Popular Tags: recommendations [+] [View All]
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YOUR MISSION, IF YOU CHOOSE TO ACCEPT IT
OK, my game store is having a 25% off all board games tomorrow only
There are a few games that have caught my eye & I have to make a decision and I need your help...

A Game of Thrones: I'm not a huge fantasy fan BUT my read of some of the material makes it seen DUNE-esque(which I love) besides its Fantasy FLight, whose games I tend to like anyways

Mystery at the Abbey: Clue was my favorite growing up. This is Uber-clue. Everytime I've played this, I have fun. But do I NEED to own it.

Pirate's Cove: played this once before, had fun. It has pirates. Would probably appeal to my wife (a very casual gamer)

Cosmic Encounter: AH version, again DUNE-esque but with a sci-fi flair. Cool bits.

I'm open to other suggestions...Thanks in advance
Matt

THIS MESSAGE WILL NOW SELF DESTRUCT...(ok, it won't, but I still have that theme song in my head)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Deckard
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: HELP!!! Big sale tomorrow! Can only buy 1 game...Which o
I can't really make other suggestions, because I don't know what games this mystery store stocks, but Game of Thrones is certainly a good pick. I've played the original Eon version of Cosmic Encounter, as well as the Mayfair version, and they are both excellent games. I haven't played the newer version. If the store has Pillars of the Earth, that a recent title that is a solid design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Horner
United Kingdom
Forres
Moray
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pardon me for being caustic! You own 104 games which hardly puts you as a gaming beginner! Make up your own mind. What is the point of this post? Let the flames begin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They have Pillars. Actually their selection is very good. Deep & varied.
Most of the top rated "in print" games are there.
Thanks for your input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Thrones or Cosmic Encounter, so I have no independant basis for reference. I'm looking for help. I've played the other games. I can make a reasoned judgement on those but am looking for comparative input.laugh Besides, I do value the help I've received on this site.
As to the flame on comment...
What are you? the Human Torch?snore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
A Game of Thrones is a very good game, but it's on the longer side (from a euro perspectice) and is also very confrontational. If you are familar with the game Diplomacy, it has a similar mechanism for simultaneous orders but with a lot of euro-esque mechanics added. It's also fairly confrontational (as you are battling for control of an island); if your group does not handle longer games or more confrontational games well, take a pass.

I'm an Eon Cosmic Encounter fan, so I would pass on the AH version. My second choice would be Abbey. I wasn't a big fan of Pirate's Cove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batmatt72 wrote:
Pirate's Cove: played this once before, had fun. It has pirates. Would probably appeal to my wife (a very casual gamer)

Isn't it always a plus to include your wife?

Seriously though, this and 'Apples to Apples' are the only games I can get my entire family to play. (Although 'Mall of Horror' attracts all but my oldest...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything but Pirate's cove. Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you can muster 4 other people you can't go wrong with Game of Thrones. You seem to have similar tastes as me, and I love AGoT. It really depends on having 4 other people enthusiastic about the game. And it's not actually fantasy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input.
I'll post what I get later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackster111uk wrote:
Pardon me for being caustic! You own 104 games which hardly puts you as a gaming beginner! Make up your own mind. What is the point of this post? Let the flames begin.

I have to agree with this. I have managed to acquire 40+ games without making a single "omgz what should I buy" post. I simply read reviews and looked at images. Maybe I have evolved to a higher life form or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got THRONES. Many thanks to those with something constructive to add.

Since I am a lesser being, I actually value the opinion of others who've actually played the game. I've already read the rules, reviews & sessions of the other games listed. But asking others, gives it the personal touch, a recommendation from a "friend, so to speak.

So feel free to take those triple digit IQs and stick em where the sun don't shine. But I value your opinion, even though your delivery may seem a tad juvenile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Taylor
United States
Castro Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I would go with Thrones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turner
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of us enjoy comparing different games for others, and I can see certain insights could be gained in a post like this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Crockerdile wrote:
Anything but Pirate's cove. Ugh.

I agree. It just feels like there's something wrong with Pirate's Cove. Like on final production day someone lost a page to the rules so they just whipped up something quick before playtesting it in order to meet the deadline. Seriously though, it's going to take some good house rules to get this game to fly higher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wot!
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
...i WILL own it all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
unruled wrote:
dcorban wrote:
jackster111uk wrote:

I have to agree with this. I have managed to acquire 40+ games without making a single "omgz what should I buy" post. I simply read reviews and looked at images. Maybe I have evolved to a higher life form or something.

Well, maybe not a higher life form, but at least an adult with a 3-digit IQ.

Even a rank beginner is better off just buying a game he thinks he might like and playing the heck out of it than he is to fretting over the reviews and opinions of others.

Even if you don't like the game, you'll learn more about your own game likes and dislikes that way. And there's very clearly a viable aftermarket for trading and selling games, so the financial risk is minimal.

Look ... yes I agree, you have too many games, so you don't neeeeed a new one; step back, take a deep breath, and play those games at the back of the cupboard that haven't seen the light of day for at least 2 years.

These damn FLGS, they entice you in and before you know it they have emptied you wallet, hammered your credit card, and taken the loose change out of your pocket, all with a nice smile, knowing you will be back again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too true, my friend. It's a cleaner, less toxic version of crack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
25% off ALL boardgames and these are the four you are considering?

How 'bout "none of the above" yuk and force us to help you choose between Puerto Rico, Goa, Princes of Florence and Traders of Genoa?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually....
They are on the short list for Father's Day, Puerto Rico seems the likely favorite

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Sarnecki
Australia
Melbourne (north)
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

How 'bout "none of the above" yuk and force us to help you choose between Puerto Rico, Goa, Princes of Florence and Traders of Genoa?

Ref Michael Barnes for an appropriate response to this post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

Gee, Ted, I don't know. The OP's choices are between a cool game of fantasy middle ages conquest, a neat who-done-it, a fun pirate game, and a great game of interstellar conflict. Your choices are between a renaissance trading game, a renaissance trading game, a renaissance trading game, and, oh yes, a renaissance trading game. gulp

...and FWIW, of the four original choices, I would have gone with Cosmic Encounter (I WISH I had picked up a copy of the AH version when it was on clearance at Toys 'R' Us!) However, AGOT is a solid choice, which I own but just haven't gotten to the table yet.

In all seriousness, I have to say I'm a little taken aback by some of the rather rude initial replies to the OP. Asking the opinions of other BGG members about a potential game purchase is one of the most fundemental functions of this site. I don't get the mentality that asking for opinions about which game to buy is somehow a bad idea, and in any case, I don't see how it should elicit such rude replies. I guess some people must have gotten up on the wrong side of the gameboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Spence
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its ok, I wasn't really offended...
The karmic world is round
In game speak, that traditionally means that some caring but otherwise non-gamer relative will give the rude poster a thoughtful Christmas/B-day gift like a Themed version of Monopoly because they know he/she is a gamer...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jarvis
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
I don't get the mentality that asking for opinions about which game to buy is somehow a bad idea, and in any case, I don't see how it should elicit such rude replies. I guess some people must have gotten up on the wrong side of the gameboard.

Because you forgot that a lot of members seem to think that only the games they like are good and the rest are terrible. These people feel they should inform everyone else how wrong they are and how much happier they would be if they just agreed with them.

Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
TedW wrote:

Gee, Ted, I don't know. The OP's choices are between a cool game of fantasy middle ages conquest, a neat who-done-it, a fun pirate game, and a great game of interstellar conflict. Your choices are between a renaissance trading game, a renaissance trading game, a renaissance trading game, and, oh yes, a renaissance trading game. gulp

...and FWIW, of the four original choices, I would have gone with Cosmic Encounter (I WISH I had picked up a copy of the AH version when it was on clearance at Toys 'R' Us!) However, AGOT is a solid choice, which I own but just haven't gotten to the table yet.

In all seriousness, I have to say I'm a little taken aback by some of the rather rude initial replies to the OP. Asking the opinions of other BGG members about a potential game purchase is one of the most fundemental functions of this site. I don't get the mentality that asking for opinions about which game to buy is somehow a bad idea, and in any case, I don't see how it should elicit such rude replies. I guess some people must have gotten up on the wrong side of the gameboard.

Okay, that's a good point.

I guess I just have a hard time choosing between renaissance trading games....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.