$60.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Campaign Games and Replay Value Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
Hi all!

I've been a long time video gamer and years ago I did some tabletop gaming, like D&D and such.

Fairly recently I have really become addicted to board games. I've had a blast checking them out. Right now we mostly play 2 player co-op strategy games.. mostly of the Matt Leacock variety. I've been looking into some campaign games and they definitely seem up my ally.

A lot of the campaign games have a high price tag and I'm worried about replay value. I am going to a gaming library this weekend and was going to consider checking some out and was curious what people would recommend?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Radan
United States
Centrevillle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Legends of Andor is one of my favorite games. It is a campaign game, but one of the "Legends" has a randomized setup, so there is some replay value there. Plus, you can download at least one free Legend and the expansions are pretty cheap.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themistoklis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Avid Euro Gamer
badge
Novice Board Game Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can wait for some months I suggest you Near and Far
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
NerdyOctopus wrote:
Hi all!

I've been a long time video gamer and years ago I did some tabletop gaming, like D&D and such.

Fairly recently I have really become addicted to board games. I've had a blast checking them out. Right now we mostly play 2 player co-op strategy games.. mostly of the Matt Leacock variety. I've been looking into some campaign games and they definitely seem up my ally.

A lot of the campaign games have a high price tag and I'm worried about replay value. I am going to a gaming library this weekend and was going to consider checking some out and was curious what people would recommend?


Based on your other interests, you would likely enjoy Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
ronjake11 wrote:
Legends of Andor is one of my favorite games. It is a campaign game, but one of the "Legends" has a randomized setup, so there is some replay value there. Plus, you can download at least one free Legend and the expansions are pretty cheap.


I've been eyeing Legends of Andor, definitely worth checking out.


Emu Prime wrote:
NerdyOctopus wrote:
Hi all!

I've been a long time video gamer and years ago I did some tabletop gaming, like D&D and such.

Fairly recently I have really become addicted to board games. I've had a blast checking them out. Right now we mostly play 2 player co-op strategy games.. mostly of the Matt Leacock variety. I've been looking into some campaign games and they definitely seem up my ally.

A lot of the campaign games have a high price tag and I'm worried about replay value. I am going to a gaming library this weekend and was going to consider checking some out and was curious what people would recommend?


Based on your other interests, you would likely enjoy Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.


I think you may be right about Warhammer, I remember it being on my radar some time ago, but it was before I was into board gaming.

I appreciate the suggestions!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien K
Japan
Kyoto
flag msg tools
NerdyOctopus wrote:
I am going to a gaming library this weekend


So jealous angry
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
You may like Legends Untold

Comes with a dedicated campaign system to level up your Hero.

Upgrade your weapons, kit, outfits. Gain more Talents and decide whether you want breadth or depth of skills.

Enjoy the gaming library!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is already on your want to play list (a great game btw), so you should check out the addon Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island – Voyage of the Beagle (Vol. 1) which is slightly different but comes with a campaign.

The replay value of Robinson Crusoe is quite good, it comes with six distinct scenarios, a seventh can be downloaded from the publisher's site, and there are some more fan made scenarios available.
Also, there is some randomness in the setup and a variety during gameplay because of the cards, tiles, and dice.

The Beagle addon has five scenarios which form the campaign.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nessie76 wrote:
You may like Legends Untold
When is this supposed to be released? There hardly seems to be any information about it, yet.

I have to agree with the OP mostly. Board games based on campaign play tend to be expensive, and replayability is an issue unless you enjoy playing multiple time with different heroes.

However, you'll likely still get your money's worth, even if you play the campaign only a single time. E.g. the forthcoming Gloomhaven's campaign will take about 100h to play through...

Arkham Horror: The Card Game also looks promising, and due to the LCG model, cost is at least spread out over time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
jhaelen wrote:
Nessie76 wrote:
You may like Legends Untold
When is this supposed to be released? There hardly seems to be any information about it, yet.

Arkham Horror: The Card Game also looks promising, and due to the LCG model, cost is at least spread out over time.


Quite right! It's been in graphic design hell for 6 weeks but is coming out the other side now. Review copies going out next week, New Box Art to follow followed by videos and a community wiki in short order. We just need to get the game in the hands of the Reviewers in time for the Kickstarter Launch (15 November).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The Warhammer quest card game is a dead game. Won't ever be expanded upon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev Young
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Also I should have said, yes I am HUGELY excited about the Arkham card game also. It looks great fun.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerdy Octopus
United States
flag msg tools
Thank you all. I'm going to the library tomorrow so I'll poke around and see what I find.

There's a good chance I'll be overwhelmed and forget my mission for a campaign game and get lost in geeking out. =P
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.