Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Hi, I've been playing this game since it came out and have played every variation you can imagine. Recently I had a thought. What about before each side goes, you roll a d8 to see how many "zones" that side can activate. and by that number you plan your attacks. This means no side can do everything it wants to every turn most of the time. Aircraft would activate for free as long as they can land including eco raids. There would be no penalty for loading and unloading troops. I'm going to roll through it solo like this just to see what happens. I think it could be very interesting. Any thoughts post um!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die rolling may work but, it may also prove to be too unbalanced. I would try it with a minimum # of actions per die roll. A House Divided has a rule where a roll of 1 will always be 2 "moves". I would start with that.

Another idea you could consider is a variation on Europe Engulfed or Eagle Games' Attack!. EE has "special actions" you buy to do nifty things and Attack! with the expansion has you using Oil to take actions. A possible variation would be making nations pay 1 or 2 IPCs per attack or activation if anything other than infantry makes a move.

Good stuff though. Let us know what you come up with and how it works out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
This may cause an unbalance in troop levels because if they can't move they can't be used. It may cause unnecessary stagnation. It seems interesting to try though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for both of your ideas! I see exactly what each of you are saying about the downsides to my idea. I made notes on each. I am going to run it "dry" and see WTF happens.

My biggest bitch about this game has always been the lack of a Pacific War between JAP & USA. It has always bothered me. I think if that could be fixed the game could be almost perfect. Any other ideas and I'm all ears guys.

Thanks--Cliff
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cliffote2 wrote:
My biggest bitch about this game has always been the lack of a Pacific War between JAP & USA.

Why does this happen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I'm my 30 years of playing, most Jap players concentrate hard on Russia to put the squeeze on them leaving the pacific alone for the most part. Additionally, the US is building to take out Germany as quickly as possible with the help of Britain. I'm not saying every game goes that way, just most that I have played with experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliff,

Thanks for the explanation.

I've not played the Nova game in years, and can not remember what strategies we used back then.

I did not even remember that Japan and Russia could fight each other, until some other conditions were met?

Maybe the variant rule should be built around that? Or maybe changing the production values, such that Japan would more likely try and fight the USA, and the Commonwealth, like they did historically?

Stephen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cliff curtis
United States
west allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
we tried the non-aggression rule between Jap & Russ until the Jap money got down to a certain point (cant remember how much) Then it was ok for Russ to Attack Japs and vice versa. The problem with that was the Germs just took a beating with no help from the east on Russia so we just dumped that idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen A
United States
Brooklyn
NEW YORK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cliffote2 wrote:
we tried the non-aggression rule between Jap & Russ until the Jap money got down to a certain point (cant remember how much) Then it was ok for Russ to Attack Japs and vice versa. The problem with that was the Germs just took a beating with no help from the east on Russia so we just dumped that idea.

Ah, ok, sounds like a deeper flaw in the game design then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.