Subject: Exploding Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Beller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Has anyone tried an "Exploding Dice" Variant? If you do not know what that is, it is when you roll a natural "6", you roll again, adding the new number to the previous 6. You keep doing that until you do not roll another 6, adding up your results.

We tried it in our game last night and we liked it. It gave the guy a shot when defeat in a throwdown was guaranteed.

But I wonder if that is the point? You go in with enough dudes and plenty of guns....the other side is simply rolled over.

What do you all think about it, though? We liked it, but I wonder if it could/would kill the intent of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here, move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not like that rule in competitive games. The dice are there to make the combat not totally deterministic, which is fine, but if I throwdown with my whole crew against a single prospect and still lose because my opponent keeps rolling sixes I probably burn the game.

On the other hand if that happens it is kind of hilarious and some people might have a lot of fun with it.

It might not be in the spirit of the rules but just play the game in whatever way is fun for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Masters
England
flag msg tools
#!STRING_NOT_FOUND!#
badge
Son of Jor-El
mbmbmbmbmb
This subject has been asked before and I've seen various opinions but none of them have changed my mind on it.

This is a game where management of your dudes and order tokens is paramount to success. Members, guns and even prospects are expensive in this game, they are not disposable - and building up your forces takes time and costs valuable cash, guns and order tokens, and as such you should be rewarded for doing so.

If you add in an exploding dice element to the game then it opens up the possibility of somebody going into a throwdown with overwhelming forces against 1 prospect, and although it is unlikely to happen there is a chance that that one prospect could win.

This would mean that bringing large groups to any throwdown would be a waste of time, so people wouldn't bother doing it so instead they would just throwdown with one member and roll the dice and see what happens - that way you can leave your other dudes all over the other locations, forcing throwdowns everywhere.

Eventually you're just left with a game where everyone's just rolling dice and seeing who wins to activate each location. All the nuance, negotiation, planning is gone.

This is a game where the objective is to end the game with the most money. It is not a game where the objective is to have a ton of combat and dice rolls. Throwdowns should be seen as an absolute last resort when all other means of negotiation have failed.

Exploding dice would also render the High Octane abilities of groups like the One Niners, Calaveras and Grim Bastards practically pointless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Beller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
This was my thinking and why I asked.

We liked the variant....but I also felt it took "something" away from the game.

Thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.