Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Klingon/Fed build help and advice :) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
danny bennet
msg tools
badge
mbmb
Hey folks, Got a build ive put together that could use some tweaking. Ive play tested it against several non-cloaking builds and it has been very successful. I usually lose the Lakota as after ive fired my stasis field and used boarding party it becomes the biggest threat but by then its too late and I'm able to beat down whats left with my two klingon ships with relative ease.

Heres the build.

U.S.S. Lakota [26]
- Jean-Luc Picard 9 (Captain) [6]
- Upgraded Phasers [3]
- Dorsal Phaser Array [4]
- Mr. Spock [5]
- Hikaru Sulu [3]
Ship Total: 47 SP

I.K.S. Maht-H'A [28]
- Koloth 7 (Captain) [4]
- Projected Stasis Field [5]
- Drex [4]
Ship Total: 41 SP

I.K.S. Negh'var [30]
- Martok 8 (Captain) [5]
- Worf [2]
- Klingon Boarding Party [5]
Ship Total: 42 SP

Fleet Total: 130 SP

My basic plan of action is to use stasis field against the key ship in the fleet, use boarding party if the crew will likely keep it alive this turn. Then fire all 3 ships into the ship that has shields down using drex as a free action from martok.

100% of the time against non cloakers iv been able to wipe the ship I use it on.

Then I turn the game into a dogfight of just keeping their ships in my firing arcs.

The lakota, uses sulu to defend and scans every turn for spock.

I'm looking to improve the build and maybe add something that can help me against romulan pure or any other claoking fleets that ill likely have more trouble with.

Here are the expansions I have access to.

Fed:
Uss intrepid
Enterprise-D
Enterprise- E
Tinyprise
Voyager
Lakota
HMS Bounty
USS reliant
the delta flyer
USS cairo

Klingon:
Rotarian
Negh'var
Gr'oth
Maht-h'a
Ning'toa

Xindi:
Weapon zero
Reptilian
Insectoid

I've also managed to get my hands on a second Klingon boarding party and a second projected stasis field. Would it be worth running all four at an OP even where I dont know what ill be running against.

Oh, and I play ship pure

Any and all critiques and advice is very welcome!

Thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like what you have going on here. Your Klingon ships combo up nicely for a deadly first pass, and then the Lakota has the staying power and dice quality to mop up even if one or both of your Klingon ships are lost during the course of the battle.

Your timing is good and your action economy is balanced.

Here's how the first pass goes as I see it:
--opponent's ships with lower skilled captains (if any) move and perform actions
-Maht-H'A moves and activates PSF
--likely 1 or 2 opponent's ships move and perform actions
-Lakota moves, uses Sulu's action, and JLP free Scan for Spock
--possible (but unlikely) 1 opponent's ship with high skilled captain + admiral or other skill modifier moves and performs actions.
-Negh'Var moves, Martok gives Maht-H'A an action for Drex, takes an action bar action if PSF did it's job or ship ability action if it did not, and then activates Klingon Boarding Party as a free action.

-Negh'Var attacks ship that was targeted with PSF and KBP with 5 (6 if range1) unmodified dice, likely resulting in 2 or 3 hits.
--possible (but unlikely) 1 opponent's ship with high skilled captain + admiral or other skill modifier attacks.
-Lakota attacks same ship (if not yet destroyed) with 4 (5 if range1) attack dice improved by Spock likely resulting in 3 hits and probably destroying targeted ship.
--likely 1 or 2 opponent's ships attack.
-Maht-H'A attacks with 5 (6 if range1) dice improved by Drex likely resulting in 2 or 3 hits + 1 crit.
--opponent's remaining ships attack

The target ship for your first pass has likely been hit with 8 or 9 regular hits and at least 1 crit and has rolled to evade 3 times. All upgrades are disabled, so unless its ship ability can negate attacks or boost defense, this ship is probably toast. Very well done.

There are a few things you'll have to look out for, such as opponent's abilities that can disable, discard, or steal PSF or KBP. In most cases I can see though, you should come out of the first pass with almost certainly taking out at least one opponent ship and they might have been able to bring down either the Maht-H'A or the Negh'Var. Play aggressively with your Klingon ships for the remainder of the match and press the attack as hard as you can. Don't worry too much about losing them after the first pass. The Lakota can mop up what's left as long as Sulu can keep it alive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph van der Jagt
Canada
flag msg tools
There are certainly things to like in this fleet but I feel like the Lakota is the weak point. The Dorsal Phaser Array only fires at 3-dice and Excelsior ships aren't that maneuverable so you're going to be firing from that after the first pass more often than that.

I would use the 47 points on the Delta Flyer and put your PSF there, freeing up your Klingon ships to attack with their full dice. As long as they are moving after it, the Klingon Boarding Party can still trigger, as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdvanderjagt wrote:
There are certainly things to like in this fleet but I feel like the Lakota is the weak point. The Dorsal Phaser Array only fires at 3-dice and Excelsior ships aren't that maneuverable so you're going to be firing from that after the first pass more often than that.

I would use the 47 points on the Delta Flyer and put your PSF there, freeing up your Klingon ships to attack with their full dice. As long as they are moving after it, the Klingon Boarding Party can still trigger, as well.

I agree with you about the Lakota not really being the optimal ship for this job, but based on the available ships listed in the original post I'm not sure if there's a better option. Delta Flyer + PSF is an interesting idea, but I think I would rather have a full-sized ship. Maybe swapping the Lakota for Voyager and dropping Dorsal Phaser Array is a better option. You would have to swap out Upgraded Phasers for something else since it can't be assigned to Voyager, but fortunately the Federation has a plethora of excellent 3-point upgrades. I'm sure there's something useful you can find and use instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with the others, the Lakota is a weak point in the build having sub par movement and your spending 7 points to get a 4 forward attack and a 3 360 attack.

Voyager can do that for only 4 points more and it will be a 4 dice 360 attack, saving yourself 3 points and gaining an evade.

And who's the 3 point Fed commander who gets all the chicks? Hood Riker!

I.K.S. Maht-H'A [28]
- Koloth 7 (Captain) [4]
- Projected Stasis Field [5]
- Drex [4]
Ship Total: 41 SP

I.K.S. Negh'var [30]
- Martok 8 (Captain) [5]
- Worf [2]
- Klingon Boarding Party [5]
Ship Total: 42 SP

U.S.S. Voyager [30]
- Jean-Luc Picard 9 (Captain) [6]
- William T. Riker [3]
- Hikaru Sulu [3]
- Mr. Spock [5]
Ship Total: 47 SP

Fleet Total: 130 SP

Generated by Utopia
http://kfnexus.github.io/staw-utopia/

Also, if you could not beg, steal or borrow a hood riker, then Deanna Try from the E would give you some disabling ability and a battlestations for the turn she is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
He doesn't have the Hood. So swap out Riker for the Reliant version of Chekov
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Church14 wrote:
He doesn't have the Hood. So swap out Riker for the Reliant version of Chekov

Oh yeh, i forgot that is the ship he came on. For some reason I thought he came on the enterprise refit.

Totally do this, its a given since the Voyager has no red moves on its dial

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdvanderjagt wrote:

I would use the 47 points on the Delta Flyer and put your PSF there

He said he only plays ship pure, so he can't put PSF on the flyer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph van der Jagt
Canada
flag msg tools
The PSF starts on the Klingon ship and then you transfer it to the Flyer when it docks. All above board, but it's a nice little surprise for your enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hensel
United States
Kyle
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdvanderjagt wrote:
The PSF starts on the Klingon ship and then you transfer it to the Flyer when it docks. All above board, but it's a nice little surprise for your enemies.

Excellent point! I stopped playing competitively shortly before we started seeing shuttles in the game, so I tend to overlook their full usefulness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jdvanderjagt wrote:

That's a possibility, and even a loaded flyer will leave him 10 points or so to put back to his Klingon ships. Though it is risky, even with Sulu, lowering your shields on a 2 hull ship is going to be a dead 2 hull ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
The local TO ruled against transferring tech between different factions in ship pure, so the delta flyer psf plan is a non starter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
The local TO ruled against transferring tech between different factions in ship pure, so the delta flyer psf plan is a non starter.

That makes sense, otherwise it would go against the spirit of playing ship pure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.