$20.00
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy Cow Batman...200,000 lights ! Wouldn't want to get their December electric bill.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/family-sent-to-court-for-having-e...

I wonder how the city came up with 7,000 dollars in fines ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*searches for property damage, assault or theft*

Nope, just a bunch of complaining Nazis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
False flag attack. What you label a War on Christmas is actually a War on Taste.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I enjoyed going with the family and looking at houses that went above and beyond in their displays.

Some were pretty big and likely at least came close to the one shown here (one that we like a lot had tons Disney wood cut outs - painted obviously and all made by the family but excellent quality).

As long as it's done safely (ie. not like National Lampoon's), I am fine with it.

I can understand why neighbors may grow tired of the huge amounts of traffic, but unless it violates an ordnance, just try to focus on how many are enjoying it.

I have to admit that when I went around with my family looking at the houses, I never thought about people getting annoyed, but being a family that did go and lit up our house modestly, we would have loved seeing the same in a neighbor's yard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But how else are we supposed to show our love for Jesus? I mean, besides helping the poor or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
But how else are we supposed to show our love for Jesus? I mean, besides helping the poor or whatever.

Not sure I saw Jesus in that display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Nevermind, was there - video just ran choppy for me so I missed it.

But, anyway, the majority is not really Jesus oriented - more on the Santa/Reindeer theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hopkins
United States
Converse
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Any attack on anything related to Christmas is a direct attack against Jesus, America, Freedom, and the 1st amendment, obvs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chief Slovenly
United States
Burlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chopkins828 wrote:
xuzuthor wrote:
chopkins828 wrote:

Any attack on anything related to Christmas is a direct attack against Jesus, America, Freedom, and the 1st amendment, obvs.

Oh, I get it. Sort of a NATO Article 5 for the Perpetually Victimized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whilst the war on Christmaas has left me an orphan, every year I still sit waiting at the foot of the chimney with an AK but the bastard never shows not even to leave me coal.

I did however accidentally shoot both my parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fines and prosecution are wrong. This will be thrown out if it has to go to the Supreme Court.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
The fines and prosecution are wrong. This will be thrown out if it has to go to the Supreme Court.

Why? It was $7k in code violations. I assume it followed the code violation law.

I'd rather they could do whatever they wanted, but you're subject to the local laws your community sets up.

(Isn't that a conservative ideal?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James King
United States
North Central Louisiana / No Longer A Resident of the Shreveport/Bossier City Area / Currently I sponsor gaming groups in Monroe & Alexandria, LA.
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

What offended my sense and sensibilities about that ostentatious lights and decorations diplay was the banner "Believe in the magic of Christmas!"

What an egregiously tinsel-thin notion to aspire to display with that conglomeration of glitter and glitz!

I feel sorry for those people's neighbors having to put up with all that car and pedestrian traffic invading their neighborhoods from Thanksgiving through New Year's Day every year for 23 years.

How much do you wanna bet that that family's donations to Christimas charities over the years would add up to be much less than half of what they paid in electric bills over that same time for that materialistic "Christmas" display?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
ShreveportLAGamer wrote:
How much do you wanna bet that that family's donations to Christimas charities over the years would add up to be much less than half of what they paid in electric bills over that same time for that materialistic "Christmas" display?

Most of it is a secular display. Calling on religious freedom is a bit spurious here, but they should have a right to put up whatever display on their property they want to (as long as they follow building codes, which they obviously didn't.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
xuzuthor wrote:

Who?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No wonder the US squanders more resources per person than any other nation on the planet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
False flag attack. What you label a War on Christmas is actually a War on Taste.

I hope you mean "a War on Lack of Taste. And Sanity. And Any Form of Congenial Aesthetics, For Goodness' Sake!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonb wrote:
Holy Cow Batman...200,000 lights ! Wouldn't want to get their December electric bill.

http://wsvn.com/news/local/family-sent-to-court-for-having-e...

I wonder how the city came up with 7,000 dollars in fines ?
Good, they have neighbors.

It's also fucking September.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.