$30.00
$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
Veli Vasara
Finland
flag msg tools
Since this game is being discontinued, I thought why not make the expansions the DIY way.

The plan is this:

1. Buy https://www.amazon.com/NT-Aluminum-Die-Cast-Heavy-Duty-C-300...

2. Cut 53mm, 63mm and 82mm discs out of 2mm mechanical pulp board (also known as mechanical woodpulp board or "puupahvi" in Finnish)

3. Trim disc sides and top with scissors if needed. Fiskars is the best brand for scissors.

4. Print disc graphics on whole sheet label paper so that the print overflows the disc area.

5. Cut prints from label paper.

6. Attach prints on both sides of the cardboard discs.

7. Trim prints with scissors.

Photos later in the thread.

EDIT: More detailed instructions and better header.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re: DIYskwars
Very eager to see some photos!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
While I don't have tepmlates ready, I would recommend printing armies first, glueing them to cardboard and in the last step cut out disks. While it's a bit more precision work to align fronts and backs, you save a lot of cutting work. And the cutter looks like it could handle it. Also interested in photos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Major Havok
United States
Niles
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are there any online outfits that offer image prints on 2mm cardboard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veli Vasara
Finland
flag msg tools
Without any better templates to try I just printed copies of a photo I took of a random disc to a whole sheet label paper. I edited the photo so that the red area would extend over edges of the disc.

Since the label paper has its own adhesive I simply attached it to the disc and trimmed the excess off with scissors. Then I did the same for the other side of the disc.

The colors are off and text is not as sharp as on the original, but the end result is definitely a playable disc.

It is not possible to cut the discs when the label is attached on the disc, because the circle cutter will punch a hole in the middle and tear the label off from the edges. The process above works better and allows for trimming the cardboard discs with scissors so that the disc is flat. The hole in the center is also covered by the label.

Here are some pics of the discs:

Raw cardboard disc and pieces of the whole sheet label paper waiting to be cut (notice the hole in the center of the disc and some tearing around the edges)

Closeup on two discs, original on left side

All discs stacked

All discs side by side
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adolph Pernal
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those look amazing! Did youuse a special type of cardboard? That looks like thin mdm! Where can I find cardboard like that?

Also, any luck with a higher quality template?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Veli Vasara
Finland
flag msg tools
The cardboard I used was apparently not cardboard, but according to Google Translate "mechanical pulp board". It was sold in a crafts store.

I spent some time making vector templates for the disorder discs, but it will take a long time before anything is ready that way. Let's see how that will turn out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.