Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is a great game, although it was initially over-hyped on the 'Geek. The dust has settled a bit from the game's quick ascension to #2, and its subsequent slow descent to #4. Does it deserve this high ranking?

Components

note: this refers to the German version of the second edition

The box design of the second edition - the most common version, with the King on the outside - is one of the worst I've ever seen. I've played this game many times, and just looking at that box cover makes even me unenthusiastic. One of the first things of note when you open the box is that the board isn't really secure, and can flop around inside the box - unfortunate.

The board is beautifully done - the castle art could be a little less "cartoony," but it's pretty like everything else. The building path and the bridge are well layed out, with lots of reminders along the board of how the various mechanics work. The latter thing is very important, and reduces potential painful headaches during the game. The building cards are similar - beautiful, simple, and conveniently informative.

The rest is just standard wood bits - functional and simple - cubes, houses, discs, and cylinders. No complaints!

Gameplay

The game is composed of 7 different phases -
1.)earning money
2.)placing workers
3.)activating special buildings
4.)provost bribing
5.)activating normal buildings
6.)castle building
7.)royal favors and bailiff movement

Throughout the round, you will spend money to place workers, who will gather resources and build both new buildings and castle sections, which will earn you Prestige Points and royal favors. The player with the most Prestige Points when the towers have been finished wins.

The rounds flow very well together, and nothing feels like it was tacked on to poorly fix a problem with balance. The money is a bit fiddly, as you're constantly picking up money and putting it into the pile, so I suggest putting a pile on both sides of the board to avoid excessively handing coins to each other. The game is long (3 hours if you're beginning, less than 2 hours after a few games), too long by about a turn or two, usually. Enthusiasm wanes exponentially, but the scores are typically close enough at the end to keep everyone interested in the outcome.

Conclusion

The game is very intensive, and gives the players an excellent chance to practice their Analysis Paralysis skills. When played properly, you will feel intellectually drained - much like after a test you've spent all night studying for. It's a wonderful feeling, but not for everyone (particularly those who do not like to think).

I personally really enjoy the feel of the game, and analyzing the game after it's been played. It is not a perfect game, but then no game is. It has flaws, and if you're playing with someone who is not enjoying it, it can be as fun as dragging a large rock through mud. But if you enjoy strategy, and don't need your games to finish within 1.5 hours, this is a great game to add to your collection and play.

#4 might still be a bit high in the end, but it deserves to be highly ranked, and I think this game will (and should) remain in the Top Ten for quite some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Yes it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. It's a great combination of tactics and strategy, interaction with players, and various routes to victory. The games 'feel' depends very much on your opponents overall strategy. The rules are relatively straight forward and I think there's about one tricky area to understand. But out of that there's a game of depth. But one you can play relatively fast with little downtime.

Hype? If there was, it was because it was a solid game to begin with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wu
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I still love playing it with my wife and friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
The dust has settled a bit from the game's quick ascension to #2, and its subsequent slow descent to #4. Does it deserve this high ranking?

No, it doesn't deserve to be #4. That's because it's far, far better than Tigris and Euphrates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To respond to the question posted at the top of the thread, I recently downgraded my initial rating of Caylus from what was at the time a just below-average (compared to other raters) rating of 8 to a really below-average but better than most games rating of 6. Why? While I played the game about 35 times in the first 6-9 months it came out, I have only played it twice in the past 9 months or so and passed playing it at all at like three major gaming conventions (WBC, EuroQuest and PrezCon) simply because there were other games out there I wanted to play more. I can understand the excitement if you're trying it out for the first time, and if you compare it to the other Essen games from Oct 2005, it was indeed a standout which is why I think it got such a tremendous boost on BGG. But if you compare it versus the recent Essen crop, it might even have trouble cracking the Top 5, as there are at least four games (Pillars, Leonardo, Imperial and Through the Ages) I enjoy playing more that I think might be better games. The replay value may not be there, frankly I see maybe one or two paths to victory and the fact that the four lines of the favor track may not be equally balanced is a concern. Don't get me wrong, it's still a solid game, and I don't think it's broke like say the Mistress on Turn 1 in St. Petersburg, but it doesn't really excite or interest me as much as several games that have come out more recently. But right now it's nowhere near my personal Top 10 which is why I dropped the rating down after the first 18 months since it came out and I started played it in Nov. 2005.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brü Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The replay value is not there?????
Huh?
You played the game 37 times!!!!!
Seems like good replay value to me.
It is just common sense that if you play the game that much you will get bored with it eventually and look to newer, flashier games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played ANY game 37 times. I'd say the replay value was definitely there for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jedit wrote:
No, it doesn't deserve to be #4. That's because it's far, far better than Tigris and Euphrates.

Agreed, but I have no idea how T&E ever got to #2.

And on the 35 times - my gaming group played Puerto Rico every week for about 3 years. I am now so sick of the game, that I have very little desire for playing it, and it takes quite a bit of effort for me to desire to play it. The game has been far too overanalyzed to me, and every game feels like you're on autopilot after the first 5 turns when everyone has settled into their tracks. Do I think it's a bad game? NO. I think it's a wonderfully designed game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But if you compare it versus the recent Essen crop, it might even have trouble cracking the Top 5, as there are at least four games (Pillars, Leonardo, Imperial and Through the Ages)

Really surprised to see Pillars of the Earth mentions as a potentially better game than Caylus. Pillars is a nice game, but the luck doesn't make it a classic in the way Caylus is.

I'd agree with you that Imperial is a fantastic game and my new favourite game.

Then again I have played Caylus over 70 times and Pillars twice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chapman
United Kingdom
Aberdeen
flag msg tools
Oh, alright - except for Codenames
badge
No, this is NOT my bloody "fursona"
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
Jedit wrote:

Agreed, but I have no idea how T&E ever got to #2.

The usual BGG tendency to enjoy a mouthful of Knizia-meat. I cannot see how anyone enjoys any of that man's games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Well, there's your answer then. If you cannot see it, then the problem clearly lies with you, and not with the others who (seem to) enjoy Knizia's games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Hmmm...

Let's see.

Components

One of the worst cover designs you ever saw. The board can be juggled around inside, which is unfortunate.
The board is well designed but the artwork could be a little less catoonish, which you clearly preferred not to be the case.
The rest of the components are not extraordinary.

Still, 4 out of 5.

Gameplay

The game is too long for about a turn or two (in Caylus that means quite a respectable amount of minutes).
I personally think it's just too long, period. That is one of the reasons I might be interested in Pillars of the Earth. It's still a resource-management game but one you can finish in about an hour. I just don't get excited by doing the same thing over and over again for two hours in a game.

In spite of this flaw, 4.5 out of 5.

Conclusion

The game is not perfect. No game is. It does not get perfect scoring on the previous sections and has some flaws that, whilst that may not be the case for you, can be quite serious for some players.

Still, a perfect score at the end of the review.

The hype is over you say? surprise I hope you manage to convey sarcasm a little better in other circumstances.

As for it's ranking... It will continue to drop as more people who rated it highly will adjust their ratings.

As far as T&E goes and the usual Knizia bashing... aren't we all tired of that yet? If you don't like the games he makes, don't play them. Rate them accordingly. But please give it a rest with the bashing and respect the ratings he gets here from others.

Edited to correct typing mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ixnay66 wrote:
I haven't played ANY game 37 times. I'd say the replay value was definitely there for you.

34 replays equates roughly 70 hours dedicated to this game (assuming all 35 plays were about 2 hours). That's nearly 3 days of straight playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hmmm...

Let's see.

Components

One of the worst cover designs you ever saw. The board can be juggled around inside, which is unfortunate.
The board is well designed but the artwork could be a little less catoonish, which you clearly preferred not to be the case.
The rest of the components are not extraordinary.

Still, 4 ou of 5.

I have complaints about the components, yes, but they are minor. Box art has no impact once you open the game itself, but it is enough of a detraction that it was the main reason for not getting perfect. The slightly cartoony castle doesn't detract anything for me at all, the rest of the art is well done enough. The rest of the components are not extraordinary, but they are perfect for what they need to be for the game - it is not overproduced.

Quote:

Gameplay

The game is too long for about a turn or two (in Caylus that means quite a respectable amount of minutes).
I personally think it's just too long, period. That is one of the reasons I might be interested in Pillars of the Earth. It's still a resource-management game but one you can finish in about an hour. I just don't get excited by doing the same thing over and over again for two hours in a game.

In spite of this flaw, 4.5 out of 5.

Yeah, the last two turns can feel like they drag in some games. I enjoy every other turn so much, however, that it gets 4.5/5.

Quote:

Conclusion

The game is not perfect. No game is. It does not get perfect scoring on the previous sections and has some flaws that, whilst that may not be the case for you, can be quite serious for some players.

Still, a perfect score at the end of the review.

The hype is over you say? surprise I hope you manage to convey sarcasm a little better in other circumstances.

While I have complaints, no game is *ever* going to be perfect, but the 5/5 stars refers to how I feel about the game altogether - how the strategy feels, how excited I am about playing the game when it is suggested, how I have enjoyed the game once it is over. These are all very different things than how I feel during those last two turns, or how I feel upon looking at the box design. They are completely separate from the big picture of the game, which is why I gave it a separate section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I suppose that means that you were not being sarcastic when you said that the hype was over.

Too bad. shake It would have been great sarcasm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:

As far as T&E goes and the usual Knizia bashing... aren't we all tired of that yet? If you don't like the games he makes, don't play them. Rate them accordingly. But please give it a rest with the bashing and respect the ratings he gets here from others.

I'm sure you appreciate the irony here.

As far as Caylus goes and the usual Caylus bashing... aren't we all tired of that yet? If you don't like the games, don't play it. Rate it accordingly. But please give it a rest with the bashing and respect the ratings it gets here from others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
I do.

I'm sure you also are able to spot the inconsistency since I did not bash Caylus. I really don't enjoy it so far, but I have yet to rate it (I still don't think I've played enough for that) and I do see the quality in the game design and why others should love it, though the components are average and game length is a problem.
What I found strange about this review was that the tone was not enthusiastic, no spectacular qualities were pointed, it even referred to an hypothetical end to the hype. Nothing extraordinary was mentioned really. But the rating in the end? Oh my... talk about hyped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallgur wrote:

But the rating in the end? Oh my... talk about hyped.

From dictionary.com

Hype
–verb (used with object)
1. to stimulate, excite, or agitate (usually fol. by up): She was hyped up at the thought of owning her own car.

Well, you said I did not present anything enthusiastically, so nope.

2. to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily: a promoter who knows how to hype a prizefight.

I believe my review was quite down-to-earth. Nope, no OMG Best-game-evers here.

3. to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usually fol. by up).

Questionable claims? I did not claim that the Provost mechanic was the best you have ever seen in your life, or any similar nonsense.

4. to trick; gull.

Do you really feel I tricked you with the review?

–noun
5. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.

Again, no OMG Best-game-evers here.

6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.

Again, I did not claim that the Provost mechanic was the best you have ever seen in your life, or any similar nonsense.

7. a swindle, deception, or trick.

Again, do you really feel I tricked you with the review?

So I ask you: where's the hype? I rated it highly, yes, but that is NOT hype. That is my own personal reflection of the game after 15 months of playing it occasionally, and enjoying every game I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
When played properly, you will feel intellectually drained - much like after a test you've spent all night studying for. It's a wonderful feeling, but not for everyone (particularly those who do not like to think).

Heh. I can just see it now...

"Hey guys! How about coming over to my house and we'll play a game that'll remind you of studying all night and then taking a grueling test the next day."

"What? That doesn't sound like fun to you?"

"Hmmpf. You must not like to think then."

Many people can think perfectly well but still don't like Caylus or any game that has all the "fun" of studying and test-taking. I do think you nailed it though, Caylus does feel like school and tests rather than fun.

Caylus will remain in the Top 10 for quite a while. So will T&E. That's much more a reflection of the gaming preferences of the membership here than it is whether Caylus or T&E are really two of the top ten games on the planet. I can certainly understand the appeal of both games and it's very easy to see why they rate so high among Euro Gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
blueatheart wrote:

From dictionary.com

Hype
–verb (used with object)
1. to stimulate, excite, or agitate (usually fol. by up): She was hyped up at the thought of owning her own car.

Well, you said I did not present anything enthusiastically, so nope.

Exactly. Hence the "hyping" feeling at the rating in the end. I'll correct that phrasing later.

Quote:
2. to create interest in by flamboyant or dramatic methods; promote or publicize showily: a promoter who knows how to hype a prizefight.

I believe my review was quite down-to-earth. Nope, no OMG Best-game-evers here.

What would you rate a best-game-ever, should you ever consider one worthy of the title? You gave Caylus a perfect score without feeling excited about it. Without finding it's components better than average. Without considering it's timing good as it does take too long to finish.

Quote:
3. to intensify (advertising, promotion, or publicity) by ingenious or questionable claims, methods, etc. (usually fol. by up).

Questionable claims? I did not claim that the Provost mechanic was the best you have ever seen in your life, or any similar nonsense.

Your claims about the game were average, true. Nothing extraordinary. Still, you rate it a perfect 5/5. It may not be questionable, but it is incoherent. Sorry.

Quote:
4. to trick; gull.

Do you really feel I tricked you with the review?

It is impossible for a review to trick me. I might find that the contents and comments of the review are not in accordance to the conclusion and point that out, as was the case, but I would never feel tricked by any review. For that to happen I would have to put some of my own opinions or feelings or money in it. I don't do that with any reviews. I might read some in order to have some basic knowledge of the game but ultimately my opinion will be based on playing the game.

Quote:
–noun
5. exaggerated publicity; hoopla.

Again, no OMG Best-game-evers here.

See above.

Quote:
6. an ingenious or questionable claim, method, etc., used in advertising, promotion, or publicity to intensify the effect.

Again, I did not claim that the Provost mechanic was the best you have ever seen in your life, or any similar nonsense.

See above.

Quote:
7. a swindle, deception, or trick.

Again, do you really feel I tricked you with the review?

See above.

Quote:
So I ask you: where's the hype? I rated it highly, yes, but that is NOT hype. That is my own personal reflection of the game after 15 months of playing it occasionally, and enjoying every game I've played.

You rated it highly after presenting it as a flawed game (average components and presentation, bad packaging, too long play time) and not pointing out any extraordinary qualities. You and dictionary.com may not consider that hype. Fine. I'll say instead that your review is incoherent in it's presentation of the various aspects and quality of the game in relation to its rating overall. Happier? Would you like to ask dictionary.com whether that is more accurate?
I only wonder what you would rate a game that did not have such flaws and also provided you with such a challenge and fun as Caylus. 6 out of 5? a lot of OMGs and best-game-evers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
DWTripp wrote:
Caylus will remain in the Top 10 for quite a while. So will T&E. That's much more a reflection of the gaming preferences of the membership here than it is whether Caylus or T&E are really two of the top ten games on the planet. I can certainly understand the appeal of both games and it's very easy to see why they rate so high among Euro Gamers.

I hope we won't go into that absurd Euro-Ameri-whatever discussion.
I suppose you would consider me a Euro-something. I think most of the games I play fit under that "label", but in this particular case that would be strange as I do like T&E and I do not like Caylus. What does that make me? A middle-of-the-ocean-gamer? A mars-gamer? Maybe even a non-gamer...
The top 10 games will always be dependent on the group of people you ask. To know the top 10 games in the world you would have to ask the whole world and I don't think, even so, it would matter for anything.
The classification here at the BGG is a reflection of the preferences of it's "users-raters" ... I never heard it was supposed to mean anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Quote:
I hope we won't go into that absurd Euro-Ameri-whatever discussion.

Well Pedro, I too find it interesting that Caylus is ranked highly despite it's flaws. So I was curious about this review. My response was really focused around the OP's comment that people who don't view the drudgery he described as fun are people who don't think.

The sarcasm and subtle slam the OP used to cast a shadow of doubt on the intelligence level of gamers who aren't Caylus fans is more likely to stir up discussion of the relative merits of test-like Euros versus say, Ameritrash or war games than anything I said.

I also agree that this is a Euro Game Centric site, at least as far as the membership that takes the time to rate games. My point about ratings is that games like T&E or Caylus don't have popular appeal not because the general public isn't intelligent enough to play them, but because the general public doesn't find them to be fun. I like Backgammon about 100 times more than I liked Caylus. But Backgammon is rated #535 on BGG despite having an appeal beyond BGG that dwarfs whatever appeal Caylus might ever attain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Silva
Portugal
Matosinhos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
The ranking of Caylus does not bother me in the least. I don't believe that the hype is over, at least not it's effect on the game ranking anyway.
I can kind of understand that rating because of said hype and some lack of direct "opposition", so to speak, at it's launch date. I believe that there are a lot of people who have yet to adjust their rating of Caylus... there are many still doing it for Puerto Rico because they have realised that they just don't play the game any more or that they suddenly feel unwilling to play it when suggested. The fact that the top games vary so little over time demonstrates that people don't update their ratings frequently more than whether one game is better than another.
The case of this particular review was different. I found it to be incoherent, that's why I mentioned the discrepancy between the opinions voiced during the review and the final conclusion.

You do have an interesting point regarding the Euro-centricity of this site, but I don't think that definition or observation is in any way useful. Don't take that as a direct criticism or personal attack, it's just like the division of boardgames between Euro or Ameritrash. It serves no purpose and brings no advantage to the site or the hobby, in my view.
Games are games... People rate them here according to how they fell about playing the games and not their relative quality or merits, at least, those are the guidelines. The purpose of the site and the ratings is not to find the best-game-ever of the moment.

I would argue, though, mostly for conversation sake, that most people who rate games here do not trouble with traditional games. They are more interested in non-traditional games, usually that's what brings them here in the first place, and so don't rate those. At least that's what happens to me. There are traditional games that I am familiar with that I have not rated. Bridge, Chess, Monopoly, etc...

As a quick analysis I checked the number of ratings between Caylus and Backgammon and, in spite of being on the database for a much shorter period of time, Caylus has 3856 ratings versus 2154 for Backgammon. I don't think that that many people here do not know what Backgammon is or how it is played. It just is something that is taken for granted... Even Chess has less ratings than Caylus... And I don't believe that many people find Caylus a better game than Chess. They just prefer to play Caylus. In my case it would be a close call... I'd probably go for Caylus to give it one more chance to win me over. Chess doesn't have a chance any more.

I am personally glad, though, that the ratings don't reflect the feelings of the general public... otherwise Monopoly would be number one. And Monopoly sucks. I don't know if it's Euro or Ameri... it's just trash!

The general public finds Big Brother interesting. The general public reads Danielle Steel and buys Britney Spears CDs. The general public eats what the general industry provides. There are some points where I am as general public as the rest, though I strive to make them as few as possible, but when it comes to games I am glad to not be part of it and I make an effort to bring others away from it in this aspect of their lives. So, what appeals to the general public is not reflected here, and there is no reason why it should. Is there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

The sarcasm and subtle slam the OP used to cast a shadow of doubt on the intelligence level of gamers who aren't Caylus fans is more likely to stir up discussion of the relative merits of test-like Euros versus say, Ameritrash or war games than anything I said.

Actually, my intent in the comment was to say that those who do not like to think will not like Caylus. The converse is not necessarily true, and I would certainly not claim this. Nothing to slam on the people who don't like Caylus - they have their reasons for not doing so.

I realize even this could sound sarcastic, but I mean it in the most genuine way - the implication was not properly defined in my original sentence, but this is what I meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.