Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Replayability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jaric Loving
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I've been perusing the MoM2E forums lately to get feedback on the new scenarios and current state of that game. Some people are understandably disappointed in the poor replayability of the scenarios.

I haven't tried TIME Stories, but I've heard many say that, that game is a one time deal for a given scenario. It's a blast the first time through, but once it's over, it's over. Of course, you could play again, but once you know the story and what to do, there's no real point in playing it again.

MOM2E is in a somewhat different state. Randomized maps, but the objective doesn't change. I'm sure FFG could change this, but only time will tell.

Getting to the point, AH:LCG looks awesome and I'm looking forward to playing, but early previews/reviews seem to indicate this game may follow the same fate. Once you play through the scenario, the "excitement and mystery" is great, but on subsequent plays only the challenge differs. There's already a review from Marco in the forums, so that's his take. Obviously, with the LCG format, the only solution is to keep buying more packs to keep it fresh.

Anyone heard differently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel McNaughton
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is your take on the replayability of the Lord of the Rings LCG? It's all very relative to that. The Scenario has card draw variability, and Character you choose has variety. AH adds the campaign growth/leveling up aspect to it.

If scenario mystery is a really high priority for you, then AH probably isn't going to fill that need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
One of the reasons I am looking forward to this game is because I get both scenarios:

First play through I get the story, the surprises, and the character building.

Second and beyond playthroughs I can do more deck tweaking, try new things, new characters, etc. to make the game interesting beyond the story.

Also, you have multiple difficulty levels to try. And from the sounds of the campaign book there are multiple endings to the scenarios to add some variety for replay value.

But, I also don't use replayability as part of my decision to buy games if the theme and mechanics interest me. So take what I say with a grain of salt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
replayability is a issue for me. but this image:

offers the thought that it will be several "encounters" for a single location. i hope this mechanical way will be spread over a lot of scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
souloon souloon
Poland
flag msg tools
Question is simple - do you like to beat the game again to acomplish other ending?

If yes - then the AH-LCG is right up your alley. If no - then you might wait a bit for some expansions to come out first.

All previews are making me think that in arkham horror you do have different endings coming from player choices. And that's a way to make game more re-playable. We do know for example that there is 3 endings of the first scenario, two in second one and two in last one. That means that there might be one default ending of the night of the zealot, that is pretty easy to get, and second one that needs correct choices in the other two that came before it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Deimer
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As with any scenario driven, campaing game, the first playtrought will be most exciting. After that you will know main story.

But there will be still challenge to play it on higher difficult, get the best ending, most possible xp. Other incentive might be get the best possible character at the end of campaing so you could easily *transfer him to the next campaing.

I believe that replayability will be significantly higher than Mansions of Madness. Propably comparable to campaing games like Descent, Imperial Assault.

*- Generally you should start each campaing with a fresh character, but rules also mention that if you are brave enought you might transfer a character from previous campaing(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess those investigators come over with their higher level cards, but also all the treachery cards they have accumulated. So I wonder if it would be a bane or a boon to carrying over investigators. I guess potentially either depending on how the campaign went

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaric Loving
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
BathTubNZ wrote:
What is your take on the replayability of the Lord of the Rings LCG? It's all very relative to that. The Scenario has card draw variability, and Character you choose has variety. AH adds the campaign growth/leveling up aspect to it.

If scenario mystery is a really high priority for you, then AH probably isn't going to fill that need.

I have not played LotR LCG, so I cannot comment on that.

soul31 wrote:
Question is simple - do you like to beat the game again to acomplish other ending?

If yes - then the AH-LCG is right up your alley. If no - then you might wait a bit for some expansions to come out first.

All previews are making me think that in arkham horror you do have different endings coming from player choices. And that's a way to make game more re-playable. We do know for example that there is 3 endings of the first scenario, two in second one and two in last one. That means that there might be one default ending of the night of the zealot, that is pretty easy to get, and second one that needs correct choices in the other two that came before it.

I do like to play games again to see other endings. I didn't consider that. Thanks! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kring Sai
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
calpurnio1973 wrote:
replayability is a issue for me. but this image:

offers the thought that it will be several "encounters" for a single location. i hope this mechanical way will be spread over a lot of scenarios.

This is awesome if it is what it looks like, the best bits about EH are getting the condition cards and then not knowing what awful thing is going to happen when you flip it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Svensson
Sweden
Helsingborg
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BathTubNZ wrote:

My take on LOTR is that the quests have a very high replayability overall, some quests more than others, some not worth it but those are very few. One reason for this is that the players deck is minimum 50 cards and therefore a bit unpredictable. Each card played usually have a high impact on how the rest of the games plays out. Another reason for this replayability is that the quest itself also have a lot of tricks up it's sleeves(!). Treacheries coming in this order or in that makes for a very different game, and I can swear that sometimes the quest deck knows how to thwart our feeble tries to circumvent it's challenges.

Another thing that only heightens the level of replayability is the difficulty of some quests. We, that is my gaming group of four diehard LOTR LCG fanatics, have, on some quests, 20+ serious tries to win, with deck building and tweaking in between, before we crack it. But when we do, we will return to that quest again at a later date since doing it once does not really count since that was probably just pure luck - you have to beat it at least three times before you can call yourself a master of the quest, or that is at least how we see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Coherent narrative and replayability (different paths, choices, outcomes) are at odds with each other. It's a balance between the two. Mansions of Madness 2e has strong narrative with twists, which only are surprising and suspenseful the first time.

This game seems to be striving for more varied replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Milen Krastev
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some wishful thinking in here, not that its a bad thing
The most lackluster thing in LOTR LCG are the locations and it looks like they expanded this, which is big plus. Hope there will be more location based effects and other mechanics that expand that aspect. More like an actual rpg.
But if we put the narrative to the side I don't expect any of this scenarios to be much more replayable then the LOTR LCG. They still depend on the same "threat" deck mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jvdv wrote:

Coherent narrative and replayability (different paths, choices, outcomes) are at odds with each other. It's a balance between the two. Mansions of Madness 2e has strong narrative with twists, which only are surprising and suspenseful the first time.

This game seems to be striving for more varied replayability.

Yes, this is key to understand. People seem to want a deep, narrative experience, and yet are surprised when such a game doesn't offer as much replayability. You honestly have to pick one. If you want a coherent story with characters and branching paths, it's only going to be able to surprise you once.

In my mind, these games are still highly replayable. Even if you know the story, you can still play with different characters, tweak your deck, and try to "min-max" your way through the scenario. Not to mention the campaign offers different choices for the players to make.

I will never understand a gamer that plays a game once and then thinks it might as well be garbage after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With a long campaign of many scenarios, each with various branching paths/outcomes, that may or may not reveal certain elements depending on what you do and choices made, it seems like this game will be both very thematic AND highly replayable.

And that's not counting playing through again with different investigators, different deck builds, etc. which further changes the feel of the game.

I'm one of those people who usually reads a book just once and never rereads it again (with a few exceptions). So as a gamer, I can understand playing the game to experience the story just once (like TIME Stories) and then not wanting to play it repeatedly.

But this game seems very much unlike any other, so it's hard to compare. So many variables seems to aim it toward replayable, even though with a story-driven campaign and thematic scenarios, it also seems very much a story game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah there are some games where it is just not possible to play them again and get a good play experience. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective for example is an amazing game. It has plenty of cases for you do attempt. Though after you play through a case it would be really hard to play that case again since you know the solution.

That said this game is not that. I play my LOTR scenarios over and over even though I've beat them in the passed. Knowing how each scenario and campaign end doesn't negatively impact the play experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I was just thinking about this. Someone that already has the Core box can correct me if I'm wrong, but even locations that there may be one-of in the Core Set have the double sided art, right? Now, with LOTR I don't remember any encounter sets being reused outside their cycle (barring the core box), but the locations here seem a little more flexible.

Lets' say that one of the locations from the Dunwich Legacy box is a Gas Station, that has one or two cards to choose from. Down the road when the Mountains of Madness cycle releases, they can very easily use the Gas Station as a location again, as long as they provide another one or two cards. However, if you've been collecting now you have even more variety to your location sets; if you haven't been you still get the designed gameplay. What I'm saying is, FFG can easily slip in locations in subsequent releases that match and can integrate with location cards from previous cycles, which they never did with LOTR (that I know of--I never followed the releases super close). It's a fun possibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
So I was just thinking about this. Someone that already has the Core box can correct me if I'm wrong, but even locations that there may be one-of in the Core Set have the double sided art, right? Now, with LOTR I don't remember any encounter sets being reused outside their cycle (barring the core box), but the locations here seem a little more flexible.

Lets' say that one of the locations from the Dunwich Legacy box is a Gas Station, that has one or two cards to choose from. Down the road when the Mountains of Madness cycle releases, they can very easily use the Gas Station as a location again, as long as they provide another one or two cards. However, if you've been collecting now you have even more variety to your location sets; if you haven't been you still get the designed gameplay. What I'm saying is, FFG can easily slip in locations in subsequent releases that match and can integrate with location cards from previous cycles, which they never did with LOTR (that I know of--I never followed the releases super close). It's a fun possibility.

While this is possible, my impression is that locations are fairly tied to the scenario/campaign you are playing through. Mythos decks aren't tied down in this same way, which allows you to recycle those decks in other scenarios. SirRoke's answer a couple posts above mine is the correct answer to the OP's question. The branching results is the big one. Like in MOM 2.0, you have branching story arcs and each scenario has at least 3 possible story outcomes. For me, getting the two different endings to the first MOM 2.0 story was cool, but I can appreciate that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Cox
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottatlaw wrote:
Eyefink wrote:

While this is possible, my impression is that locations are fairly tied to the scenario/campaign you are playing through. Mythos decks aren't tied down in this same way, which allows you to recycle those decks in other scenarios. SirRoke's answer a couple posts above mine is the correct answer to the OP's question. The branching results is the big one. Like in MOM 2.0, you have branching story arcs and each scenario has at least 3 possible story outcomes. For me, getting the two different endings to the first MOM 2.0 story was cool, but I can appreciate that it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Yes, all locations so far appear to be in the encounter sets with the same names as the scenarios. These encounter sets also contain the Agenda and Act cards, and some Enemies and Treacheries. So, in order for Eyefink's idea to work, the scenario would have to instruct us to include particular Location cards from encounter sets not otherwise in use in the scenario. Not impossible, but I'd guess unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hellicon wrote:
Yes, all locations so far appear to be in the encounter sets with the same names as the scenarios. These encounter sets also contain the Agenda and Act cards, and some Enemies and Treacheries. So, in order for Eyefink's idea to work, the scenario would have to instruct us to include particular Location cards from encounter sets not otherwise in use in the scenario. Not impossible, but I'd guess unlikely.

Ah, didn't realize the icons were ties to the Agenda, Acts, etc. Thought maybe the location sets were separate. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.