Secrets of the Lost Tomb» Forums » General

Subject: Which expansions to get? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I finally got the chance to order the core game, super excited to finally get to play it!

Now, I can't afford to order all of the expansions on my next order, so I was wondering which ones to start with... I have an affinity with all things Atlantis, so I'm tempted get the" Atlantis and the mystery of the 13 " one and another one but I dont know where to start...

Is there an order of some kind to them, or a new gameplay mechanic in one of them that makes it more worth it that the others?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is some of what each expansion offers:
These include scenarios:
Ancient Myths & Legends - lots more characters and scenarios (6 of each)
The Great Apocalypse - Journey to the Tomb add-on, Apocalypse theme (3 scenarios, 2 characters)
Reign of Terror - Campaign book (2 scenarios, 2 characters)
Fate's Fortune - Traitor Mechanic and leveling up adventurers. (3 scenarios)

These add more tiles:
Passages & Perils - just more tiles, including stairs and lots more traps.
Atlantis - 2 more floors that make scenarios harder.

Mini-expansion:
Elite Missions - additional things that have to be done while still winning the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are all worthwhile, but I would probably get Myths & Legends next. I personally really like the scenarios in that expansion.

Reign of Terror is great because it adds a campaign book but might be better to wait until you have more expansions so you can play a longer campaign. It works like Descent with a quest tree so if you lose a scenario, you play the next one along the branch and if you win, you choose one of the scenarios on the next branch down. The scenarios themselves do not tie together but the campaign book creates an interesting storyline that you read and uncover after each scenario.

Passages and Perils adds about 30 new tiles to the game which can be both a help and a hinderance. You get secret passages that link the various levels of the tomb but you also get a lot more traps and the addition of all the extra tiles can make it harder to win some scenarios that require you to locate a specific room. As with all the parts of this game, you can choose to only include the tiles you want to change the difficulty. I use this expansion probably half the time as it does increase the game length.

Fates Fortune is another must have for my group as we love traitor mechanics. It comes with a short, 3 scenario campaign (which we've yet to play) and has a new set of cards hero & traitor and a counter wheel for tracking fate points. Fate points are awarded during the upkeep phase and for killing monsters and passing non-combat checks. The cards also have specific goals on them which award 1 to 5 points for doing them. The expansion also comes with a complete set of character cards to replace the ones from the core and other expansions and these are double sided. When you reach 20 fate points, your character levels up and you flip the card to the more powerful side. If you are a traitor, you then roll a die to discover what kind of traitorous thing you will be doing. Initially, the fate points seem overpowered but it means that each character should be able to level up by the mid point of any scenario. This expansion is fully compatible with all the other scenarios and really adds a lot to the game.

I bought everything except the minis (the game really doesn't need them, the standees work fine) and have still not played everything. We have done the campaign and most of the scenarios. We have yet to try any of the Atlantis ones, the Fates Fortune campaign and some of the Epic Missions there is so much content.

Whatever expansions you choose, you will enjoy, they are all really very good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Troy
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two expansions to start with are:
- Ancient Myths & Legends
- Passages and Perils

The first one gives you the most new scenarios in a single expansion, and they are really good scenarios.

The second one greatly expands the room tile stack, providing a lot more variety in the tomb layout each time you re-play a scenario. My wife and I have played the game dozens of times, and it's nice to not see the same tiles each play.

I haven't tried using the Atlantis expansion yet. When I looked at it, it seemed to just add more difficulty and more stuff to manage without adding to the "fun factor". However, that assessment could change once I try it out. I just wouldn't make it your first expansion, even considering your affinity for Atlantis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riley Crowder
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree with this assessment. These are the 2 best places to start.

The only comment I would add is with the Passages and Perils I only put one tile of each passage tile in the actual deck, and keep the rest in a separate pool, so I can pull them out of that pool and quickly place them (otherwise you have to sort through all of your tiles to find the other pieces (I have the available options in the deck scattered between all of the floors).

mvettemagred wrote:
The two expansions to start with are:
- Ancient Myths & Legends
- Passages and Perils

The first one gives you the most new scenarios in a single expansion, and they are really good scenarios.

The second one greatly expands the room tile stack, providing a lot more variety in the tomb layout each time you re-play a scenario. My wife and I have played the game dozens of times, and it's nice to not see the same tiles each play.

I haven't tried using the Atlantis expansion yet. When I looked at it, it seemed to just add more difficulty and more stuff to manage without adding to the "fun factor". However, that assessment could change once I try it out. I just wouldn't make it your first expansion, even considering your affinity for Atlantis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do anyone know the availablility of plastic minis for the expansions?
I bought the core + minis in the kickstarter since I was not sure we'd like it, but we love the game!

I want both the expansions and the minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

We do have a distributor in Germany... Brave New World!

See if anyone is carrying the product through them. They should have some in stock. If not, our UK distributor Spiral Galaxy Games just got a shipment of all game items and minis

Thanks for your support!

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Im still axiously waiting for canadian distributor Lion rampants to get ANY of the product line, let alone the minis.... Cant wait to get my hands on it all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed!

We're working hard to figure out a way to try to ship from the US, however, it won't be very affordable sorry to say. Our Online store should be up very soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hockey Dad
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Im still axiously waiting for canadian distributor Lion rampants to get ANY of the product line, let alone the minis.... Cant wait to get my hands on it all!

MeepleMart (online) in Toronto appears to have most of the expansions (and minis) in stock. (I picked up extra dice from them a while ago as I have most of the expansions already.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Batarlis
United States
Springfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice!!! Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.