United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
Hoping for some initial thoughts.

Yup. From my unboxing thread (which also has a few of my thoughts on components):

"This game is good fun, but I want to spend a bit more time with it before making any definitive statements! I will say it's hilarious (the fluff text and the whole concept), and it's pretty light with still some space for tactical thinking. Games can be brutally short (especially in two player)."

Sorry, it ain't much, but it's all I've got right now.

Planning on back-to-backing my Lost Patrol and Gorechosen reviews next week, if possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

I'll forgive you this time but from now one I expect full reports, with images and emotions you were feeling while playing. laugh

Seriously though, it's great to hear what your thoughts so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

I'll forgive you this time but from now one I expect full reports, with images and emotions you were feeling while playing. laugh

These were my emotions while playing:

I will say, I feel like it plays better with four players. It creates more interesting situations with positioning and strikes of opportunity. It's pretty funny to wait for someone to duck out of range of someone's attack and then to give them a little nudge so they fall in the pit they just got a bit close to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

I will say, I feel like it plays better with four players. It creates more interesting situations with positioning and strikes of opportunity. It's pretty funny to wait for someone to duck out of range of someone's attack and then to give them a little nudge so they fall in the pit they just got a bit close to.

Would playing as teams, or 2 players each with 2 figures be an option?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pekin2121 wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:
pekin2121 wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Would playing as teams, or 2 players each with 2 figures be an option?

The game has rules for free-for-all, team-play, and all versus one. So, you can do any combination of players and characters you fancy, really.

I have only played free-for-alls at the moment, with one character per player. Controlling multiple heroes is doable, but you have to manage two hands of action cards, which isn't something I like doing.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot, there is also a little variant rule for single combat that creates opportunities for one of the combatants to get an extra activation through a dice-off mechanism. It's intended to stop you being able to plan things too carefully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brought this to the table with my gaming group for the first time last night and it went down very well. After weeks of War of the Ring and Game of Thrones, everyone said how much fun it was. We were laughing throughout as players were nearly decapitated or pushed into fire pits.

The miniatures are fantastic and the fighters seem balanced, each having their strengths. Thanks to white dwarf and age of sigmar i have 7 of the 8 fighters that there are rules for so we have decided to each choose a dedicated fighter and start a league system with two matches a session.

As this was a learning game it actually took a lot longer than the 60 minutes predicted on the box but once you learn all your fighters abilities and the various actions you'll easily bring the game time down.

Blood for the Blood God!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Unspecified
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know where one might find a copy of White Dwarf #1? Every store near me is sold out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
SpoDaddy wrote:
Anyone know where one might find a copy of White Dwarf #1? Every store near me is sold out.

If you are asking about the September 2016 issue, good luck. I can't seem to find one anywhere either, at least one that isn't missing the miniature or doesn't cost at least double the cover price before adding in shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpoDaddy wrote:

The issue was hugely popular. The miniature on the front has a RRP of £18 ($30), so paying £6 for the magazine was a steal. In the UK, online vendors ran out of preorders, and local stores seemed to run out within a week of the release date. The October issue is now out, so you can't even get the magazine from GW direct.

Unfortunately, unless you find a local store selling it, your chances aren't great. On the secondary market, prices are already soaring, because even if they sell for double the cost of the magazine, that's still significantly cheaper than getting the model as a clam pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've gotten two games in (one solo '1 V 1' practice game, and a 3 player free-for-all), and had fun both times. It definitely strikes a nice balance between each character feeling powerful and tough, while still not taking forever to take out. The way damage builds up is also nice, as it feels more like the fighter being worn down and taking more and more telling blows (represented by the Crit cards) as the fight goes on.

The characters are quite well balanced, with each being able to affect the play area quite a lot, making positioning quite important. The characters also feel pretty thematic, with a large focus on getting in close and dishing out the hurt.

That said, I would definitely like to see some standalone games that integrate in with it, as there are quite a lot of factions that would work quite well with the system - the quick and sneaky Skaven, the Fyreslayer dwarves, Chaos Daemons of all stripes, and others as well. I certainly hope to see the variety of characters that this game could support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
I've gotten two games in (one solo '1 V 1' practice game, and a 3 player free-for-all), and had fun both times. It definitely strikes a nice balance between each character feeling powerful and tough, while still not taking forever to take out. The way damage builds up is also nice, as it feels more like the fighter being worn down and taking more and more telling blows (represented by the Crit cards) as the fight goes on.

The characters are quite well balanced, with each being able to affect the play area quite a lot, making positioning quite important. The characters also feel pretty thematic, with a large focus on getting in close and dishing out the hurt.

That said, I would definitely like to see some standalone games that integrate in with it, as there are quite a lot of factions that would work quite well with the system - the quick and sneaky Skaven, the Fyreslayer dwarves, Chaos Daemons of all stripes, and others as well. I certainly hope to see the variety of characters that this game could support.

That would be great if GW makes some expansions. *crossing fingers*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Lewis
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
pekin2121 wrote:
Magius wrote:

That would be great if GW makes some expansions. *crossing fingers*

If they do, I hope the first 3 add Nurgle champions, Slaneesh champions, and Tzeentch champions and unique boards for each god.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SpoDaddy wrote:

I have bought 3 copies of it... And stores in Finland do STILL have it on shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Egbert
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NateLeGrey wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

I have bought 3 copies of it... And stores in Finland do STILL have it on shelf.

3 copies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pekin2121 wrote:
NateLeGrey wrote:
SpoDaddy wrote:

3 copies?

Yep. They were sold 5€ (~$) per magazine. I bought them only to get extra copies of miniature. I think that is a pretty cheap prize for that quality miniature, even if I never build it and use it only in bitzes in bases or scenary pieces.

I actually consider buying fourth or fifth one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.