Twilight Struggle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: USA on Turn 8--Headline or Hold Lone Gunman? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Valentine

Texas
msg tools
mb
Assume you're the USA on Turn 8 in an evenly balanced game that could go either way in final scoring. You have Lone Gunman in hand held over from the Mid War. Neither side has the Reveal Headline space bonus in effect. Your opponent is smart and pays attention to the cards played, so he's likely to know that you have the Gunman in hand. Your opponent has the China Card and you have no way in hand to play the Gunman if hit with Aldrich or Terrorism. Do you headline the Gunman and hope that your opponent doesn't drop defcon in the headline? Or, do you hold the Gunman and hope that your opponent doesn't hit you with either Aldrich or Terrorism?

As Soviets, will you drop defcon however possible in the headline, even if it means passing up a strong headline and playing a weak one such as D&C or KAL, and even if you have no way to force out the Gunman (no Aldrich or Terrorism)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must also assume that I as USA am a good player keeping track of cards... has JFK been played or spaced in turn 7?

But what a wonderful question... of course it depends on what you hold turn 8 as well... but I think that is a cop out answer. I think if I don't hold terrorism or Ames, then there is a good chance that my opponent does and I am forced to headline it. If I hold one of them, then I take my chances and continue holding.

As USSR, if I'm not holding either Aldritch or Terrorism, I have to assume that my opponent has them and isn't too worried about holding Lone Gunman and won't headline... but If I AM holding one or the other, I think I would try to force a defcon reduction if I could...but this is also difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray donovan
msg tools
I hold it. You opponement need to draw one of theses 2 cards but there are a lot in the deck that can potentialy solve the situation before or during the round.
-nuclear test ban
-cuban missile
-quagmire if played ar6 by yourself if hand reduced
-salt negociation
-summit
-how i learned...
-ABM
-nixon
-ussusuri
-ask not
-one small step
-star wars
-glassnot
-aldriech
And some other situations like wargame, cia+missil envy, forcing ussr to give you china card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Rodawig
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
Great question! Even if you have a DEFCON improver in your hand, AA Remix can just make you discard that card. I'm leaning towards headlining this, more so if WWBY is gone. I guess the lesson here is headline it T7!

D&C seems like a pretty terrible headline for the USSR, though. Loses to US w/ CMC, KAL, TDTW; I can't imagine the USSR would ever headline D&C, actually. But they could headline KAL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Wei
China
flag msg tools
If USSR have AA/Terrorism, he would headline a DEFCON degrader.

However, only 3.5 SAFE degraders are possible for USSR headline - Junta, HILTSW and Cuban Crisis, (Missle envy is the half).

It's also a great risk to met a WWBY/KAL Headline for USSR, so you might headline your Gunman if cards mentioned above are out.

However, headlining SALT/HILTSW/NTB are better solutions, and headlining ABM/Glasnost are possible solutions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Stevenson
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I learned recently that if you are in this situation (Turn 8, holding LG & opponent has the China Card) it is a very good idea to headline CMC if you are lucky enough to be dealt it. (Edit: well, I guess you must also have removed USSR influence from Cuba, which I had done...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Weis
United States
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayolog wrote:
I learned recently that if you are in this situation (Turn 8, holding LG & opponent has the China Card) it is a very good idea to headline CMC if you are lucky enough to be dealt it. (Edit: well, I guess you must also have removed USSR influence from Cuba, which I had done...)

You got very lucky! You know I had that game won! ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ray donovan
msg tools
CMC is a strong headline in any case when ussr dont have influences in cuba.Its also a risk free defcon suicide card. I oppened a thread about the defense of cuba in early war and im suprise that few people wants to defend it when usa take realignement positiion at +1. It seems to be an extremly lucrative long term position for both side imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.