Empire of the Sun» Forums » General

Subject: What does the "Air Ferry" in the hex 5408 actually represent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Petri P
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

http://www.worldairops.com/PAC/docs/PAC_Interest_AirFerryRou...

Looks like there was nothing there, the route just went from Hawaii to Midway and onwards directly.

So, is that hex there only to allow non-LRB air to move to Midway in the context of the aircraft ranges of this game? And there is no reason in the game context to allow further movement to Wake, Marianas and onwards, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Whittemore
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure Mr. Herman will inform us, but I'm taking a stab at it to see if I am right

I think it represents using carriers to "ferry" short range aircraft. If I recall correctly, the British did the same thing to ferry aircraft to Malta.

As to why it is only there in this one spot, I suspect because that's the only spot where the US felt it worthwhile using carriers as ferrys, given the distances between other islands of the Pacific. I also suspect actual carrier units can't be used for this because it would be misusing them in their main role, and it is also an abstraction.

Let's see what the designer says because - I like hearing about design choices
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Scanlan
United States
Swampscott
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sounds like a well reasoned stab at it to me. I saw an explanation of it long, long ago that went along similar lines.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.