Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Mazzoni
United States
Marietta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really confused by the modifier in the Sheriff's office. Since resolution starts at the Town Hall, I cannot reap the powers of the modifier UNTIL we resolve the Sheriff's office. So if I have a meeple in one of the first two buildings, I play the hand without the modifier. And in order to win the modifier, I first have to win the hand for the Sheriff's office without it, correct? So it's only going to be applicable to the last two buildings and winning the hand in the buying phase. Is this correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The posse spaces with the hourglass take effect at the beginning of the Resolution Phase, which includes the card modifier actions. So, it takes place as soon as you start resolving the first card clockwise to the town hall. The modifier will be used for all of the spaces.

As a note: you don't have to win the Sheriff's Office to modify you hand. You just have to have your posse member on that space.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Fisher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does that include spaces with an hourglass that give influence as well? So should the Resolution order actually be that you go around once and gather your hourglass stuff and then go around again resolving poker hands, winning pots, etc?

I can think of a few instances where this might be important but I'm not 100% sure if all of those building cards are hourglass spaces or instant spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
scottbalmes wrote:
The posse spaces with the hourglass take effect at the beginning of the Resolution Phase, which includes the card modifier actions. So, it takes place as soon as you start resolving the first card clockwise to the town hall. The modifier will be used for all of the spaces.

As a note: you don't have to win the Sheriff's Office to modify you hand. You just have to have your posse member on that space.

Hope that helps

Somewhat like Ciff's question, what is the order? Clockwise from Town Hall?

An example was a building that gives you 1 influence for each horseshoe card on the table. You could use the "change suit" power to change your card into a horseshoe (or change it away from one). So does the modify suit happen first or second or does it depend on the position of the buildings?

Of course, that brings up another question - does that porch card count the modified suit or the natural suit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
scottbalmes wrote:

Hope that helps

An example was a building that gives you 1 influence for each horseshoe card on the table. You could use the "change suit" power to change your card into a horseshoe (or change it away from one). So does the modify suit happen first or second or does it depend on the position of the buildings?

Of course, that brings up another question - does that porch card count the modified suit or the natural suit?

I think the question is when, and in what order, do "beginning of phase 3" effects take place? These types of cards say "At the beginning of phase 3 gain one influence for each X card in play." So does "beginning" follow building order? In which case cards that do this that are ahead of the Sheriff's office would not benefit from a suit change? Do abilities gained from location go into effect before abilities from porch cards? Vice versa?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gonna bump this in hopes of catching an official reply . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
spbtc wrote:
jepmn wrote:
scottbalmes wrote:

Hope that helps

I think the question is when, and in what order, do "beginning of phase 3" effects take place? These types of cards say "At the beginning of phase 3 gain one influence for each X card in play." So does "beginning" follow building order? In which case cards that do this that are ahead of the Sheriff's office would not benefit from a suit change? Do abilities gained from location go into effect before abilities from porch cards? Vice versa?

Poker card adjustments from the Sheriff's Office ARE effective for all considerations in phases 3 and 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mgcoe wrote:
spbtc wrote:
jepmn wrote:
scottbalmes wrote:

Hope that helps

Poker card adjustments from the Sheriff's Office ARE effective for all considerations in phases 3 and 4.

So do those modifications to suits affect the building cards that give you influence for cards with specific suits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
spbtc wrote:
jepmn wrote:
scottbalmes wrote:

Hope that helps

So do those modifications to suits affect the building cards that give you influence for cards with specific suits?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charmy 004
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
By my understanding then, the Sheriff's office Poker card modifications happen with unique timing compared to other "Resolution Phase" effects.

While other buildings "Resolution Phase" effects happen in clockwise order from the Town Hall, the Poker card modification slots resolve immediately at the start of Phase 3.

Is this correct?

If so, it would probably be a good idea to add to the errata or subsequent printing a unique symbol or something for those slots, as they don't work the same way the other slots do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Charmy wrote:
While other buildings "Resolution Phase" effects happen in clockwise order from the Town Hall, the Poker card modification slots resolve immediately at the start of Phase 3.

Is this correct?

No, all Resolution Phase benefits happen at the beginning of the phase, the exception being the ones depenant upon you winning the hand. Those are indicated with an icon of a set of poker chips. The "beginning of phase three" is really a simultaneous thing where everyone reveals their poker cards and collects resolution phase building benefits, taking into account any Sheriff's Office adjustments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Eberlin
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's definitely not clear from the rules but it does make sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I kind of wish all resolution started from the Sherrif's Office and then went clockwise. Would make it a lot consistent (and hence easier to grasp) how this works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
I kind of wish all resolution started from the Sherrif's Office and then went clockwise. Would make it a lot consistent (and hence easier to grasp) how this works.

Now that you know how it works, it should be quite easy to grasp the next time you play. Otherwise, feel free to houserule that you all start from the Sheriff's office if that is easier for your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
randyd42 wrote:
jepmn wrote:

Now that you know how it works, it should be quite easy to grasp the next time you play. Otherwise, feel free to houserule that you all start from the Sheriff's office if that is easier for your group.

I'm just more thinking of every single person I teach it to from now on. I go to meetups and wind up playing with a lot of different people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgcoe wrote:
Charmy wrote:

Is this correct?

No, all Resolution Phase benefits happen at the beginning of the phase, the exception being the ones depenant upon you winning the hand. Those are indicated with an icon of a set of poker chips. The "beginning of phase three" is really a simultaneous thing where everyone reveals their poker cards and collects resolution phase building benefits, taking into account any Sheriff's Office adjustments.

Wait, so the "delayed" influence worker placement space is dependent on winning the hand? So if the guy on the porch (or on the "buy leftover" space on the sheriff) wins the hand the guy on the resource space gets nothing? We played that wrong last night . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy D

Wyoming
Michigan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If your Posse Token is on a spot with the poker chip pile symbol and you do not have the highest poker hand among the other players at that location mat as well as the rival or the Rival if you are the only player on that location mat, then you do not receive the bonus indicated on that spot. You could play it safe and select an instant action spot instead to guarantee the reward or you could try to go for double-or-nothing by selecting a spot with a higher payout but also risk not getting it at all... it's a gamble!

Edited for correction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
spbtc wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
Charmy wrote:

Is this correct?

Wait, so the "delayed" influence worker placement space is dependent on winning the hand? So if the guy on the porch (or on the "buy leftover" space on the sheriff) wins the hand the guy on the resource space gets nothing? We played that wrong last night . . .

To just emphasize what Scott said, winning the location hand is ONLY applicable to posse placement spots with and hourglass and chips next to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brown
United States
Westfield
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I read the rules, you only check versus the Rival if you have no competition for the location. Did I misread that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bender
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, that's correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Crouch
msg tools
jepmn wrote:
spbtc wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
Charmy wrote:

Is this correct?

To just emphasize what Scott said, winning the location hand is ONLY applicable to posse placement spots with and hourglass and chips next to them.

Wait what...? I'm pretty sure all meeples at a location are able to get the winning hand for that location. Unless I've been playing wrong this whole time, the only person who loses something is the person who tried to go double or nothing on it (at the resource space with the poker chips)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Impossibeard wrote:
jepmn wrote:
spbtc wrote:
mgcoe wrote:
Charmy wrote:

Is this correct?

Wait what...? I'm pretty sure all meeples at a location are able to get the winning hand for that location. Unless I've been playing wrong this whole time, the only person who loses something is the person who tried to go double or nothing on it (at the resource space with the poker chips)

We were talking in the context of worker placement spots. Some with an hourglass and chips next to them versus worker placement spots with exclamation marks, $ (buy phase) spots, etc. We're not talking about the overall location pot, the town hall, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Frank
Canada
Tecumseh
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sheriff's modification created quite a discussion while playing this game and I would like to fully understand it. From what I understand, the card modification occurs at the beginning of the resolution phase (Phase 3) and is permanent or consistent for the rest of the round (Phases 3 and 4).

The other person feels that the modifier can be switched on or off as it suits the person who has it. For example if he has the +1 to his card and has a 2, sometimes during the round it is a 2 or he can make it a 3 at any time during Phases 3 and 4 or change it back to a 2 as suits his purpose.

My interpretation is that if he wins the spot, he can (but does not have to) make his 2 a 3, but this is at the beginning of Phase 3 and remains a 3 until the end of Phase 4.

Which is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aseneth wrote:
This sheriff's modification created quite a discussion while playing this game and I would like to fully understand it. From what I understand, the card modification occurs at the beginning of the resolution phase (Phase 3) and is permanent or consistent for the rest of the round (Phases 3 and 4).

This is the correct way to play the game.

Aseneth wrote:
The other person feels that the modifier can be switched on or off as it suits the person who has it. For example if he has the +1 to his card and has a 2, sometimes during the round it is a 2 or he can make it a 3 at any time during Phases 3 and 4 or change it back to a 2 as suits his purpose.

My interpretation is that if he wins the spot, he can (but does not have to) make his 2 a 3, but this is at the beginning of Phase 3 and remains a 3 until the end of Phase 4.

You can house rule either of these if you want, but the first option seems way to powerful, and to unfair to other players. It's the luck of the draw, even the option to change your card after that is a pretty big deal, being able to modify it for each hand is too good in my opinion. Your interpretation isn't as strong but I still feel like it shouldn't be an option. You take your chance going there, if the placement of people after you go there makes you change your mind on modifying the card, then that's part of the chance you take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.