3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Great games for youth group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clayton Kennedy
msg tools
Hey all,

My fiancée & I are about to start hosting a game group at our church. I call it "youth group," but in reality it's open to anyone interested in coming. The kids there range in age; a few are in high school. It's a very liberal group, and no one there is uptight at all; one of the 11 year-olds actually plays D&D 5e, so fantasy themes won't be a problem. I want to get some input on some games to consider that would be good for both kids & adults who haven't played anything beyond Parker Brothers. Here's a list of the first five we plan on bringing:

Machi Koro
Catan
Tokaido
Sushi Go
Tsuro
Carcassonne
Alhambra
Forbidden Island

It would be great to find games that would be good gateways without but won't be condescending to the kids. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
thebalch wrote:
Hey all,

My fiancée & I are about to start hosting a game group at our church. I call it "youth group," but in reality it's open to anyone interested in coming. The kids there range in age; a few are in high school. It's a very liberal group, and no one there is uptight at all; one of the 11 year-olds actually plays D&D 5e, so fantasy themes won't be a problem. I want to get some input on some games to consider that would be good for both kids & adults who haven't played anything beyond Parker Brothers. Here's a list of the first five we plan on bringing:

Machi Koro
Catan
Tokaido
Sushi Go
Tsuro
Carcassonne
Alhambra
Forbidden Island

It would be great to find games that would be good gateways without but won't be condescending to the kids. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My first suggestion would be UnNatural Selection. It works great with any age over elementary, is family-friendly, and encourages participation. It also works well with larger groups. As does Formula D. Another good one is Alhambra: The Dice Game, which is sort of Yahtzee on steroids. And lastly, King of Tokyo.

all these games have relatively simple mechanics, are easy to teach, encourage participation, and will work well with kids and adults.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our junior high kids love speed games like Jungle Speed and Dutch Blitz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.