Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Hi,

I'm considering trying out New Caprica. I was wondering: Are there any fans out there? I got the impression of a pretty universal "meh", but I thought the same was true about Cylon Leaders, until I tried them and loved them sooo much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do.

I think it's safe to say that the general consensus on the boards here is, as you said, one of "meh" (or worse). I think it can be fun to switch things up once in a while, and it reads as reasonably thematic to me.

It is by no means perfect, and the original ending/destination (i.e. Kobol) is in many ways better, but I think there's still value in it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested in seeing what you think of it then. I think cylons leaders sound amazing.. I just haven't had the time to try it. Always teaching the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's "okay."

The thing about it is that the module assumes you are playing with Pegasus components, six players and a CL.

I think the experience is made worse when you, and many other players, introduce the other expansions' materials on top of the New Caprica module.

In my opinion, it works fine so long as you go with Pegasus components only.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolmogorv wrote:
Hi,

I'm considering trying out New Caprica. I was wondering: Are there any fans out there? I got the impression of a pretty universal "meh", but I thought the same was true about Cylon Leaders, until I tried them and loved them sooo much.
Yes. I wouldn't want to play it all the time, but I'd prefer if 1 out of every 5 games could be this.

It makes you think outside the box. Nerfs pilots, which is a nicer change of pace. Provides variety (and it's not like using NC means all space stuff is eliminated. There's still a lot of that before NC).

corkysru wrote:
I'll be interested in seeing what you think of it then. I think cylons leaders sound amazing.. I just haven't had the time to try it. Always teaching the game...

Pegasus Agendas aren't as great, but some folks still deemed it better than doing the Sympathetic Cylon or no-symp variant.

In both cases, that and Daybreak's Motives, you CAN get some imbalances, but the game can do that to you anyways with the way people play, characters selected, and card draws + die rolls.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the whole, I default to Kobol, with Earth 2nd, and New Caprica and Ionian Nebula joint 3rd.

So my ideal is probably around 1 game in 7 to New Caprica (same to Ionian Nebula, half the games to Kobol, and the remaining 3/14 to Earth)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
ackmondual wrote:
Kolmogorv wrote:
Hi,

[q="corkysru"]I'll be interested in seeing what you think of it then. I think cylons leaders sound amazing.. I just haven't had the time to try it. Always teaching the game...

Pegasus Agendas aren't as great, but some folks still deemed it better than doing the Sympathetic Cylon or no-symp variant.

In both cases, that and Daybreak's Motives, you CAN get some imbalances, but the game can do that to you anyways with the way people play, characters selected, and card draws + die rolls.

I already enjoyed the Pegasus agendas for cylon leaders. From the feedback on them, I thought at first there was something wrong or broken about them, but in my playing experience they seemed perfectly fine. Daybreak Motives for cylon leaders allowed them a little bit more flexibility, but i don't really consider them superior (both are fine in my experience).

One thing that kept me from trying New Caprica is the frequency we play; probably 1-2 times a year (although it used to be more often), and I don't know if NC might confuse the other players. It'd be nice if I could try it out on the PBF forums first, to get a feel for it. We usually play with

*Cylon Leader if 4 or 6 pplayers
*Mutiny cards, but no Mutineer
*No fleet board, no Exodus crisis (basically only Exodus characters and some of its skill cards), no additional Exodus loyalties
*Pegasus game board, no banned characters
* Daybreak treachery, Reckless skills as in Daybreak manual (though this mechanic doesn't exactly seem elegant)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolmogorv wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
Kolmogorv wrote:
Hi,

[q="corkysru"]I'll be interested in seeing what you think of it then. I think cylons leaders sound amazing.. I just haven't had the time to try it. Always teaching the game...

I already enjoyed the Pegasus agendas for cylon leaders. From the feedback on them, I thought at first there was something wrong or broken about them, but in my playing experience they seemed perfectly fine. Daybreak Motives for cylon leaders allowed them a little bit more flexibility, but i don't really consider them superior (both are fine in my experience).

One thing that kept me from trying New Caprica is the frequency we play; probably 1-2 times a year (although it used to be more often), and I don't know if NC might confuse the other players. It'd be nice if I could try it out on the PBF forums first, to get a feel for it. We usually play with

*Cylon Leader if 4 or 6 pplayers
*Mutiny cards, but no Mutineer
*No fleet board, no Exodus crisis (basically only Exodus characters and some of its skill cards), no additional Exodus loyalties
*Pegasus game board, no banned characters
* Daybreak treachery, Reckless skills as in Daybreak manual (though this mechanic doesn't exactly seem elegant)
The PBF games here will use the crisis cards from Exodus as part of its core material. If you play with that restriction, you'll want to go to the Exodus PBF forums (which houses our variant PBF games, as this sounds more than a "simple change" of restricting characters, or using Pegasus IC without a game of Pegasus). You'll also want to list what the banned characters are, as everyone has their own thoughts on this.

FWIW, playing BSG is already confusing, so may as well go all the way. If they're really that confusion prone, you can go so far as to start them off on Saboteur or The Resistance first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Silver
Belgium
Gent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With our gaming group, who are all huge fans of the Battlestar boardgame, we have tried New Caprica about 3 or 4 times. We will probably not do so again. It's just not good enough to make us come back to it, unfortunately...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried NC with 4p and it wasn't as bad as I remembered it being (played it couple of times years ago). We used CFB and daybreak motives for cylon leader (I was Cavil). Humans and Cavil managed to win, but it was a very close win, resources ended 1/3/1/3, when admiral/CAG Roslin (originally Starbuck) ordered the final jump sacrifing herself and one civilian ship allowing president Adama to survive. Original president Alt Lee softrevealed himself quite early when there was an opportunity to damage Galactica twice (there were already 2 damage tokens).

But regarding the NC itself, it is indeed somewhat meh, as has been said, humans spend their actions preparing civilians and cylons have not that much to do either. But anyway, maybe once a year we might play this (we play BSG 1-2 times a week). I think it's on par with Ionian Nebula (which is a bit fiddly).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.