$30.00
Joseph Johnson
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I kept wondering why this set only comes with 18 figures when the original Mansions of Madness base set came with 24. Now I have my answer: It looks like they've omitted the 6 cultist figures from the set. Is this a big deal? I don't know. You have cultists in the second edition set you can use instead. Maybe you don't really need to have 12 cultists total. But it seems a little lame that they've been excluded, when they are already charging so much for this "expansion."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ronda
United States
flag msg tools
It still comes with the 2 Cult Leaders. The 2E base game also comes with Priest of Dagon. Suppressed Memories comes with 2 Dark Druids and a Wizard. How many tiny robed dudes do you need in your game?

Definitely wish the expansion was cheaper, but it absolutely didn't need more plastic. Especially not cultists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Which cultist cardboard tokens would you use in the extra six cultist bases?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Johnson
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I suppose you don't NEED six more cultists, but as someone who likes to paint all his figures, I would've appreciated the chance to do more variants.

bleached_lizard wrote:

Well, I suppose the counter argument there is they could have included the tokens as well. I imagine Fantasy Flight can afford to squeeze out a few more cardboard chits. Especially seeing as how this set costs almost as much as many brand new board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeX111 wrote:
I suppose you don't NEED six more cultists, but as someone who likes to paint all his figures, I would've appreciated the chance to do more variants.

bleached_lizard wrote:

Well, I suppose the counter argument there is they could have included the tokens as well. I imagine Fantasy Flight can afford to squeeze out a few more cardboard chits. Especially seeing as how this set costs almost as much as many brand new board games.

Okay then, additionally: seeing as the app manages all monster spawns, why would you ever need more than the maximum of six that the app is limited to spawn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Johnson
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Well, the nice thing about an app, as opposed to, let's say, a stone tablet, is that you can make changes to it. Rather simply, in fact. There's even an option in the app right now to toggle what expansions you have, and the app will alter the limits and parameters of the game to include them!

I even said in the original post that you don't NEED six more cultists. It just seems lame to me that they didn't include them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeX111 wrote:
Well, the nice thing about an app, as opposed to, let's say, a stone tablet, is that you can make changes to it. Rather simply, in fact. There's even an option in the app right now to toggle what expansions you have, and the app will alter the limits and parameters of the game to include them!

I even said in the original post that you don't NEED six more cultists. It just seems lame to me that they didn't include them.

I'm not saying that the app is immutable. I'm saying that the reason that there's six cultists is because that's the right amount for the game. Twelve cultists is overkill, and there's a reason that FFG would never design a scenario that includes more than six cultists.

So, keeping that in mind, why is not including six redundant pieces of plastic that would never be used and would just jack up the price of the expansion (which you're already also complaining about at its current level) "lame"?

You seem to be complaining about the absence of something that just completely isn't needed and in fact would be detrimental if it were included (due to the extra expense).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Johnson
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Not including six pieces of plastic is lame because their advertising for this product is misleading.

The box for Recurring Nightmares says on it, and I'm quoting here, "Expand your Mansions of Madness: Second Edition game with Recurring Nightmares. This collection contains all of the investigator figures, monster figures, and map tiles from the Mansions of Madness: First Edition Core Game." Emphasis mine.

Whether the six missing figures are redundant, worthless, or "needed" is irrelevant. The fact is that this set includes less than advertised.

That, to me, is lame.

Does it have much of an impact on second edition players? Probably not. I just think it's worth pointing out. What if you were planning to buy this set to replace some first edition figures which got lost? Whoops! Hope they weren't the cultists, or you'd be screwed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, FFG didn't make this point clear in the advertising or packaging.

Obviously what was required for the 2e core set was 6 cultists in order to have them available for the first four scenarios. So if you don't have 1e, you're set as they supply them in the core box. As you've already got them, they are not reissued in the tile/minis pack. If you've got 1e, well, you've got twelve cultists, which, in my mind, would be too many for any scenario.

So 1e owners get dudded, because 6 of the core figures are duplicates of what they already have. 2e owners get dudded because they miss out on six (redundant) cultist figures from 1e. Either way, you can feel slightly shafted, but the game remains balanced. I guess FFG had to compromise somewhere in order to maintain game balance and still provide value for money. Not having the cultists in the core set would have limited the scenarios that could be offered.

(As a 1e owner, I'm planning on painting the 6 new cultists with different coloured robes, and repainting one of my 1e cultist leaders to match them. That way I can have a little visual variety when the scenario calls for a cultist get-together.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.