United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Protect our wildlife parks!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have this right, but is it correct that you can only deploy a maximum of 1 Ninja per turn into the green?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
correct but those in there from previous rounds stay and add to the amount of extra ninjas you can have in the other areas (until a Samurai invades the green and wipes them all out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Protect our wildlife parks!
mbmbmbmbmb
space monkey mafia wrote:
correct but those in there from previous rounds stay and add to the amount of extra ninjas you can have in the other areas (until a Samurai invades the green and wipes them all out).

Okay, that's how I played it on our first game (I was Ninjas). On our second game I was Ronin and my opponent gleefully deployed 3 Ninjas to the Green and said I had (to my flaw) misinterpreted the rules regarding deployment into the Green. We did some hasty searching and came to an inconclusive decision to play it as I had in the first game (as you explained).

I personally love this game. Nothing about it is bad or imbalanced in spite of it being drastically asymmetrical in player goals and how each side is played. This game plays the way I had hoped 2 de Mayo would have played. But that game is plagued by luck of the draw. Draw wrong and you're mathematically eliminated before 2/3 of the game's rounds are over.

I do wish I could find black cubes to replace the Shuriken tokens. In theory and on paper it sounds like a fantastic upgrade in aesthetics to the game, but from a practical standpoint they're far too fiddly and small. Also, cubes would be easier to count from across the table. In our games the Ronin player usually had to count the shuriken left on the Ninja tile by hand as opposed to a casual glance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rake
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I do wish I could find black cubes to replace the Shuriken tokens. In theory and on paper it sounds like a fantastic upgrade in aesthetics to the game, but from a practical standpoint they're far too fiddly and small. Also, cubes would be easier to count from across the table. In our games the Ronin player usually had to count the shuriken left on the Ninja tile by hand as opposed to a casual glance.

I completely agree with this. This is a situation in which attempting to improve the game actually made it worse in my opinion. Sticking with cubes would have been a better choice. After seeing the shuriken my immediate thought was "I'm going to have to find something to replace those". That's not a feeling you want to have when you buy a game. All of the other upgrades were great decisions but the quality and size of the shurikens are a real issue. At least for me they are. Especially since you are constantly using them throughout the game. It adds an annoying feeling to me while playing the game. At some point I'm definitely going to find something to replace them with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McGillivray
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I do wish I could find black cubes to replace the Shuriken tokens. In theory and on paper it sounds like a fantastic upgrade in aesthetics to the game, but from a practical standpoint they're far too fiddly and small.

I just got my copy of the game and was surprised at how tiny the shuriken bits are, too. They're cute but I'll probably switch to black cube.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.