United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Negotiations action card reads:

Negotiations wrote:
Pay 1 culture token to play
Free action at the end of your turn.

Choose a player. That player may not attack you during his next turn.

whilst the Leadership card says:

Leadership wrote:
Gain an extra action this turn.

Am I reading too much into the difference in wording, and the emphasis on the negotiations card. What does Free action mean compared to "Gain an extra action"? And why is "at the end of your turn" italicised?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Technically, the Leadership extra action can happen anywhere during your turn whereas Negotiations happens at the end of your turn. In practice, I can't think of a difference off the top of my head.

See my post below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Negotiations is a free action - it doesn't count as one of your 3, and it stops someone attacking you. It COSTS a free action, not grants one...

Leadership gives you a 4th action, and doesn't affect others attacking you.

There is no comparison, these are two completely different cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garth Tams
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
Negotiations is a free action - it doesn't count as one of your 3, and it stops someone attacking you. It COSTS a free action, not grants one...

Leadership gives you a 4th action, and doesn't affect others attacking you.

There is no comparison, these are two completely different cards.

This is exactly it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh whoops, I completely misread that. Been awhile since I've played but Jonathan is absolutely right (I've always played that card correctly, FYI).

Negotiations is a free action and is a specific type of action. Leadership is an extra action and that action can be any action you please.

In other words:
Leadership - Take 4 actions
Negotiations - Take 4 actions but the last action is that a player of your choosing cannot attack you on their next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Ok thanks. So describing it as a free action seems spurious, and I still don't understand the emphasis on the negotiations card. Why is it at the end of your turn? Like somehow playing the card and saying to an opponent "you won't be attacking me on your next go" somehow needs to wait until the end of your turn?

Put it this way. Remove that whole line:

"Free action at the end of your turn." so the card now reads:

Quote:

Choose a player. That player may not attack you during his next turn

Does anything change gameplay wise?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I think the intent is that an Action Card is either played as a part of another action, is played as an action, or is played as a free action (plenty of other action cards are labeled as free actions).

As far as why it is necessary to be played at the end of the round, I am guessing it's a thematic reason: if you play Negotiation first, and then attack them, it would look like the negotiation is off. So playing it at the end of your turn assures that you've already completed any attacks on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
islan wrote:
I think the intent is that an Action Card is either played as a part of another action, is played as an action, or is played as a free action (plenty of other action cards are labeled as free actions).

Understood, so which of those three is leadership then? Nah forget it, it doesn't matter. However if leadership had said:

Quote:
Pay 1 culture token to play as a Free action.

Then that would be consistent and I wouldn't have needed to ask. I get what you mean tho'. I think.

islan wrote:
As far as why it is necessary to be played at the end of the round, I am guessing it's a thematic reason: if you play Negotiation first, and then attack them, it would look like the negotiation is off. So playing it at the end of your turn assures that you've already completed any attacks on them.

I'm sold on that one. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
simon_j_barnes wrote:
islan wrote:

Understood, so which of those three is leadership then? Nah forget it, it doesn't matter. However if leadership had said:

Quote:
Pay 1 culture token to play as a Free action.

Then that would be consistent and I wouldn't have needed to ask. I get what you mean tho'. I think.

Possibly. Leadership looks like the odd-one-out, probably because it just gives a blank extra action (you're not actually doing anything, even as a free action, but you will be allowed to do something else as an extra action). I get the feeling that the free action keyword is more for the designer's sake than the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though almost all Action cards are played on your own turn, the rules don't state they have to be. The timing is listed on the card.

- Free Action: Means play on your turn but it doesn't cost an action.
- AAA, or "As an Action": Means play on your turn as one of your 3 actions.
- Or you'll get some other trigger in bold, which could modify a standard action like Collect, or be another trigger like winning a battle even on someone else's turn.

So yeah, Free Action on Negotiations means you have to play it on your turn... and not in the middle of someone else's turn as they march toward you.

Leadership doesn't really need a timer in bold, because getting an extra action only makes sense on your turn. I think use a free action to get an extra action would be slightly confusing wording, but I see your point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Thanks for the replies, they make it make sense to me now. This means I can (hopefully) explain it better when teaching it too.

For the first few plays I think I'm going to pass around 3 of the player guides to each player as they take their turn so that each action they use, they "play" one of these guides. I know there will be questions in the middle of a turn which will sidetrack us for a few minutes and so this will help keep track of how many actions they've used.

I may use a dice to mark any city that has been activated too as a reminder to adjust mood if it is activated again in the turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
It's really not as complicated of a game as you make it sound. The cards are pretty self-explanatory to me, you just gotta remember that the bold part at the top is the cost/trigger and not a part of the actual effect. Keeping track of city activation is pretty easy since you only have 3 actions, the hardest part is just remembering what actions require the city activation when first starting; I'd recommend always stating such an action as "I activate this city to...".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
I didn't think I made it sound complicated. However when teaching new players they are going to ask things early on, then we get sidetracked, a few minutes later I'm going to ask "so how many actions do you have left, is it one or two?". The idea with the player aid cards will make it easier for me to teach, it's one less thing for me to keep track of.

Another example I can forsee is something like this: Someone activates a city as first action, does something else as action two, asks a question, we're sidetracked, they then pause for thinking then activate city for action 3 at which point I'm hoping I remember to remind them they have already activated that city. This might cause them to decide they don't want to activate it after all and then they go back to thinking. With the dice this will hopefully provide a visual reminder as to what they have activated so I don't have to remind them.

I've found from experience the smoother those first few turns go in a new game the better.

I've got a handle on the cards now thanks, the answer to the question in the op: "Am I reading too much into the difference in wording" was yes. If that's what you meant by making it sound complicated then I'm guilty as charged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I begin a turn, I take three advance cubes in my hand. If I activate a city, I put one next to the city, if I get an advance I place it where it goes, and if I do something else, I just lay it aside. I've found that once one does this habitually, it makes tracking actions and activations really easy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Barnes
United Kingdom
Leigh
Lancs
flag msg tools
Thanks for the tip, I think I'll adopt your idea instead of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Sellountos
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fielmann wrote:
When I begin a turn, I take three advance cubes in my hand. If I activate a city, I put one next to the city, if I get an advance I place it where it goes, and if I do something else, I just lay it aside. I've found that once one does this habitually, it makes tracking actions and activations really easy.

That's what we do as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.