England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmb
I have searched the forums but can't find this question so apologies if it has been covered before.

We have a few games under our belts but tonight is our first 4 player game. After looking at the board, the option to randomly distribute the factions doesn't seem right. One player could be hemmed in and another in acres of empty uncontested space. The rules don't seem to cover this (unless I've missed that bit), so whats the collective wisdom on the best factions for four players?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul H
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
Why aren't you at your post?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's generally recommended by most (including Jamey, the creator) to choose randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've discovered no discernible trends or patterns in winning as they pertain to factions or play mats and I don't think there's a best set at a particular player count, but I do recommend some factions based on experience level with the game. The Rusviets and Polanians are best suited for newer players, as their abilities are fairly straightforward and easy to use effectively. Aside from that, we just take factions randomly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve w
United States
milwaukee
wi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
best practice is random
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The uncontested space really isn't uncontested - tunnels bring everyone closer together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Sombrero
msg tools
mb
My limited experience tells me that when Nordics are nit in the game, the Crimean faction has a huge edge. Nordics have the only two resources Crimean miss exactly next to the starting zone, which effectively means that the moment you research WWayfare, you are on an island with all resources available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neilan Naicker
msg tools
mbmb
Never had a problem with random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you learn how to read the board, it becomes apparent that no-one is hemmed in. Take a look at the reference cards included. They have a map that shows which factions can cross rivers where. The board is purposefully designed to prevent the problem you are anticipating.

Don Sombrero wrote:
My limited experience tells me that when Nordics are nit in the game, the Crimean faction has a huge edge. Nordics have the only two resources Crimean miss exactly next to the starting zone, which effectively means that the moment you research WWayfare, you are on an island with all resources available.

There are lots of ways for the other factions to counter this. In fact, all they usually need to do is get Riverwalk (or their other faction specific move - i.e. Rusviet's Township, etc.) and they have access to all the other resources too! Each faction has an advantage, the Rusviet's can rush the factory, Saxony can build power to gain lots of combat stars, etc. Crimea may end up on an island with all of the resources in this example, but the other factions can be taking advantage of their special abilities while Crimea is working towards that goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fern Bymob
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Random is the way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes, Random.

Why?

1) That's what the rules say.
2) Unless everyone is very experienced and super competitive, it doesn't make a difference.
3) It's simply easier to toss out random assignments rather than having to figure out an optimal distribution.
4) As the first third of the game unfolds, it doesn't matter where players started.
5) It's a game, after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.