of the plays in games with 6. I think you're here to express your own opinion more than to ask ours, but giving you the benefit of the doubt I'll submit that I enjoy the game immensely from either side of the table.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nim Chimpsky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I do find it more fun as Jack, but that's not to say it's bad as the investigators (I guess I just like the feeling of being chased more than the act of chasing).

I would never play the game with more than 3 people. I find when playing as the investigator, I either like to play all of them myself, or have one other person to bounce around ideas with.

The upcoming expansion may add a bit of variety to playing as the investigators, but I'm fine with the game the way it is.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the game as a 2-player game. With more players, it really drags and I get annoyed. Even as Jack, because you have to wait forever for the cops to finish and then, if you prepared your move, you're done with your turn within the minute.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
danaolson wrote:
Are all the people giving the game really high praise mostly playing as Jack?

That's not very likely, is it? 50% of the plays in two-player games would be by people playing as the coppers, scaling up to 94% of the plays in games with 6. I think you're here to express your own opinion more than to ask ours, but giving you the benefit of the doubt I'll submit that I enjoy the game immensely from either side of the table.


To my mind, it very well could be likely. In my gaming experience, whoever is the most familiar with a game will take the lead in a game like this, and that means Jack, and that typically means whoever is the owner of the game. And in the games that I've played of this, the person playing Jack seemed to be having a lot more fun than any of us playing the cops, and they're also the ones who keep saying it's one of their favorite games.

With my main gaming group, I am the only one with a BGG account, and if I owned LfW, I would likely be playing as Jack every time, or at least most of the time. So, I think it is possible that most of the people voting it on BGG own the game and play as Jack most of the time.

But you don't think so, and you say you like playing the cops. So what could I be missing? I love deduction and mystery in general (Robert Parker is one of my favorite authors), and I love the idea of the game. Even thinking about it right now, I want to like it. I should like it. Maybe the guys running the games didn't follow all of the rules correctly? I can tell you that the one guy made us each control our own colored cop, and the other guy made us all discuss as a group and move all the cops as a group. The former was slightly better, and the latter felt like I could never really do what I wanted to do, or else I'd come off as an alpha gamer. Perhaps I would enjoy it a lot more in 2-player? I like Mr. Jack Pocket with the wife, and this seems like it would be sorta similarish, just on a much bigger scale.

EDIT:

macgruff wrote:
I do find it more fun as Jack, but that's not to say it's bad as the investigators (I guess I just like the feeling of being chased more than the act of chasing).

I would never play the game with more than 3 people. I find when playing as the investigator, I either like to play all of them myself, or have one other person to bounce around ideas with.

The upcoming expansion may add a bit of variety to playing as the investigators, but I'm fine with the game the way it is.


Anny48 wrote:
I enjoy the game as a 2-player game. With more players, it really drags and I get annoyed. Even as Jack, because you have to wait forever for the cops to finish and then, if you prepared your move, you're done with your turn within the minute.


Just saw your posts, and I am thinking perhaps this is exactly the crux of the problem for me. (See my previous paragraph). The times I've played LfW, the player count has been maxed.

EDIT: I see BGG's got it listed as best with 2, but the full player count is still recommended. I would give it a shot again with 2 or maybe 3, but I'll probably steer clear if it gets higher than that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played a 2 player game, only 4+, but I have to say, I do find it better as Jack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Thelonious Monk - Monk's Dream
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All of my plays have been 2-player games. No surprise there; I've been playing games of this sort (Scotland Yard, The Fury of Dracula, Garibaldi: The Escape, etc) for more than 3 decades, and I think they are all best suited for head to head play. That being the case, even if one side were objectively more fun to play a person wouldn't get far if they always insisted on having that side, would they?

Even if it so happened that your playing partner was your bizarro world opposite, who preferred the other side, I'd still counsel you both to switch sides periodically. It's amazing how much insight you can gain by seeing situations for which you've developed stock responses tackled from a fresh perspective.

People fall into ruts easily and often assume they've run out of options before they've played enough to learn otherwise. That's in part a product of the sheer volume of new games flooding the market. If a game doesn't gobsmack the players in their first play, it's tempting to move on to one of the other 14 new ones they haven't tried yet.

Letters from Whitechapel deserves better. It isn't snack food, it's a full meal. Invest more time in it and in the end you'll be very happy that you did.
4 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Yasinski
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
I've played the game 7 times, 6 of which were with 2 players. As others have said I think it is best with 2. In fact I am hesitate to play it with more than 2. As for the game being more fun with Jack? I would say I like playing both sides. In fact my most memorable game was when I played the detectives. I arrested Jack on the 4th night one spot away from his hideout. It was one to remember. It's a great game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Langford
United Kingdom
Burntwood
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I've mostly played with 2, occasionally with 3.

Fun is a subjective concept. I thoroughly enjoy playing both Jack and the Investigators, and they are two COMPLETELY different experiences. I agree with Sphere that playing one side really helps you in playing the other better; my main opponent and I switch sides each time we play.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've already come to the conclusion that it's not that Jack actually is more fun, but rather my dislike came from the high player count.

However, I think that in a 3+ player situation, I would have more fun as Jack. But as a 1v1 game, I think I will like either side - maybe I would even prefer the cops. But I need to try it before I drop any money on the game myself, and playing it at 6 players is something I will absolutely refrain from in the future.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
danaolson wrote:
I've played this a couple times now, as one of the investigators..


danaolson wrote:
But I need to try it before I drop any money on the game myself


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AntandBeeandtheABC wrote:
danaolson wrote:
I've played this a couple times now, as one of the investigators..


danaolson wrote:
But I need to try it before I drop any money on the game myself




I need to play it 1v1.... Before I buy it.... I've only played at max player count.... What's confusing you about this?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:

I need to play it 1v1.... Before I buy it.... I've only played at max player count.... What's confusing you about this?


He's a troll, just ignore his posts.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patty Pilf
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
verandi wrote:
danaolson wrote:

I need to play it 1v1.... Before I buy it.... I've only played at max player count.... What's confusing you about this?


He's a troll, just ignore his posts.


Actually madam I found the two posts to be a little contradictory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Sphere wrote:
danaolson wrote:
Are all the people giving the game really high praise mostly playing as Jack?

That's not very likely, is it? 50% of the plays in two-player games would be by people playing as the coppers, scaling up to 94% of the plays in games with 6. I think you're here to express your own opinion more than to ask ours, but giving you the benefit of the doubt I'll submit that I enjoy the game immensely from either side of the table.


...Assuming the people playing Jack aren't the ones who bought the game and subsequently flooded the good reviews, while the Investigators wouldn't even bother to post a negative one?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.