Galaxy Defenders» Forums » General

Subject: Finally took the plunge! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been wanting this game for years, but never got the opportunity to get it until today!
Super exited to get it and play, and I'm already thinking about which expansions to get...

They are kind of expensive here is Canada, so I'll only be able to afford one of the big ones first, and possibly either the fifth column or the alien one at first if they are worth it...
Is there a specific order to them? Should I start with extinction protocol?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Kill aliens! Accomplish objectives! Get your GD Wings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Bertrand
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yeah I know, I have the completionist bug that makes it very hard for me to just appreciate a base game while knowing there are a bunch of amazing looking expansions out there that if I wait too long I might miss the chance to get them. Happened to me once or twice and now I just try and get it all as soon as I know that I like something.
But yes, I intend on playing the hell out of it next week before placing an order, I'll know by then if I want them enough, especially at the 100$ each price tag!( I know right? Canadians get screwed these days with the $ value)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansions for GD are more like chapters. There's no real reason to get an expansion until you have finished the campaign in the base game, because it is primarily a follow up campaign. There are almost no rules you can use in the base game scenarios.

So enjoy your base game first and save up for the next chapter!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to an awesome game!

In terms of story, Galaxy Defenders: Operation Strikeback comes first, then Galaxy Defenders: Extinction Protocol, so you will probably want to get Operation Strikeback as your first big box expansion.

In terms of the small expansions, you won't need the "elite alien army" expansion until you get really good. All it does is add more difficult aliens, and trust me the ones in the base game box are hard enough at first. If you want a small expansion I would recommend the fifth column expansion in order to get a wider variety of playable characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Yeah I know, I have the completionist bug that makes it very hard for me to just appreciate a base game while knowing there are a bunch of amazing looking expansions out there that if I wait too long I might miss the chance to get them. Happened to me once or twice and now I just try and get it all as soon as I know that I like something.
But yes, I intend on playing the hell out of it next week before placing an order, I'll know by then if I want them enough, especially at the 100$ each price tag!( I know right? Canadians get screwed these days with the $ value)

$65 Cdn here:

http://store.401games.ca/catalog/6318806/galaxy-defenders---...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
The expansions for GD are more like chapters. There's no real reason to get an expansion until you have finished the campaign in the base game, because it is primarily a follow up campaign. There are almost no rules you can use in the base game scenarios.

So enjoy your base game first and save up for the next chapter!

What he said! Welcome to Galaxy Defenders! Don't get too attached to your newly levelled up agent, they're all cannon fodder! Now go blast some aliens. Good luck! The world is counting on you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard agent!
Be prepared cause GD aliens hit very hard! But with the right tactics, you can save the day!
Be There or Be Square!cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any need to track down the Kickstarter stuff? Wanting to get into this game myself but the completionist in me wants everything lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need is a strong word. If it's exclusive to is backers then, by definition it's not really necessary. Otherwise non-backers would all have broken games. It really comes down to whether you will feel like you're missing something. Trust me, you probably won't. There's so much going on already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grand - as long as there's nothing important missing I can resist some bling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Smith
United States
West Nyack
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can download some alternative agents from the GD website which are nice if you can live without "proper" figures for them. (Or maybe find some good subsitutes. If you do, let us know what/where.)

There's also some missions available, but they (at least some of them) require the Kickstarter extras which is a shame.

Just to reiterate what others said about the Elite Alien packs ... I have those ... and it's going to be a while before I need them. That said, I was toying with the idea of starting a new campaign and throwing some of them in just to see how badly they kick my butt. whistle

Thought I was doing pretty well until I got to Mission 5.

I've also got the 5th Column, which is nice, but no need to hurry to get it. I'd rather it had been the Kickstarter agents as the 5th Column seems sort of generic to me. In fairness, I haven't actually used them yet.

Great game. Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Heron
United Kingdom
Bangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:

There's also some missions available, but they (at least some of them) require the Kickstarter extras which is a shame.

Curses! Now the need is upon me - where the heck am I going to get a pledge lol?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, the app is supposed (or may have already gotten) a lot of the KS exclusive content added to it, so that non-backers can potentially play with it. You would just need a token for those figures you don't own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wsmithjr wrote:
You can download some alternative agents from the GD website which are nice if you can live without "proper" figures for them. (Or maybe find some good subsitutes. If you do, let us know what/where.)

Those KS agents were generally based on popular 80s movie icons so it shouldn't be that hard to find reasonable substitutes. For example, I believe Hasslefree Miniatures has a Ripley mini.

With that said, many models will be at 28mm scale rather than 32mm scale which GD uses. In the case of Ripley, that may not be an issue but having a Predator mini that is slightly smaller than everything else might look a little odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.