Subject: Have you bought games for profit? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donald M.
United States
Sweet Grass
Montana
flag msg tools
I noticed some KS games are being sold at exorbitant prices on Ebay, BGG marketplace etc.

I usually buy games to play and have fun but not as an investment. Have you ever bought games to sell later for a big profit?

I know some games are highly priced in the aftermarket, but when reprints come out the prices plummet. It is tempting to sell at a high gain though.

Is this the case for recent game like Scythe collectors' editions? I have a chance to get a KS one still but if I don't like it, I'd like to get my money back or sell at a higher price if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely. It finances my hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Sarnia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never messed with Kickstarter but I have def bought a few games when I see them cheap enough to double my money.

With that said, I am still selling these games for less than retail. It usually is bundled in with a game I actually want. I just sold a copy of Machi koro for 25 and paid 10 for it. That profit is now going towards a copy of jambo this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no real money in it.

Pete (thinks it's hard to make much money after shipping and if you pay yourself for your time)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never bought them specifically for profit, but I've profited by selling them. I sell Kickstarters that I lose interest in for my pledge level plus shipping plus whatever seems reasonable. I've sold 4 this way, and they've been the cheapest option available on the BGG marketplace every time I did it.

I've never made more than $30 off it. Actually, the best marketplace transaction I made was selling my Zombicide: Black Plague pledge for $50+shipping and 8 games off my wish list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Not intentionally, but some of the ones that are OOP seem to be rather collectable were I to sell them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oiler1 wrote:
I noticed some KS games are being sold at exorbitant prices on Ebay, BGG marketplace etc.

I usually buy games to play and have fun but not as an investment. Have you ever bought games to sell later for a big profit?

I know some games are highly priced in the aftermarket, but when reprints come out the prices plummet. It is tempting to sell at a high gain though.

Is this the case for recent game like Scythe collectors' editions? I have a chance to get a KS one still but if I don't like it, I'd like to get my money back or sell at a higher price if possible.

If I want to make money Ill just work an hour extra each day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
I don't buy things I don't intend to actually play, but resale/trade value does impact the price I'm willing to pay to take a chance on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I've never done with any of my hobbies is profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Pete (thinks it's hard to make much money after shipping and if you pay yourself for your time)

Tell that to the guy who made $3000 off KDM and the expansions on eBay, from a BGG user! Lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ligon
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
I don't buy things I don't intend to actually play, but resale/trade value does impact the price I'm willing to pay to take a chance on it.

Exactly. You would need to spend a lot of time/energy to speculate on games in the current market. There is probably more money to be made in a part-time service industry job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a game intending to flip it a few years back, before I knew much of bgg so I went thinking amazon/ebay had a usable price. I was wrong and I still have Star Wars: Star Warriors on my shelf.

I have had success buying a bundle of games with the idea that I would sell the ones I'm not interested in. That worked out well when I came across a guy (I think recent college grad) moving cross country for a job and only taking what fit in his car. Got about 8 games for $5 each sold 2 and came out a little ahead cash-wise and had a few games to boot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meat Popsicle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Yep, absolutely. Like someone above said, it helps pay for other games.

Found a copy of Cave Evil last year locally and sold it right away for a nearly 400% profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

There isn't much time investment needed. Hardest part is finding suitable shipping containers initially. I prefer USPS since I can schedule pickups for free.

Another challenging part is having thousands tied up in non-existent assets for years until the kickstarter arrives. And speculating on what is worth the most. A lot of it is gut feel. And looking past the BGG group think. I've made the most on stuff BGG people hate like cards against humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not intentionally. Sometimes stuff goes out of print and I have a hard time convincing myself I would miss a specific game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Vaughan
flag msg tools
Mishko wrote:
Yep, absolutely. Like someone above said, it helps pay for other games.

Found a copy of Cave Evil last year locally and sold it right away for a nearly 400% profit.

Hehe, in a nearly identical scenario I bought a local copy of After Pablo earlier this year, knowing that if I didn't like it I'd easily be able to sell it (I had seen it sell for more than 4x what I paid for it), but I ended up liking it and keeping it! It is my one ultra-rare game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
79strat wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

Tell that to the guy who made $3000 off KDM and the expansions on eBay, from a BGG user! Lol.
That's like pointing to that one time when you paid $5 for a lottery ticket and won $200 and neglecting to note all the $5 payments you got nothing for.

Pete (has sold some games for more than he paid for them, but it's not profitable in the long run)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Wales
Cwmavon
West Glamorgan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The general concensus in this thread seems to be that people think that buying and selling games with a profit at the end of the day is not really a viable option.

As with anything else in life, it depends. Here's my tale:

Though I had been buying and playing wargames since the early 1980's, until 2008 I mostly bought a game, played it to death and wore it out. Then, if it was available, I would get another copy.

However, by 2008, being that much older and with much more disposable income, I started to buy games that I was interested in on a bigger scale. Initially, the idea was to get a collection together for retirement (as a teacher, I was looking at being 60) and then have a real blast playing them after retirement.

Many of the games that I wanted were OOP and thus I had to patiently search around to buy them. I did pay above the normal cost in a fair amount of cases (but where possible I bought new or at a fair price), but nowhere near some of the crazy prices on e-Bay (and even on BGG).

Between 2008 and 2013, I purchased quite a collection (indeed many times I thought to myself I would have to live to be 100 years old to play them all) and it cost me getting on for quite a few thousand pounds over that 5 year period.

I had to take early retirement from teaching in 2013 due to a stroke and to cut a long story short, made the decision to sell them. Quite a few went on BGG, but mostly on e-Bay auctions. I sold them for approx. just over double what I paid for them over the previous 5 years. Try putting several thousand in the bank and seeing how much that has grown to over 5 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

Hmmmmm... my numbers must be wrong, as Pete says they don't exist.

Stares at large collection, a majority funded by rare game sales.

Yup... no profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel my quality of life profits greatly from enjoying games with my friends and family. So yeah, that's what I buy them for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Prewitt
United States
Albany
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
79strat wrote:
plezercruz wrote:

That's like pointing to that one time when you paid $5 for a lottery ticket and won $200 and neglecting to note all the $5 payments you got nothing for.

Pete (has sold some games for more than he paid for them, but it's not profitable in the long run)

I know a guy who knows a guy (fascinating) who makes a living flipping KS games.

I however seem to lose money on all games, especially if they're OOP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davej360 wrote:
There's also the fact that as soon as I try to do this intentionally, I'll get burned. zombie

Exactly how it'd go for me.

I thought about doing this with the B&N 50% off with Five Tribes.....I'd be stuck with 5 copies of the game selling for $5 less then i bought them for just to get them out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I buy games and the designers, manufacturers, distributors and retailers all make a profit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a copy of food chain magnate is shrink I paid 95$ for. While I'm not planning on selling it, I do not foresee it being played soon. It's currently a race between a price I can't turn down and a group willing to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Weed
United States
Clemmons
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New games, no. However, I have thrifted games in the past that I knew would go for big money (Heroscape, HeroQuest, Dark Tower, Magic Realm, etc.). Half of the time I end up giving them to friends anyway. Once I picked up two wargames (Case Blue and another German name) for $10 at a yard sale that brought in $400 on eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.