Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'd like to get your opinion on the "appropriateness" of some content I'd like to recreate on the Geek from my personal blog. I'm asking now because it would be a lot of work for me (lots of images) and I'd rather get a "no" now instead of after doing all that uploading.

I've asked a couple of the moderators via private message for their opinion, but I haven't heard back (from one, at least; the first referred me to the other), so I'm asking you guys. Here are links to the article (it's a two parter):

WARNING: Adult language ahead

http://www.michaelbechard.com/blog/bastion-and-tbgftc-review...
http://www.michaelbechard.com/blog/bastion-and-tbgftc-review...

So, there's a couple of potential issues.

1. Language - I know BGG is a fairly family-friendly site, so I'm wondering if I bleeped out two of the four letters of dirty words if that would be ok.
2. Images - The images are all screen caps of movies with word balloons edited in; no game-specific content at all (other than the words). I'm pretty sure this falls under fair use as transformative parody, but I don't know how BGG would feel about having these images on their servers.
3. Content - Yes, it's got review stuff and descriptions in it, but most of the content falls squarely in the entertainment category, so....?

What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Michael Bechard

EDIT: fixed the broken link to pt. 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ask:

Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb

Maybe this will help:

Poll
Do you think this content is...
  Yes No
Appropriate?
Content you want?
Content you'll read?
      14 answers
Poll created by Tall_Walt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the poll, Walt! Good idea.

I did ask Octavian, over two days ago, but I haven't heard back.

Thanks,
Michael Bechard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
gogmagog wrote:
So, there's a couple of potential issues.

1. Language - I know BGG is a fairly family-friendly site, so I'm wondering if I bleeped out two of the four letters of dirty words if that would be ok.

This is not an issue. Fuck can and does appear all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludes
United States
Honor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I could be wrong, but there is a reason you don't see many contests on BGG - they aren't generally allowed. That is unless you could somehow co-opt with BGG as the high profile twice-/thrice- weekly contests are.

Speaking of those contests, someone else you might try contacting if you haven't tried already:
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb

Kudos on checking ahead of time, it would have been a shame to see all your work go for naught.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
Thanks for the poll, Walt! Good idea.

I did ask Octavian, over two days ago, but I haven't heard back.

You're welcome. Appropriateness aside, I'm not seeing much interest as the poll stands. It may just not work with BGGers; we take games pretty seriously.

Matt's a busy guy, but he's the final authority, pretty much.

I didn't notice that it was a contest. If it is then, yes, you need to work something out with Chad, probably involving money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There's no contest at all. I just wanted to share the content on BGG. I'll try again with Octavian, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.