4 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Variants

Subject: VGA planets - AKA 80s Sci Fi Visual retheme rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
I played VGA planets, a really old pc game that did multiplayer before the internet, the beauty of it was that it crossed all the canons and you had in the same game the "Evil Empire" fighting the "Human Federation" and the "Robot Empire" (AKA Cylons)...

I saw the star wars visual re-theme and realized that I could do much more than just the player mat and the tokens... leveraging the other games in my collection.

My thinking so far (I own all the eclipse expansions BTW)

Robot Empire (Cylons) --> Mechanema rules + Battlestar Galactica boardgame minis (you need the pegasus expansion if you want the dreadnoughts (Stars)), using the Bombers as cruisers and the cylon fighter ships as interceptors

Colonies of man (12 Colonies) -->
Human rules + BS Galactica minis (Fighters for interceptors, Raptors for cruisers, need ideas for the dreadnoughts)

Evil Empire (Star Wars Empire) --> Orion rules + SW Rebellion empire minis

Rebel alliance
--> Exiles rules (Orbitals are rebel bases) + SW rebellion rebel minis

Solar Federation (Star trek federation)
--> Magellan rules + Star Trek Catan minis?

Cyborgs (Borg Collective) --> Pyxis Unity rules + Orion SP1 Ships

The Lizard empire (Lizards from V) --> Rho Indy rules + yet to find miniatures for that one...

There are other races like the fascits (Klingon), Birdmen (Romulan) I don't find an easy fit for... nor easy and cheap minis to come by either!

What do you think? I accept comments and suggestions...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starkiller
United States
Wasilla
Alaska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woah.
I'm not sure I would like such a mash-up of different themes....
But I would love to see some pictures!

I'm no help, but good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
The magic of the vga planets was precisely that mashup! It was really fun to play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Alaiz
Spain
flag msg tools
Tried with the SW rebellion minis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.