Subject: Mighty Ariete: Queen of the Desert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus Blanchette
United States
Brooklyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone else find it odd that the Italian Ariete Division is the strongest tank division in the game?

It has a combined attack-defence strength of 30-24 as opposed to the 21st Panzer's 28-25 and the 7th Armored's 24-19.

Don't get me wrong! I love seeing the Italians get some respect. But this is overdoing it a little, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobrukker
United States
flag msg tools
I recall that the Ariete Division was comprised, in the game, of a lot of units, making it harder to get the Div. Integrity Shift. Do they all show up at the same time? Perhaps it was just a big Division, of course, numbers don't mean effectiveness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Carmel-Veilleux
Canada
Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ariete comes in as penny packets over 16 turns. Never more then a single unit per turn. The 3 main 6-4-8 arrive 2-3 turns from each other and the main of the force is ready in August '41, 7 turns after the infantry shows up. It's also only 12 steps. 21. Pz is 11 steps and 15. Pz is 13 steps with the german armor regiments having 3 steps.

If you use it offensively, you're unlikely to ever have the whole of Ariete available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, it's not that it was the strongest unit, it's that it received a lot of replacement units for parts that were destroyed. That causes some theoretical oddities in the game, if you manage to keep everything for 12 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.