Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tommy McArdle
United States
Summit
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello All. Are both sides able to lay mines ? Are there a set number of mines that are allocated per scenario or game or can you lay as many as possible ?
The reason I ask is say I use the Engineers from the British 6th Abn Div and in a turn lay a minefield. Say next activation I again use the unit to lay mines and on and on with the upcoming turns. Seems unrealistic that this engineer unit could bring this many mines in. Thanking all who reply in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Forester
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no limit on the number of mines. They also represent defensive preparations, not just mines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Curtis
United States
Christiana
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To add to what Lee said, any Engineer unit can place a Minefield Marker in its hex. (10.1 of the game specific rules)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
My rant on mines:

I really dislike the ability of engineers to lay minefields during play. I think hasty minefields are well represented in the system by roadblocks, rear guards and entrenchments.

A single engineer can lay two hexes of minefields in a single 2 hour turn with a formation and division activation; this seems out of whack with what they could do and the number of mines they had available.

Consider in the campaign scenarios that Allied victory conditions involve clearing connecting roads of firezones and mines, a smart german player will lay long belts of minefields on the roads and shoot up any allied engineers they can.

I'm not an expert on the campaign but i don't think the laying of large minefield belts was something the germans were doing or even capable of doing in the timeframe of the game.

Rant over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Smith
Germany
flag msg tools
Then again even occasional mines in areas you move through would cause you to start clearing since you dont know the extent I guess? I mean a mine marker would not have to mean a 500x500m area saturated with landmines, and regarding the connecting roads maybe imagine a few mines here, some booby traps there... all quickly implemented and enough to warrant an auto success clearing delay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick De Girolami
United States
Ocala
Florida
flag msg tools
The Germans layed mines and booby traps at an alarming rate from 1943 till the end of the war, especially in the West.

In addition, this is a critical part of TGD and any German player not fully utilizing his engineers in this capacity will lose fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Rickr2d2 wrote:
The Germans layed mines and booby traps at an alarming rate from 1943 till the end of the war, especially in the West.

In addition, this is a critical part of TGD and any German player not fully utilizing his engineers in this capacity will lose fast.

Minefields are pretty clearly minefields in TGD. Not booby traps or obstacles. The fact that they are on the board at game start and that your friendly units can freely move through them indicates that.

There is a disconnect between the games in the series as well. Did the German/British/American engineers not have mines in the other games?

As I said previously, considering the scale of the game, mines were represented well by rear guards/roadblocks/entrenchments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.