Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

The Great War» Forums » Variants

Subject: Generals at the Front Variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone wanting to use their metal generals (or some markers representing them) for something related to the game, you could try something simple like this—if you and your opponent agree:

GENERALS AT THE FRONT:

After set-up, each side receives one General. It does not appear on the board and is not a unit. The General is placed behind one of the sections of the board or with their Reserve Artillery, if any.

At the start of a player's turn and before they play their Command card, their General may be placed next to any section of the battlefield (but still off the board) or with the Reserve Artillery.

When a General is next to a section of the battlefield, Command cards which issue orders for that section are increased by one order for the cost of 2 HQ tokens. If no Command cards issue orders for the section your General is adjacent to, you may still issue one order to a battlefield unit in that section for 4 HQ tokens.

When a General is placed with the Reserve Artillery for the turn, its Targeting dice roll is increased by one Targeting die for the cost of 1 HQ token.

It is possible to have your General recalled to the rear for the remainder of the game. This may happen in two different ways:

1. Called to Account for Rising Casualties: When you lose a friendly unit in the section that your General is placed adjacent to. After receiving their Medal and if the game has not then ended, your opponent rolls two battle dice. If two Stars are rolled on the dice, your General is recalled back to headquarters and may not be used for the remainder of the game.

2. Called to Account for Ineffectual Barrage: When you fail to cause any enemy figure losses or tank hits while your General is with your Reserve Artillery after its ranged combat. After resolving all ranged combat with your Reserve Artillery while your General is with the unit, your opponent rolls two battle dice. If two Stars are rolled on the dice, your General is recalled back to headquarters and may not be used for the remainder of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job Brady! I was wondering when someone would step forward with a suggestion for those generals...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest the Ineffectual Barrage also involve a die roll for recall, or maybe you just don't want the general to get involved with the Reserve artillery?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies and… Read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I was thinking about when the Strength of the Reserve Arty was already fairly high (4 or 5) a player might be inclined to camp him there to pick up an extra Targeting die for 1 HQ point. This would also be a good way to avoid being recalled for rising casualties, too, even if the Reserve Arty isn't used. (And when your HQ tokens are low, it's still a good idea.) I wanted something that would precipitate a recall and a whiff on a big roll might do that.

But you're right that there's no good reason to penalize the General that way when the Reserve Arty Strength starts low already (2 or 3). So, yeah, there should be some flexibility there.

I'll modify the suggested variant so that each event offers the chance of a recall to headquarters on two Stars on a roll of two dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.