Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started watching the rules video on the Kickstarter page and immediately thought, "Hey, this sounds just like Blood Bowl" until I got the the part about the cards and the extra actions and such. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get much further before other responsibilities pulled me away. I left the video just in time to see a player take his second activation within a turn (which seemed a little overpowered to me, but then again, I'm thinking in Blood Bowl terms). So yea, I guess I should go back and watch the rest of the video, but until I do, the question remains:

Is this different enough from/better than Blood Bowl that I should consider making the switch from one of my all time favorite games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's better in most every way, though it doesn't have nearly as much brutality as blood bowl and doesn't have injuries. But it is much more like football, much quicker, much more engaging, no cages, and no clawpomb.

Also, nice microbadges! Lotr fans unite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, I might take the plunge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Kale
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
snyderman wrote:
I started watching the rules video on the Kickstarter page and immediately thought, "Hey, this sounds just like Blood Bowl" until I got the the part about the cards and the extra actions and such. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to get much further before other responsibilities pulled me away. I left the video just in time to see a player take his second activation within a turn (which seemed a little overpowered to me, but then again, I'm thinking in Blood Bowl terms). So yea, I guess I should go back and watch the rest of the video, but until I do, the question remains:

Is this different enough from/better than Blood Bowl that I should consider making the switch from one of my all time favorite games?

They're completely different animals. I've been playing Blood Bowl for 20+ years, and I love it, but Techno Bowl is far more fast-paced, and a lot more fluid. The mechanics are totally different, and so are the strategies. If you like sports strategy games, I'd say it's a must-have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
It's better in most every way

That's up for debate as that's completely your opinion. I love Blood Bowl and have played it since the first edition. I backed this project as it appears to be a faster paced version, just without the brutality and with easier rules. They both will appeal to various players. I'm sure each will get a hefty amount of playtime with my group either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah but don't forget that you can do some flagrant fouling in one of the game modes. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Spivey
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
snyderman wrote:

This is a Blood Bowl podcast interview by two hosts that are long time players that saw the game in action at GenCon.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1544172954/techno-bowl-...

And as General Kale said, this is a completely different animal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Techno Bowl have a campaign mode like Blood Bowl, where players gain skills and improve as you play through an entire season? That's one of the big draws of games like Blood Bowl and Necromunda.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geobaldi5 wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:

That's up for debate as that's completely your opinion. I love Blood Bowl and have played it since the first edition. I backed this project as it appears to be a faster paced version, just without the brutality and with easier rules. They both will appeal to various players. I'm sure each will get a hefty amount of playtime with my group either way.

I like the "without the brutality" part. It seems to put both teams on an equal playing field. Blood Bowl has that "I'm playing dwarves so I want a physical smashing game, while you're playing Skaven and want to score fast points" kind of feel, which has its appeal I suppose. I'll definitely look more into Techno Bowl.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snyderman wrote:
Does Techno Bowl have a campaign mode like Blood Bowl, where players gain skills and improve as you play through an entire season? That's one of the big draws of games like Blood Bowl and Necromunda.

From what I understand, there will be a franchise mode with salaries, skill development, free agents, and the like. That's about all I'm aware of currently as far as that goes. Brent has yet to elaborate more on that subject Or if he has, I haven't seen it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett
United States
Presque Isle
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geobaldi5 wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:

True, I'm not the biggest fan of BB. It's just too solved for me. It's missing the unpredictability of sport (on the other hand, I can see why people might want the fairly predictable strategies for a tournament game). BB always offered so much, and yet never quite delivered any of it for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Snyder
United States
Selinsgrove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toenail21 wrote:
geobaldi5 wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:

True, I'm not the biggest fan of BB. It's just too solved for me. It's missing the unpredictability of sport (on the other hand, I can see why people might want the fairly predictable strategies for a tournament game). BB always offered so much, and yet never quite delivered any of it for me.

I'm going to disagree with you in this one. I see Blood Bowl as all about risk management, knowing that one failure ends your turn, so you try to do the sure thing moves first, then the risky things later. For instance, to dodge away from an opponent is a die roll rather than just a movement cost in Techno Bowl. That seems to lack unpredictability to me. And if strategies are solved and predictable, maybe it's the local meta or play style that's to blame. I've played games where my opponent has said during a game, "Your team X is way overpowered and my team Y never stands a chance." Then I offer to switch sides next game and win with that other team. I'd argue that it's not broken or solved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K A
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, this would provide the player with a lot larger team selection without the minis cost (and painting) of Blood Bowl. I must admit though that I immediately thought about the player minis that can be bought through tudor games since they also have number stickers for you to choose from...up would go the cost.

edit: just saw the other thread that discusses these and other player minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snyderman wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:
geobaldi5 wrote:
Toenail21 wrote:

I'm going to disagree with you in this one. I see Blood Bowl as all about risk management, knowing that one failure ends your turn, so you try to do the sure thing moves first, then the risky things later. For instance, to dodge away from an opponent is a die roll rather than just a movement cost in Techno Bowl. That seems to lack unpredictability to me. And if strategies are solved and predictable, maybe it's the local meta or play style that's to blame. I've played games where my opponent has said during a game, "Your team X is way overpowered and my team Y never stands a chance." Then I offer to switch sides next game and win with that other team. I'd argue that it's not broken or solved.

Yeah I've had people in the past say the same thing about team X and team Y being too powerful or underpowered. Halflings and goblin teams being especially underpowered, for example. Granted they're not the strongest, not by a long shot, but I've won a tournament in the past with a Halfling squad. You just have to know your teams' play style and learn to adjust on the fly. Nuffle being kind to your dice rolls helps a lot too. Blood Bowl can be very unpredictable at times. One strong teams for sure win matchup can easily turn into a 3-0 loss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.