Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm using the format that Alex B created for the WH Kill Team thread (hopefully he doesn't mind)

WHAT IS The Lord of the Rings: Strategy Battle Game?

LotR SBG is another miniatures game from Games Workshop that is mainly setup for 2 players but can easily played with more. The size of the game and amount of miniatures used varies on the scenario being played.

HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO OTHER MINIATURES GAMES?

Of the minis games I've played (Confrontation: Age of Ragnarok, Necromunda, WH40K, Axles & Alloys) this is one of the simpler ones, not as simple as A&A though.

HOW DOES THE GAME PLAY?:

-First a scenario is chosen and minis selected for that game. Most games can be played on as small as a 2ft x 2ft area up to 4ft x 4ft. Anything larger than that would be a huge battle.

-Minis are available for most of the characters from the movies and scenarios as well. So in theory you could play through the entire story if a person had everything.

-A basic turn goes like this:
Priority: Both players roll a d6 for priority, with the winner getting to go first (on a tie the priority goes to the player that did not have it last turn).
Move: One side moves all their minis then the other side moves theirs.
Shoot: Any minis that have ranged weapons may fire at targets in range (priority side going first). To hit the player rolls a d6 and must equal or exceed the characters Shoot Value. If they hit, then they roll another d6 and compare it to the Wound Chart (strength vs. defense, must equal or exceed the number to deal damage)
Fight: Any minis that are in contact with another (bases touching) fight hand to hand. Priority player decides in which order the fights take place. Both sides roll a d6 (if multiple minis on a side, roll a d6 for each one and pick the highest result). The side with the highest roll wins the fight, the loser moves 1" away. The winner rolls a d6 and compares to the Wound Chart (like when shooting)

That's about it. Some characters have special abilities, and terrain rules but they aren't too difficult to keep track of.

WHAT DO I NEED TO PLAY?

Nothing really. I have a pile of minis just itching to battle (The Fellowship, Riders of Rohan, Minas Tirith, Orcs, Goblins, Wargs w/Riders, Cave Troll, Mordor Troll...just stuff I can remember for sure), I several books and PDFs as well, with stats and various scenarios.

WHAT ELSE?

Feel free to ask questions, and let's get some games together!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finished painting the Fellowship this weekend, just a few finishing highlights tonight. I'll post some pics soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I might have to at least dip my toe in the waters here because my wife will undoubtedly make me purchase the Dain Ironfoot model, coming soon from Forge World. So Dain on a pig will be my one-man army! Or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delobius wrote:
Well, I might have to at least dip my toe in the waters here because my wife will undoubtedly make me purchase the Dain Ironfoot model, coming soon from Forge World. So Dain on a pig will be my one-man army! Or something...

I really want that mini too! One of my favorite characters from the Hobbit movies.

Cool, this is a light minis game. The basic rules are very simple and the special abilities, etc. add to the game but don't bog it down. Maybe a WH Kill Team/Lord of the Rings day/night sometime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delobius wrote:

Here you go:

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/The-Hobbit-Trilogy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted this in the WH Kill Team thread as well, but just in case. Some interesting terrain making tools.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1378063512/tabletop-hex...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday Gary and I met at FFG and played a scenario based on the Fellowship being ambushed in the Misty Mountains by a huge force of goblins (10 with bows and 25 with a mix of swords/shields and spears). *Notice some orc minis were used* Gary played the Fellowship and I played the goblins.

The Fellowship were at one end of a ravine when the goblins attacked. To win they had to get at least half of the party to the other end of the ravine or eliminate all of the goblins. The goblins won if they eliminated half of the Fellowship. The goblins could start anywhere but not closer than 12 inches of the party, they could also start on the cliffs. The Fellowship had to treat the cliffs as impassable.

Here is how the start of the game looked from the goblins side.

During the first turn, Legolas and a few goblins were within firing range. Apparently there was something wrong with the elf's bow because he couldn't hit anything, but the goblins aim wasn't much better.

By turn 2, a few goblins had gotten close enough for hand to hand combat. It didn't take long before the goblins had formed a line holding up any progress the Fellowship tried to make down the ravine. The goblin archers kept raining arrows from the cliffs and occasionally found their mark.

Eventually the Fellowship started to take out several goblins, mostly led by the "Hobbit Horde" on the right side. Unfortunately the goblins were able to take down Sam. Merry led the charge and was a killing machine! (all the skulls mark dead goblins)

Merry and his Hobbit Horde turned the tide and the Fellowship got the momentum. Eventually the Fellowship wiped out all of the goblins.

Wrap-up: Early on it looked as though the Fellowship didn't have a chance, the dice were going all the goblins way. About halfway through the game (after Sam went down) we added in a few of the advanced rules and that helped the fellowship but probably wasn't too much of a difference maker though. In the end, both sides are somewhat evenly matched. The Fellowship are stronger and tougher to hit, so they can take on a larger numbered force. It would be fun to try it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the recap! Still looking forward to trying it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was checking out the terrain at Level Up last night, there is plenty there for some good LotR action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was on my way back from the Mothership in WI, had CPR/AED training yesterday afternoon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:

Merry and his Hobbit Horde turned the tide and the Fellowship got the momentum. Eventually the Fellowship wiped out all of the goblins.

Wrap-up: Early on it looked as though the Fellowship didn't have a chance, the dice were going all the goblins way. About halfway through the game (after Sam went down) we added in a few of the advanced rules and that helped the fellowship but probably wasn't too much of a difference maker though. In the end, both sides are somewhat evenly matched. The Fellowship are stronger and tougher to hit, so they can take on a larger numbered force. It would be fun to try it again.

I really think adding the advanced rules is what helped turn the tide. They weren't too hard to implement and it really gave Gandalf a purpose, it helped with theme/immersion too since I had trouble seeing him as strictly melee. Without the fates for misses and damage mitigation this would have been a slaughter. It was the only way to keep everyone from getting surrounded.

Ok time for pics!

Initial setup just after the fellowship shuffled forward carefully. The goblins are alerted to our hero's presence and forward they charge! As Chad noted, Legolas brought the wrong bow and kept missing...

The goblin horde closes in as our heroes watch warily, planning their next move.

Gandalf encourages his friends onward as the next wave arrives!

Samwell has died. The Hobbits enrage and charge up the right flank! NOTE: The skulls all about represent the dead.... mostly goblins!

With the Hobbits bellowing "For Sam! For Sam" as they charged towards the Goblin Horde the tide definitely turned. Wielding whatever they could get their hands on Meri led the frenzied band screaming "Potato!" every time a blow hit.

Oh no! Arragon is surrounded again! But, Gandalf has a plan... (it rhymes with zoom)

Lo, as you peer down the Valley of Death, you shall fear no Evil...

The tide has turned! For Samwell, for SAMWELL!!

With victory so close our Heroes charge forward slaying the goblins as their spirit breaks along with their lines.

There were many Heroes this day, but the greatest were the smallest who all rallied after Samwell fell. Today was the Hobbit's day, most of all Meri!

I had a fantastic time! Thanks for introducing me to the game Chad! Let's play again soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had all of this terrain.

https://onyxworkshop.wordpress.com/about/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That Helm's Deep terrain is great, get that one first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bipf wrote:
That Helm's Deep terrain is great, get that one first!

I wish! I will have to settle using my Mage Knight castle or the fortress terrain at FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goat Riders!

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Dain-Ironfoot-and-Goat-Ri...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:

Cool, so when are you gonna be done painting them to show the rest of us? sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:

Cool, so when are you gonna be done painting them to show the rest of us? sauron

Ha, I need to buy them first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.